• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures Acquire Live-Action Robotech Film Rights

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jajanken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Lol I was talking to someone about this show just a couple days ago.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Until there is a trailer, I won't believe this project has any real traction.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
How soon Hollywood forgets the disaster that was Dragonball Evolution
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Sure they have the rights but the question of when/if they actually release it. I guess Hollywood hasn't learned the issue of developmental limbo enough to stop doing this.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Why is this not dead yet? Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea?
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Great, a movie that will appeal to the 12 people who actually care about Robotech!

Hopefully it bombs or silently gets canceled and we never hear of it again.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Since I want to see Harmony Gold go the way of the dodo and for the real Macross be licensed(I really want Macross F to be licensed, damnit!), I hope Robotech live-action stays in the junk heap that Akira live-action deservely is in.

However, I wouldn't take much issue with the casting since it already was Macekred

Last edited by AbZeroNow on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's nice to know they're finally paying the Macross people for an official film, since they kind of didn't with Stealth. Rolling Eyes
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Just when people thought Robotech would become little more than a past relic, this happens. Neutral

I think Sony is going to have a really hard time trying to make a live-action adaptation of this show, since it was composed of three different sliced-up shows. Then there are the potential legality issues of each show... Would Tatsunoko Productions be okay with this live-action adaptation of "X Show?"
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Just when people thought Robotech would become little more than a past relic, this happens. Neutral

I think Sony is going to have a really hard time trying to make a live-action adaptation of this show, since it was composed of three different sliced-up shows. Then there are the potential legality issues of each show... Would Tatsunoko Productions be okay with this live-action adaptation of "X Show?"

Big West and Studio Nue own the rights to Macross(and if the American legal system would reverse that terrible decision that those Harmony Gold vultures have it for America in perpetuity since Tatsunoko never had the right to license it to HG in the first place). Yeah, I can see legal issues arising, but hopefully justice(Harmony Gold losing all rights to Macross at least) will prevail.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
^
Oh, yes...I look foward to Harmony Gold losing all right to the Macross franchise as well. It's a real shame that it never really had a chance to become popular thanks to HG being greedy. Sad
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Such a pain in the ass. Appreciate what you did in the 80's for anime, Robotech, but those days are over. We have new Macross now. Stop holding up artistic expression just to squeeze some money out of the nostalgia of some people.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Big West and Studio Nue own the rights to Macross(and if the American legal system would reverse that terrible decision that those Harmony Gold vultures have it for America in perpetuity since Tatsunoko never had the right to license it to HG in the first place). Yeah, I can see legal issues arising, but hopefully justice(Harmony Gold losing all rights to Macross at least) will prevail.

I don't think anyone's taken HG to US court yet, there IS a ruling in Japanese court. But i think most people don't want to enter the protacted fight here, not to mention the license nightmare of M7.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood knows that it's easier to license a live-action Robotech than a live-action Macross, so if they really want to make a space opera battle film, it'd have to be thru Robotech. And they don't have to adapt all 3 series neither - just the parts that they like (doubt there'd be too much complaints about that because Macross fans won't care - it's Robotech, not Macross).
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hollywood knows that it's easier to license a live-action Robotech than a live-action Macross, so if they really want to make a space opera battle film, it'd have to be thru Robotech. And they don't have to adapt all 3 series neither - just the parts that they like (doubt there'd be too much complaints about that because Macross fans won't care - it's Robotech, not Macross).

Robotech live action = Battleship or Battle Los Angeles.
Drivel. I can't see Sony making a good film out of Robotech let alone a whole franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6