• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re-Kan! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Re-Kan!

Genres: comedy, supernatural
Themes: School life, ghosts

Plot Summary: Amami Hibiki is a girl who can see ghosts and other supernatural phenomena in her surroundings. The stories follow her daily life with both her friends and the otherworldly.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Finished watching this a few hours ago and it seems more amusing than I had thought. spoiler[The main girl Hibiki is a bit of a klutz but I think the real humor comes from the "horror" aspect of it. I mean, it's much more like lighthearted comedy with the way it was portrayed.]

Anyways yeah, it's not a short but rather a standard 24-25 minute show. spoiler[That ghost reminds me of thing from The Grudge...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This looks kind of pretty, I could be kind of mistake this as SHAFT work, but it is actually Pierrot Plus. The background has a kind of a super realistic look to them that you find within a SHAFT anime, while characters stand out with more expressive designs, and a couple of odd additions like a cat being chibi. Personally I really like it as I can really enjoying the backgrounds as a setting, while the characters fit into more mainstream relation.

And then there is the whole ghost thing, I actually expected that we would see a day happen and then redo the exact same scene where we can see the ghosts, kind of like what was done in Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. But the show seems to enjoy at least at this part not show the ghosts, instead using minimal use to actually kind of show it in a way like a horror. This was especially effective near the beginning of the episode where they spoiler[showed The Grudge like little boy ghost]. It contrasts quite strongly against the more light hearted showing where we see her actions and little spirit things of character freaking out.

Honestly this feels like something you would expect for an anime where each episode is a couple minutes long, but that it is a full length I am actually really happy there feels like there can be a number of things to enjoy. If this keeps up I might say it is like a slice of life horror, though I expect that the ghosts will be more non-horror portrayed after a while.

Also, I can be easily effected, but I found the part with spoiler[the kids] to be successfully emotional regardless of being obvious.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it well enough, but I feel the jokes didn't quite have the energy behind them that they should have.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to like this one. The 4-koma rhythm is never my favourite (I prefer an ongoing story line that has stakes) but I can live with it. Like DP, the poignant stuff worked for me, too. This has the scent of a keeper for me.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Hibiki sure is an interesting girl.
Caught in between two worlds.
Trying to make the best of it.
She is fun to watch though ^^
So far I like this anime.
Had a few laughs too.
That Inoue is pretty funny.
It's like she uses all her energy to Not believe..
She's so in denial... sigh..
The cat is full of potential as well.
Will be watching this!
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
I really disliked the beginning, with the disjointed scenes and massive infodump made in a too out of place manner, but the show appears to have found a decent stride when it reached the part with the children.

I wonder how common this weakness is with 4-koma adaptations. I remember really disliking the beginning of Lucky Star and Azumanga for the same reason as here (though in those cases, they never really hit with me), but Kotoura-san managed to avoid the problem and still give the necessary infodump by showing a stylized flashback of Kotoura's backstory.
Sunara Ishi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised by this series. I always enjoy a series that has humor that actually makes me laugh.

All the ghost parodies were awesome. I recognized quite a few but I'm sure there were some I missed. Hibiki and Little Miss Denial were absolutely cute & funny.

And there were quite a few time I thought the characters were going to get the "bad end" even though it was obvious this was a comedy. 'Cause I watch too many scary movies....
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote

spoiler[Inoue was LOL again.
Interesting how they could take photos of ghosts.
Despite all the craziness and fear of ghosts Inoue can't seem to stay away.
Looks like there are quite a few interesting classmates in Hibiki's class.
Making presents for ghosts... Hibiki is just so thoughtful ^^
Felt sorry for that boy who kept getting cellphone thrown in his face..
Nice episode though.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I would say that it was just as successful as the first episode. Actually to me it also managed be emotionally effective again, now with spoiler[how thoughtful she was to the samurai].
Drizzy_Dan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this show because it seemed interesting being a comedy/horror/seinen but the first episode was disappointing to me. The first problem I had was with the voice actors. There are good ones but I personally don't think they match the characters well, especially Hibiki's. The show has great potential though that I hope they use.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The premise of this is right up my alley. This should be fun and interesting, with a side of pathos. So how are they making this so soul-numbingly boring? I hoped it would pick up by the second episode, but my will to live is draining right out of me as I watch. I'm out. Enjoy the series, guys! Smile
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote

spoiler[That perv cat deserves to get smacked every time!
Inoue having trouble at home.
Still, she is slowly opening up.
The whole situation at Inoue's house was LOL
That samurai ghost is just epic!
Amami & Inoue became little closer.]

Nice episode.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
I really disliked the beginning, with the disjointed scenes and massive infodump made in a too out of place manner, but the show appears to have found a decent stride when it reached the part with the children.

I felt the same way; "infodump" is a good term for it. Way too choppy. I understand why it is done, which is basically setting the premise for the story. Yet that approach is unnecessary and with more finesse you can reveal that information in the natural progression.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the characters I have seen thus far, and I like the atmosphere. I'm just looking forward to seeing the story commence.... which is hopefully soon.

(Please note that I have only seen up to episode 2 so far, so maybe it has turned around for episode 3?)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Looks like it is 3 for 3 in being successfully emotional, that is rather surprising in a primarily slice of life anime with a strong 4koma style, and horror elements sprinkled throughout. You can't deny there is no horror where they followed example from episode 1 with the Grudge kid, with spoiler[a The Ring(Ringu) scene].
Drizzy_Dan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
I've been very disappointed with Re-Kan!'s first two episodes and I didn't find them very emotional at all actually but finally in the third episode, when I thought this was just going to be a throw-away show that I'd follow, I finally found strong emotion and some enjoyment from it. I don't think this should be considered a horror at all and I feel like the seinen aspects are forced but I think the show still has a lot of potential.

PS: Is it me or does it sound like the VA from Isuca is actually Inoue and not Amami?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2