• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - A Gluten For Punishment

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I suppose there was a reason for using the word "Gluten" instead of "Glutton" but I'm afraid I missed it. Does it have something to do with the anime about bread?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
^
no doubt
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The World God Only Knows manga spoiler about who Keima choses:

spoiler[After I saw season 3, I could see why he wound up choosing Chihiro over all the other girls. At least Tenri was able to get some closure as she also confessed to Keima. ]

Would love to see the manga come over here since the anime skipped so much between season 2 and the Tenri OVAs and what came after. The OVAs should be seen before season 3 for sure though(I am sad that Tsukiyo's and Yui's arc will never get the full treatment they deserve)
Snackster1001

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I disagree, I thought the third season was the best one. But speaking outside my opinion, how do the skipped parts of TWGOK's manga hurt the anime? None of those "missing" girls added anything to this arc of the series and in most cases, didn't even show up. The only point where this would be a good reason is yui and tsukiyo since they actually do show up in this arc as 5/7 major girls are from season 1, 2, and the OVAs (something which isn't even mentioned in the review). At best, the rest of those girls would just take away the flashbacks in the early parts of this season (and even those weren't taking away much time in the episodes). The idea that it's a 'problem' baffles me
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
The World God Only Knows manga spoiler about who Keima choses

.. which matches the anime pretty well. I just finished the BD that was reviewed but I had seen that season streaming already.

I think the reviewer doesn't give TWGOK enough credit for some things it does very well and particularly in this season. First off it develops its secondary characters really well -- the demon girl Taqua in particular. But it also treats its harem-member characters pretty well.

The whole point of the story is how the 3D girls are really so much more than the 2D girls Keima is comfortable with even though they respond pretty well to his 2D expertise. He doesn't believe it at first but he changes.

Second the schtick where Keima gets smacked by reality every now and then is brilliant and funny enough that it never gets old. The way he rolls with the punch, thinks on his feet really separates him from every other harem lead I have seen.

This actually is quite a much better anime than its reputation.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought TWGOK was a pretty enjoyable series. I still remember it as one of the very first anime I had watched when I started watching anime. Characters might be a little bit of stereotypes, but it didn't really matter to me at the time. Fun series with romance and comedy, and I especially liked Keima as a male lead. Haqua is still best girl though. Who was everyone's favorite girl?
lys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I suppose there was a reason for using the word "Gluten" instead of "Glutton" but I'm afraid I missed it. Does it have something to do with the anime about bread?

Yes, gluten is the protein in wheat flour that makes the dough sticky (and also gives a lot of people difficulty digesting it...), so it's a funny little pun for a column featuring Yakitate!! Japan.

I actually came across an unintentionally misspelled use of "gluten for punishment" just earlier today though, so I was especially amused to see it again here :)
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmm looks like another reason to be tempted to just buy Yakitate without having seen it.

And oddly enough I'm actually more interested to watch the third season of TWGOK despite it leaving out so much information. It just really sucks that the manga isn't licensed to read here (I would have seen this happening by now).
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Acchi Kocchi/Place to Place was a really endearing series. It just wanted the audience to have felt better for having watched it, and in that respect it succeeded admirably. It was cute, funny and charming, and it's a shame that it flew so far under the radar because it deserves to be seen by more people.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
A minor error in the Sankarea segment:
Quote:
She tries to kill suicide by drinking Furuya's elixir, ...

It appears the intent at one point was to say "kill herself" and at another point to state, "commit suicide", and as sometimes happens to me, the two got combined when making the change.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
How I hope that the reminder of Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai will get animated some time.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
I couldn't get into the 3rd season of TWGOL at all, and it had nothing to do with the skipped arcs. I loved the first two seasons because they were a comedy. I understand why a long running manga series would want/need to take a more serious turn toward the end... but I thought (maybe mistakenly) that the whole point of the girls in TWGOL was that they were supposed to be shallow stereotypes of galge girls. Then suddenly season 3 treated them like they were real characters and that I was supposed to care about them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Acchi Kocchi/Place to Place was a really endearing series. It just wanted the audience to have felt better for having watched it, and in that respect it succeeded admirably. It was cute, funny and charming, and it's a shame that it flew so far under the radar because it deserves to be seen by more people.

In total agreement here.

This is my go to show whenever I'm having a particularly bad day. It instantly cheers me up.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Yes, gluten is the protein in wheat flour that makes the dough sticky (and also gives a lot of people difficulty digesting it...), so it's a funny little pun for a column featuring Yakitate!! Japan.

I actually came across an unintentionally misspelled use of "gluten for punishment" just earlier today though, so I was especially amused to see it again here Smile

I loved the punny title, too, although it's kind of a mystery to me how avoiding gluten became such a trend, as I was under the impression that actual gluten allergies were rare. These days, Yakitate Japan might be seen as Gluten propaganda in certain parts of the country!

Isn't Magi also streaming on Netflix? It's really hard to find a complete list of where anime is streaming legally, actually. I hope ANN incorporates streaming info in the Encyclopedia soon,

To the pic poster; What is the manga selection in German like? Is it more varied than English, like French is, or are there less titles? I'm really curious!
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
Ah, Place to Place, probably the cutest series I've ever watched (next to K-On! and Kin iro Mosaic). It's a shame I didn't wait for the blu-ray but the dvd i got 2 Christmases ago is still great. Need to watch season 3 of God Only Knows. I'm a little iffy about the changes in tone and structure I hear it makes but I'll give it a shot. As for Yakitake I saw the first episode and...its not for me. It wasn't bad, but not my type of show, especially for 69 episodes. Those shelves are nice though, especially that manga display stand. I usually don't pay much attention to it when I'm at a bookstore but looking at it in those pics it'd be pretty badass to have in my bedroom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2