• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, Show By Rock!! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
That said, I love the Yuki-chan manga and Madman better get this on their AnimeLab or else I'll be finding another way to watch this.

Would think that Madman is going to get Yuki-chan, both on AnimeLab and for home release.

But, if for some strange reason they don't...at least I now know I can import it from Funi. Laughing

As for what penguintruth has been saying about the Yuki-chan series, I can see their point. If your main interest is seeing how the original cast has to handle Haruhi's powers and the situations they find themselves in, then you wouldn't be interested in a romcom involving the characters.

At the same time, no idea if penguintruth has checked the manga out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Also, it's for people who want Yuki Nagato to be Kyon's main love interest instead of Haruhi.

So, monsters. It's for monsters. Mad

It's not even real Yuki. It's moe-moe blushing KAWAII Yuki. Disgusting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
At times, Funi has reunited the main cast or most of the main cast for other shows that weren't originally Funi licenses.

Yes, but I'm talking about being able to get all the original cast members in time for a simuldubbing. My point was whether or not they'd be able to make for that window, rather than wait for a potential future home media release when they would have more time that doesn't conflict with some of the actors' schedules. Like I said before, we'll find out at some point anyway.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This is probably one of those shows I won't mind not checking out for awhile. I'll most likely wait for the dub to come out. I really hope they get Wendee and Crispin to reprise their roles. They are PERFECT as Haruhi and Kyon.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
They probably will need wait a bit since Wendee and Crispare dubbing Drrr X2 right now and probably won't be done for at least a month or more depending the schedule if they want broadcast dub it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't surprise anyone, really.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I still don't get the point of wanting a Haruhi show that basically transforms the regular show into a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy you can find with any dozens of other titles. The whole thing that makes Haruhi interesting is that it ISN'T that, that there's a twist to it.

More time should be spent adapting more stories from the novels and short story collections, and not some generic moe love fest.

Agreed, some novel adaptations would be the thing to give Haruhi a second chance, if at all possible. The Anti-SOS Brigade are awesome, and it's sad more people don't know about Micuru's brother and her future self's darker arc. I've always found it a bit saddening the anime for the most part downplayed the implications of a much more complex plot under the surface. aSomewhat unrelated, but I do get tired of people taking the "Haruhi is God" thing at face value mostly based on the anime. The novels have all but debunked that theory since Sakaki might have had her powers first.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's not even real Yuki. It's moe-moe blushing KAWAII Yuki. Disgusting.

Just because she's a different Nagato, doesn't mean she's not the same Nagato. The Yuki in Disappearance is the girl that Nagato wished to become. It may have been a rash, fluke emotional outburst that caused it, but this is the Yuki that Nagato wanted to be. Doesn't that in a way make this Nagato her truest form?

And a general statement, I'm getting a little tired of seeing the "why would anyone like this non-Haruhi-like Haruhi spin-off?" comments whenever there is anything for Yuki-chan anywhere.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with penguintruth, but I would have given this anime a chance if it was being gloriously animated by Kyoto Animation. The anime art of Yuki-chan is ugly and depressing.
Seif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't going to watch Yuki-chan but if they get the original English cast back for it, I'll give it a spin.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this is considered a spoiler or not, but one of the plot threads is spoiler[Yuki gaining her memories back.] Sorry, but I'm so sick of the hate it's getting even before its begun.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Darkabomination wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I still don't get the point of wanting a Haruhi show that basically transforms the regular show into a run-of-the-mill romantic comedy you can find with any dozens of other titles. The whole thing that makes Haruhi interesting is that it ISN'T that, that there's a twist to it.

More time should be spent adapting more stories from the novels and short story collections, and not some generic moe love fest.

Agreed, some novel adaptations would be the thing to give Haruhi a second chance, if at all possible. The Anti-SOS Brigade are awesome, and it's sad more people don't know about Micuru's brother and her future self's darker arc. I've always found it a bit saddening the anime for the most part downplayed the implications of a much more complex plot under the surface. aSomewhat unrelated, but I do get tired of people taking the "Haruhi is God" thing at face value mostly based on the anime. The novels have all but debunked that theory since Sakaki might have had her powers first.
Now you're just talking nonsense. Nothing has ever stated that the other time traveler is Michuru's brother, even the craziest of retard theories haven't thought this. And nothing has come even close to "debunking" the Haruhi is god theory. Way to be a moron and grasp onto whatever flimsy straw you found to try and be Billy Badass and be different. Sorry, but everyone has read as much of the novels as you have. There's no unlicensed source material, so whatever you're thinking, you're wrong.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
Yuki makes sense as a Funimatiom pick, however I definitely didn't think that they would get Show By Rock. I know they tend to go for more mainstream series, or series with quite a bit of fanservice, so to see them grab a thoroughly Otaku series is interesting indeed. I'll definitely be watching since it's onenof the series I'm looking forward to the most this season.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Heheh, if Funimation times it right, they should release Show By Rock just in time for the Jem reboot:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/reboot-jem-holograms-coming-big-203029675.html

That impeccable synchronization would be truly outrageous! Smile
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Nothing has ever stated that the other time traveler is Michuru's brother

Don't know if I should put this in spoilers...but, spoiler[the actual character says it (I forget his name) when they are inside Sasaki's version of closed space during Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya.]

Whether or not we can believe it is another matter, but I can't remember there being anything that would, outright, make it a lie either. spoiler[He came out and said that it was a major reason for his use of time travel.]

Actar wrote:
I don't know if this is considered a spoiler or not, but one of the plot threads is spoiler[Yuki gaining her memories back.] Sorry, but I'm so sick of the hate it's getting even before its begun.

That is pretty much the biggest event that you get in the first 6 or so volumes. I enjoy the series, and love seeing this alternate universe, but I do believe that it is light on plot, outside of being a Yuki-Kyon romcom.

Also, that only really goes for a bit over a volume's worth of material. I think it happens at the end of volume 4, and is pretty much resolved in volume 5...with a little carry over in volume 6. For the most part, the repercussions have been kind of glossed over.

Whether or not they show it having more of an impact on Kyon is another matter. But, beyond second guessing itself, it didn't make much of an impact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3