• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Zero Missions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
I wish we'd get a modern day equivalent to Final Fantasy VI or IX. I loved the gameplay and stories as well as both of them having casts that actually look different. It really makes me sad when I look at previous casts in comparison.

IX was supposed to be a throw back to the old-school style of Final Fantasies, but it wasn't very well recieved and is one of the lowest selling Final Fantasies of the modern era. Maybe it was too retro for the modern audiences, especially after the more modern VII and VIII.

Speaking of the character designs, my only complaint would be their clothing is very uninspired. XIII's cast all had their own unique outfit and sense of style, and while Agito was mainly comprised of school uniforms, I accepted it because of the setting and premise of the game. Someone mentioned visual kei, and I can see the influence, though I find the all black leather outfits to be a bit boring visually. Though I'll have to see the setting of the world more. So far Luna and Cidney are the only character so far with an interesting outfit in my opinion, but we don't know how major they are in the story.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't mean that I have to be happy with the direction Final Fantasy XV took especially when we seemingly get a new mainline non-MMO Final Fantasy once a decade. I used to consider myself a huge Final Fantasy fan, but I haven't liked one since FFX. Maybe the series just isn't for me anymore. I wish we'd get a modern day equivalent to Final Fantasy VI or IX. I loved the gameplay and stories as well as both of them having casts that actually look different.

You're entitled to dislike FF XV, but for better or worse, the one consistent thing about Final Fantasy is that they do something different with each game. Plenty of people can't stand VIII, XII, or even IX, and while other people love those three. Maybe FF XVI will have an all female cast, lol.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Maybe FF XVI will have an all female cast, lol.

FFX-2 exists for a very long time, I wonder why there was never a controversy surrounding this game.
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I honestly got into Final Fantasy originally because it always had at least three female characters. They may not be the main characters, but they weren't unimportant either. I liked having characters that were the same gender as myself. It was an eye opening experience for myself who had only encountered games like the older Mario Brothers games. If Final Fantasy XV was any other franchise, or was still a spin off instead of a main installment, I'd give it a chance and preorder it. As it is, unless I am absolutely wowed and amazed by everything in reviews, footage, etc, I am not going to reward Square Enix by giving them my money.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

FFX-2 exists for a very long time, I wonder why there was never a controversy surrounding this game.

I'm really not sure where the no one complained about FFX narrative came from. X-2 being too girly was a common complaint at the time.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That's practically every fujoshi-baiting character trait under the sun right there in one game, and each guy is uniquely suited to appeal to a different fetish.

I don't understand the fujoshi bait argument. Nomura's been making these kind of character designs since the 90's. Look at Cloud, Sephiroth, Squall, Vaan, etc. 90% of his male FF characters are pretty boys. The concept for FF XV (Versus XIII) has been in development since 2006. So Nomura and Square Enix predicted the huge fujoshi market nearly a decade ago?

SnowMusket wrote:
As it is, unless I am absolutely wowed and amazed by everything in reviews, footage, etc, I am not going to reward Square Enix by giving them my money.

It's too bad you feel that way and I don't fault you for disliking the all-male cast but as said earlier, the all-male cast/story is what the creators had planned from the beginning. I find a little unfair to criticize the creators for following through on their vision.

@strawberry-kun, but back in 2003 nobody was complaining that FF X-2 was otaku bait and clearly pandering to the male fanbase, which is what's happening with FF XV. FF X-2 also has a high 85/100 rating on Metacritic so clearly the majority of people were able to "overlook the girly stuff". We'll see if the same happens for FF XV.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
@strawberry-kun, but back in 2003 nobody was complaining that FF X-2 was otaku bait and clearly pandering to the male fanbase, which is what's happening with FF XV.

But the sites complaining about FFXIV isn't about it being fujoshi bait, they're complaining about it not having playable females alienates women and is misogynistic. Basically the opposite of calling it fujoshi bait. Most of those websites don't know what a fujoshi is most likely.

But the kind of people who complain about gender issues in games weren't around back then. If a game like FFX-2 came out today you would definitely see complaints about it being misogynistic because of how the girls are dressed. The idea of gender politics in games is only from the last few years when younger people entered the industry. Even sites like Kotaku used to make fun of the idea and you can find archived articles on Kotaku's site that made fun of social justice. The site was originally a celebration of otaku culture, hence the name. Then the staff restructured, they merged with other sites and changed over time. Complaining about otaku bait back in the 90s and early 00s wasn't a thing. The only real complaint was people who were xenophobic to Japanese and anime art style which would result in art style changes or trying to hide the Japanese origin of the game. Most of them probably didn't know what an otaku was either back then.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

I don't understand the fujoshi bait argument. Nomura's been making these kind of character designs since the 90's. Look at Cloud, Sephiroth, Squall, Vaan, etc. 90% of his male FF characters are pretty boys. The concept for FF XV (Versus XIII) has been in development since 2006. So Nomura and Square Enix predicted the huge fujoshi market nearly a decade ago?
Final Fantasy has always had bishonen, but this time the entire cast is made up of same-ish looking bishonen. There is no variety in design. Where's Auron? Where's Cid (FF7)? Where's Vivi? Heck, Vincent is a bishonen while actually looking cool. I'm also a big fan of Zidane. I know XV is supposed to be "a fantasy based on reality", but I think you get my point. They could have had a more diverse cast while staying true to the narrative even if they didn't include women. I probably still would have passed on it but still. Heck, they could still be all bishounen but just give them some variety.

I don't know whether or not Square-Enix purposefully targeted the fujoshi market, but it's not hard to picture the fujoshi market collectively salivating at the thought of an all boy band member Final Fantasy which is why it get's called fujoshi bait.

*Note: I'm aware of how these discussions normally go, so I'll note that I am not saying that appealing to fujoshi, women, or any other group is wrong. I don't mean fujoshi bait as an insult. I'd also call X-2 otaku bait if it came out today. And I'd be one of the ones lured in Laughing

CoreSignal wrote:
but back in 2003 nobody was complaining that FF X-2 was otaku bait and clearly pandering to the male fanbase, which is what's happening with FF XV. FF X-2 also has a high 85/100 rating on Metacritic so clearly the majority of people were able to "overlook the girly stuff". We'll see if the same happens for FF XV.

Different times. I don't think the term otaku bait even existed back then. If X-2 was made today, it would absolutely be called otaku bait. I'm sure you'd also have the usual HOW DARE THIS GAME FEATURE SEXY WOMEN write-ups at Kotaku and other sites. I'm not going to get into that side of the debate because quite frankly I try to ignore that kind of stuff, but it's undeniable that female representation in gaming is a hot button issue right now. It wasn't then which is why X-2 got by with less criticism there.

It's also worth noting that not everyone is criticizing the game for the same reasons. There's feminists who want more representation in gaming. There's people who just think the main cast look boring and stupid. There's people who want more diversity in design in the cast. There's the usual otaku crowd too. All of them are unhappy but for different reasons.
Nosehair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
the only feminists that are upset about no playable women are the male ones
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
But the sites complaining about FFXIV isn't about it being fujoshi bait, they're complaining about it not having playable females alienates women and is misogynistic. Basically the opposite of calling it fujoshi bait. Most of those websites don't know what a fujoshi is most likely.

I should've mentioned it, but I was referring to anime and Japanese gaming focused sites. But agreed, as far big as name western gaming sites like ign or polygon, the complaints are more about gender politics. I forgot which site, but I came across some piece on female representation and FF XV.

strawberry-kun wrote:
They could have had a more diverse cast while staying true to the narrative even if they didn't include women. I probably still would have passed on it but still. Heck, they could still be all bishounen but just give them some variety.

Again, Nomura wanted a "bro-trip" story from the beginning. I'm don't think that implies he purposely excluded women. As for the character designs, who knows whose decision it was to make them look so similar? Maybe it was Nomura himself or maybe the staff or somebody in marketing at SE requested he design them that way. I'm only defending the idea of having a story with a male-cast. Anyone is free to criticize the actual character designs all they want. And back to the fujoshi-bait thing again, there's another point I'll bring up. Final Fantasy, and FF XV in particular, have, and always will have, a huge global audience. I highly doubt that SE targeted the fujoshi market specifically because they think the fujoshi crowd is a bigger market then the worldwide FF audience. I'm exaggerating the point a little, but that's my take on it.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Nosehair wrote:
the only feminists that are upset about no playable women are the male ones
Or girls who happen to like the playing as the female characters that have been huge aspect of the series.

I know it's crazy, but please continue your inane ramblings here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5