• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Character Guessing Game, Q2-2015 Round.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but that's incorrect.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
I'll go with spoiler[Ren Honoka from Knights of Sidonia]?

I've not seen that anime and I'm not sure how to tell them apart, so I'm just guessing one of them.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
That is correct.

To add to getchman's record of wrong guesses: spoiler[En is the only guess I would not have accepted, because she is the only one that can be told apart from the others without recognizing the scene--En is always frowning.]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
on the bright side, that's only one wrong guess in 47 pages.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
I don't think whether a character is smiling or not is really fair criteria. It's not like the girl shown is smiling anyways.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It's not like the girl shown is smiling anyways.

"Smiling" is not the complement of "frowning". "Not frowning" is.

Certainly a criterion that requires a guesser to know a distinguishing character trait of a character is much fairer than the myriad of "recognizing this scene" type entries like an impersonator or a shot that shows essentially nothing of what the character normally looks like.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
I just don't consider it much of a distinguishing character trait. It's not like anyone in the show ever points it out and she never had very much screentime in the first place. I certainly didn't know about it until you pointed it out.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing unfair about it.

First, the fundamental process of guessing in the character game is to take a set of visible characteristics associated with a character and identify her based on those characteristics.

En always shows body language associated with irritability or anger--frown and getting ready to attack. This character has a neutral expression. She lacks the characteristic that is associated with En, so it is expected that the guesser should not guess En.

Note the logical implication of having En always frowning: I did not post a picture of a frowning Honoka sister and expect the guesser to guess that it is En specifically.

Second, there is the common practice of eliminating every unique identifying visible characteristic associated with a character--including the show's art style and any background--and expect the guesser to guess the character based on remembering the scene. [1] [2] [3] It is questionable whether these types of shots are really about recognizing the character or recognizing the scene. [1] [2] [3] However, as these continue to be posted without drawing any comments except in the most extreme of cases, I assume scene recognition is acceptable when there are broad clues associated with the character to point to the correct anime.

It is clear from the picture that this is one of the Honoka sisters from Knights of Sidonia. The only question is which one. En is also in this scene--frowning, I might add. En attacks Tanikaze. Then, Ren drags En to apologize to Tanikaze for hitting him in the scene immediately afterwards. There is no question that a person who recognizes the scene would be able to identify this character as not En.

Third, suppose we require that the show point out differences between identical looking characteristics.

En attacks Tanikaze more than once for catching a glimpse of her--in this season and in season 1. In both instance, she is later identified as the attacker and refused to apologize. The show portrays En as the angry violent sister. Ren is the even-tempered one, though Ren is not often identified by name. This picture shows a neutral expression. It directs against En.

By the basic guessing process, this picture indicates that it is not En. By scene identification, this character is clearly not En. And this show points out that En is associated with a characteristic that is lacking in this picture. There is no problem with rejecting getchman's guess.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
While I don't really like the idea of using characters who look identical and can't easily be told apart, I will say that spoiler[En Honoka] was the one I thought was least likely after I looked up pictures of the characters. There weren't any pictures of her that really looked like this image, and I found an image of what looked to be the same scene which implied that spoiler[En] was a different character in the scene (which Raftina has confirmed is the case). So it was pretty easy for me to determine that I should guess someone other than spoiler[En] without even having watched the show.

Here is the next character:

Raftina

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Litchi Faye-Ling from Blazblue: Alter Memory]?
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
spoiler[Litchi Faye-Ling from Blazblue: Alter Memory]?

Sorry, that's incorrect.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Madoka Oowada from Gokujo]
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
spoiler[Madoka Oowada from Gokujo]

That's correct.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Micchan from Rozen Maiden?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 47 of 70