• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures Acquire Live-Action Robotech Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote
The argument isn't whether the Robotech name is recognizable, because it is. The argument is that all the legal hoopla will mean Sony makes an original script and slaps the Robotech name on the finished product. Most people seeing the idea of a Robotech movie think that it's going to be a live action Macross or some expanded adaptation of Do You Remember Love? The courts will likely put the kibosh on that quickly.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
With Sony being so desperate for more new film franchises to compete against the big dogs with the film rights to Robotech now moving from WB to them, I take it that this is also a good sign that just maybe, their grip on Spider-Man isn't as strong as the earlier press releases imply.

Anyways, lets see if Sony really does want to fast track this thing or if it will instead be stuck in development hell like it was back in WB because of all of legal rights issues going on that still unfortunately prevents the rest of Macross from ever coming over to North America.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

With Sony being so desperate for more new film franchises to compete against the big dogs with the film rights to Robotech now moving from WB to them, I take it that this is also a good sign that just maybe, their grip on Spider-Man isn't as strong as the earlier press releases imply.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/spider-man-set-to-join-marvels-avengers-movie-universe-20150210
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Now, if only we had Harmony Gold just as willing to give in on Macross. Sad
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

You're comparing a legitimate entertainment company to copyright trolls.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
They didn't give anything up; in fact, it sounds more like they licensed Spidey back to Marvel. They'll still keep all the rights that matter, just with the added money maker of Spidey being in the MCU.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

You're right, Sony holding onto, and gradually releasing, Spiderman isn't a copyright troll like HG.
Fox holding on to X-Men, even until Ian McKellen dies in the saddle, is a copyright troll. Razz
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

You're right, Sony holding onto, and gradually releasing, Spiderman isn't a copyright troll like HG.
Fox holding on to X-Men, even until Ian McKellen dies in the saddle, is a copyright troll. Razz

Sony at least gave it up to Marvel. Way different from keeping every sequel item ever out of the US.

Frontier deserved a dub.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Frontier deserved a dub.

Absolutely agreed. It's a shame that that season of Macross is never going to get it thanks to all the legality complications coming from Harmony Gold. Sad
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Frontier deserved a dub.

Absolutely agreed.

I only came across Macross in the form of Macross Frontier after hearing May'n's songs from it, later discovering Yoko Kanno was the composer.

Even without an English dub, Macross Frontier is a great anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Frontier deserved a dub.

More like it was good enough not to dub.

Look at every effort to dub Macross into English. SDF, Macross II, Plus... all horrible dubs. One bad dub after another. Plus had Richard Epcar and Bryan Cranston, and it still had a lousy dub (thanks to Myung's VA not knowing how to act whatsoever).

ADV went out of their way to give Minmay her Japanese voice as her English voice... and it turns out that just because she can speak English, doesn't mean she could act in it. It was painful. And Vic Mignogna as Hikaru... peeyew. Even Monica Rial stunk in that, and that never happens.

It's like the Macross franchise has some kind of curse on English-speaking versions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Polycell:
Quote:
A) Sony Computer Entertainment isn't the same company as Sony Pictures.

Regardless of who's in charge, it's the same type of incompetence at both companies.

Tars:
Quote:
Warner Bros would have, and Sony will get what they want.

I don't think you can do a Robotech movie without having some connection to Macross. And that's probably why Warner dropped it.

Quote:
I know you'll like to pretend that Robotech has no real fandom, but it is simply not true. There being a Robotech fandom, in no way takes away from Macross.

Actually, it did take away from Macross, in terms of home video sales. Which is also a factor in why no new Macross has been licensed and/or rescued since the original series. As for the fans, buying comics is not the same as buying tickets. And it could just end up being a Watchmen-type debacle, which also probably lost money, because Warner didn't pay the right people for the movie rights.

Guilherm:
Quote:
More than you, certainly...

Yeah, because I would totally get my ass fired, because I just had to double down on a shitty knock-off of Team America.

Lyco: I thought they gave up Spider-Man.

Mr Oshawott:
Quote:
It's a shame that that season of Macross is never going to get it thanks to all the legality complications coming from Harmony Gold. Sad.

Even if HG wasn't a factor, the Japanese licensors and their record companies make more Macross prohibitively expensive to acquire.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Even if HG wasn't a factor, the Japanese licensors and their record companies make more Macross prohibitively expensive to acquire.

What makes you say that about the record companies? I see FlyingDog label on my Yoko Kanno CD's: http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/

The Flying Dog label is dedicated to anime music and I have heard of no problems about the licensing of their music for anime overseas.

From what I can see at http://www.macross.jp the franchise is very much alive, and given the re-release of Macross Frontier material on blu-ray over a year ago, there should be less of an issue with reverse imports.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

From what I can see at http://www.macross.jp the franchise is very much alive, and given the re-release of Macross Frontier material on blu-ray over a year ago, there should be less of an issue with reverse imports.

Given that the Movies BD Box has English subs, I guess I may have to set aside nearly $200 to get it. I do wonder if I can watch the movies without having seen the TV series [I don't generally use fansubs].
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
@GATSU

As long as it was just Harmony Gold, I think you would be right. But we are talking about Sony now. There will be no danger of lawsuits. If Sony really thinks the show could be a success, and they are ready to go ahead, then it will happen, and the Japanese side will go along with it. And there will probably be drinks somewhere to make the going smoother for all.

As to Warner Bros, who knows why, but it is nothing new in Hollywood. Happens all the time. Really don't think the fear of lawsuits was the reason. What is true of Sony, would be true of Warner Bros.

But as to when it will happen. Who knows. I will believe it when they actually start filming.

As it is, I will probably have to get resurrected to watch James Cameron Jr's "Battle Angel Alita" done as a tribute to his late father of "Avatar" fame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6