• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon BD+DVD Part Two

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vapors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
There been any word yet on when the R portion is set to be released? I recall when part I got released, they were already advertising for part II in Feb.

I really do like what they did with the dub in part I so hoping it turns out just as good with the addition of Jupiter and Venus to the mix.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
@residentgrigo

One other thing I wanted to say, yes, while there were fillers that made the story go slower, they did develop the characters and flesh them out, and I thought the action scenes in them were good.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
There been any word yet on when the R portion is set to be released? I recall when part I got released, they were already advertising for part II in Feb.

No word yet on when R is coming out but they have dubbed it so I imagine they'll mention when it comes out soon. Hopefully for R, they got Justin Sevakis to do the encode(those NIS America BDs that I have look gorgeous).
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
RE: the untranslated OP lyrics -

I also thought it was weird that they did that, but made peace with it after figuring out in episode 7 when Usagi and Naru were trying to karaoke the song to practice singing, that the lyrics were actually tweaked that way to facilitate singing along with the melody.

and RE: added dub jokes -

not gonna lie, the 'over 9000' joke they snuck in to Ami's introduction episode, when they were talking about her IQ, was so corny. But in a good way, though. Because goddamn, it wrapped back around to being so hilarious, with the way it was delivered. Didn't notice much else aside from that, though.

But yeah, video quality aside, I couldn't be any happier to reconnect with the show like this after so, so many years away from it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:
not gonna lie, the 'over 9000' joke they snuck in to Ami's introduction episode, when they were talking about her IQ, was so corny.

That's disappointing to hear. I expected that kind of writing from Funimation, but not Viz. I suppose this dub isn't much better than the old one if that's how it was handled.

-Stuart Smith
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Hazinger Zeta wrote:
not gonna lie, the 'over 9000' joke they snuck in to Ami's introduction episode, when they were talking about her IQ, was so corny.

That's disappointing to hear. I expected that kind of writing from Funimation, but not Viz. I suppose this dub isn't much better than the old one if that's how it was handled.

-Stuart Smith

It wasn't bad at all imo (literally just 'over 300' turning into 'over 9000', given how already over-the-top the concept of someone, a junior high schooler no less, having a measured IQ of >300 is) and there's nothing near close to even that that comes to mind in the rest of what I've watched so far (finished episode 20). It's just one of those things that has to be heard, I guess.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I like the manga, but no offense, I don't understand how people say the manga is better.

Probably because most of them never read it and are blindly going by what they heard was changed in the anime? Rolling Eyes

To be serious, there are only two arcs in the manga that are better than in the anime and that's Black Moon & Dream. Infinity was good in both & Dark Kingdom, while not as great as in the anime & even PGSM, was still decent.

As for Stars, that arc was so bad in the manga that it made the arc in the anime better in comparison and I hate it in the anime with a passion. spoiler[If it wasn't for the first 6 episodes with Nehellenia being as good as they were, It would have been easy to pretend that Sailor Stars didn't exist and that the anime ended at SuperS (which while not as good as the manga's Dream arc, is still enjoyable imo).]

Quote:
Another thing, Crystal, from what I've seen, hasn't really been faithful to the manga...

While this is true for Dark Kingdom (damn Shitennou changes & all of Act 12 Mad), Black Moon has been mostly faithful. The only problem is that it also exposes the one issue I personally had with that arc in the manga, that being Usagi's attitude towards Chibiusa & Mamoru. spoiler[Act 18 for example, had me not feeling sorry for her at all after Chibiusa took her brooch (unlike in R where she took it late in the show and for a very stupid reason) and I know it's going to get worse from here so that's the only thing I'm not looking forward to while watching the rest of Crystal.]
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'm not blindly going by what I see in the anime, I'm just expressing my thoughts... Mad

And I HAVE read the manga. I've seen most of the original anime, but I get the gist of what happens in there.

And to tell you the truth, the Black Moon arc is my least favorite manga act; one reason is most of the Inner Senshi getting captured for half of the arc and being extremely underdeveloped. I will also admit, I did get kinda bored reading it at first, but not anymore.
Yeah, I had issues with Usagi's attitude there too when I first read it; when she said she was going home right there and then because she thought Mamoru was thinking she was "less important" along with her friends, I was like "Usagi! Mad" kinda like when Luna used to get frustrated with her.

Honestly, though I don't remember the episode with Chibi-Usa taking the brooch all too much (it's been a while and I saw it in the horrible DiC dub), I think it was the same thing she wanted to do; go back in time and save her mother/the future.

One thing though, how was the manga act in Stars bad? It's actually one of my favorites; I like how it explained the whole thing with the Galaxy Cauldron, the evil Inner/Outer Senshi fighting against Moon, the Sailor Quartet, and what's wrong with Usagi/Mamoru getting married? The anime version of Stars is inferior to that honestly, but I still love it and think it's just as good as the manga.

SuperS is OK, but not as good as the Dream arc and the other series.

That's good that the Black Moon arc in Crystal is more faithful, but honestly, I think a shot by shot adaptation does lose character development for certain characters. I dunno if we'll even get to the Infinity arc onwards, partially because they said there'd only be 26 episodes...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
The first anime was supposed to last only 26 too.
I 100% expect them to do the whole manga as not only does it keep the brand alive (this is where all the new anime remakes are coming form after all as you can resell all your old crap too) it is also as international as an anime can be. Crystal has frankly more reach then Titan (needs remake too as they skipped all the original gore Laughing ) if you ask we.
They will be remaking this or Dragon Ball or currently Astro Boy (the Atom - The Beginning manga is amazing!) till we die and then some. So Crystal will be the definite version for a new generation and remake No.3 will be too and remake no.4 and ... but I will still go for the source in 95% of cases or the best version as Trigun or X are better tv shows then manga, the Witcher games tower over the novels and so on. Kenshin anime remake or more movies when?
I just had a quick look at a random episode of Crystal with a volume i my hands and it was very faithful to me. Just the art-style alone is very on point and i started with the old show as most of us did.The old music is good i will admit. I also like that Crystal is a real web/tv show and NOT some hacked together movie triology as Bersek and Buddha got. No more of these japan and YuGi Oh is also doing a ramake of a later in the story arc next week. Why? Because of money!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
I heard the original SM anime was only supposed to last actually 46 episodes.

I also heard it's going to be re-airing on Japanese TV in exactly 1 week, April 6th, and Crystal might be airing on TV too. I dunno how they'll do, but I hope that reception will be good.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Yes it is 46. Berp. Had they just waited at least half a year and then every season to do the next one i still would complain as adult me neither likes the mood or the characterization (anime Artemis is also way off) but it would have been a smother ride and certainly easier to sell later down the line as 200 eps. !!! + more for a 18 volumes tale that is frankly too long on it´s won shouldn´t be. YuYu Hakusho is 19 volume long but the the 112 episode anime is heavy criticized for being stretched out (or censored). That is only HALF the amount of content. 90´s season 1 is at least fine but the nonsense they pull later is what boggles my mind.
I also don´t get why some are complaining about Crsytal´s animation quality as it has about the same amount Parasyte has. Not liking that aspect is fine (the color new color direction is amazing btw.) to me but not liking the writing or direction also means that you won´t like the source of it all and the Sailor Moon manga is the most famous modern girls comic that comes to my mind.
"Fun" fact: Codename: Sailor V was longer in publication that the OG manga despite it´s 3 volume length and the anime finished only 1 week after the manga. This crap is what awaits One Piece too.

Can someone name drop a few famous female anime directors or head writers as all of animated Sailor Moon is done by men. Mari Okada (very uneven) comes to mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
I still like the manga, but I feel Crystal did a poor job capturing its tone; looking at it to me, it doesn't even resemble the tone of the original Sailor Moon. Sad

Also, I don't like the art colorings style in scenes like the battles of episodes 2 and 3 and the final battle. It's all monochrome and unappealing looking; when Gabriella reviewed Crystal she said the way it was done, very little attracts the eye; and I'd unfortunately agree on that. Sad
katscradle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
You're right - on that front, it is a good episode, and since this review was already over 1300 words, I had to do a lot of trimming. What I was unimpressed by was the Tuxedo Mask aspect of it; it felt silly and shoehorned into an otherwise nice story about Usagi getting to just be Usagi. I also wasn't thrilled spoiler[with the rest of the gang randomly showing up; it felt like it took away from the positive aspects of the episodes.]

Ah, I understand now. Yeah. I liked the Usagi being Usagi more too.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The inclusion of previously cut material makes this a release worthy of the series' fame,
Except for the "dinosaur island" episode in R, all of the episodes that were cut from the DiC dub version were in ADV's sub-only releases as well, so it's not like Viz is being totally groundbreaking here. Though I guess this is the first chance to hear those episodes dubbed.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
@katscradle

I'm kinda confused with what Rebecca's saying there... Anime dazed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5