• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi: part miyazaki, part folklore, completely awesome!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mapi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi follows the various adventures of Ginko in the world of the mushi (in a world not unlike feudal japan). These creatures are close to the essence of life itself, seen by few and often causing trouble with their powers. Ginko is a mushishi, or investigator into the mushi and the paranormal events that occur due to them.

While each episode is self-containing, each is a touching and pensive story that reminds one of Miyazaki's works, especially Princess Mononoke. The backdrop of feudal japan doesn't overwhelm the viewer in history since Ginko himself is cool, laid back and modern.

If you've watched Kino's Journey, you'd definitely like this. It lacks an overall plot, but why should that stop you from taking in the great art, story and new twist on japanese folklore?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Great! Another Mushishi fan Smile. There was actually a thread about this wonderous anime a while back. And to somewhat spread the knowledge of our newly-made "discussion compliation thread," please refer to it here, on which you will find a link to the former discussion on the Masterpiece that is Mushishi Wink.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I've bene wanting to check this one out. I heard it's been liscneced by FUNi-any word on a release date?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's supposedly in FUNi's possession. They bought the rights to the website or something like that, but there hasn't been an "official" statement saying they've licensed it for North American distribution yet. We'll have to wait for that.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
mapi wrote:
Mushishi follows the various adventures of Ginko in the world of the mushi (in a world not unlike feudal japan). These creatures are close to the essence of life itself, seen by few and often causing trouble with their powers. Ginko is a mushishi, or investigator into the mushi and the paranormal events that occur due to them.

While each episode is self-containing, each is a touching and pensive story that reminds one of Miyazaki's works, especially Princess Mononoke. The backdrop of feudal japan doesn't overwhelm the viewer in history since Ginko himself is cool, laid back and modern.

If you've watched Kino's Journey, you'd definitely like this. It lacks an overall plot, but why should that stop you from taking in the great art, story and new twist on japanese folklore?

100% true. I personally don't think my praise can do the show justice... so I don't bother. I let the incredibly high ratings speak for themselves on this one. Although some of the episodes aren't quite as breathtaking as others... This show is home to several of the best standalone episodes ever made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the show has some good storytelling, but I certainly don't think it's as amazing as others here on the forum think it is. I don't mind the slow pacing, and I think it certainly works for the show, however, the stories aren't engaging enough to make me really want to see more when each episode is over. The quality of the artwork/animation usually doesn't influence my overall opinion of a show unless it's particularly bad, so that's probably why I don't think it's anywhere near a masterpiece.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Well, it's supposedly in FUNi's possession. They bought the rights to the website or something like that, but there hasn't been an "official" statement saying they've licensed it for North American distribution yet. We'll have to wait for that.

Don't forget that not only did they get the rights (to the website) they also sent out cease and desist letters to several different fan sub groups. Personally I can't wait until Funimation releases this, when it was coming out originally I couldn't find time for it. I was going to get sub for it but since Funimation working on it I'll just wait until the dvds come out.

Delta

Last edited by Deltakiral on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I want to see this series soooooo badly. I usually always wait until a box set comes out before buying a series, but in this case I think I'm going to make an exception and buy it as it comes out.

The fact that I keep seeing this kind of statement...

mapi wrote:
If you've watched Kino's Journey, you'd definitely like this.

... is more than enough of a recommendation for me. If it's anywhere near as good at KJ it's going to end up being one my favorites.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And to somewhat spread the knowledge of our newly-made "discussion compliation thread," please refer to it here

mwahaha Anime smile

ManOfRust wrote:
... is more than enough of a recommendation for me. If it's anywhere near as good at KJ it's going to end up being one my favorites.

...is exactly what I was going to say.

So I'll say it again. If KJ ends up anywhere near the quality of Kino's Journey, I'll gladly accept the hype completely and acknowledge Mushishi as a fantastic and well-panned out series.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I've just recently finished watching this fine gem. One of the best shows I have ever seen. The art so close to nature with its simple yet complex color palate simply blew me away. The serene, creepy, yet calming nature of the music and storytelling made the show a joy to watch. I can't wait until the dvds are released if Funimation really has licensed it like they appear to be indicating.
coffee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
By far one of the most enjoyable series I've come across. The story, visuals, and music mesh perfectly to create an unrivaled masterpiece. I loved coming home from a stressful day at work and unwinding with an episode or two of Mushishi. I advocate this series to everyone I know (that has an interest in anime) to share to wealth, so to speak. News over a DVD release keeps me in constant suspense. At least I've got the upcoming manga release to sate my thirst for mushishi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Well as long as this thread's being revived anyway...

Anyone think this show will be in someway part of this big 2007 Kick off thing that Funi has been advertising like crazy? I mean we got the wacky video announcement about Haruhi, then there was the Geneon "guess the title" game to announce Rozen Maiden, and Viz comes out really early to give us Death Note and with the announcement about the upcoming download to own/rent options as their gimmick. So maybe Funi is trying something big to get their own titles noticed, although honestly just finally officially mentioning a Mushishi release alone would be enough to make me happy. No big gimmick needed just make me some DVDs. Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:09 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
Well as long as this thread's being revived anyway...

Anyone think this show will be in someway part of this big 2007 Kick off thing that Funi has been advertising like crazy? I mean we got the wacky video announcement about Haruhi, then there was the Geneon "guess the title" game to announce Rozen Maiden, and Viz comes out really early to give us Death Note and with the announcement about the upcoming download to own/rent options as their gimmick. So maybe Funi is trying something big to get their own titles noticed, although honestly just finally officially mentioning a Mushishi release alone would be enough to make me happy. No big gimmick needed just make me some DVDs. Very Happy

One of those had better be Tsubasa or xxxholic Twisted Evil

Thanks for the link! I'm going to be keeping my eye on that one! (I just saw the banner ad as I'm typing this Very Happy )
bllanosr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
I really liked Mushishi for it's little short stories. None of the episodes relate to each other so you don't have to watch it in chronological order and feel like you've missed something. However how long is the series? I've seen episodes 1-10 but never found anymore after that. When I went to little Tokyo west (Sawtelle area for those living in LA) I saw a DVD for it and it only had episodes 1-10 and didn't say Part 1 like most dvds of an anime series.
echoblues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
I give MUSHISHI a 10/10! Thats just how much I LOVE this amazing, out of this world anime! The musics, art work, setting, story-line and the characters are a PERFECT blend of one another! Even though the episodes are not related to one another, each of em is a mystery that have to be solved! *That's what I love most about Mushishi* Once revealed, you're in awe of the brilliance in em! Smile

Wanna know what happen to me after I finished watching the 1st 2 episodes? I kept on muttering Mushishi over and over again! And I kept raving on an on how gr8 Mushishi is and I practically force my friends to watch em! I think the main attraction for me in this anime is Ginko! I love him! *He reminds me of Sanji from One Piece btw* Wink All in all, Mushishi is a MASTERpiece! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2