• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How should these Di Gi Charat specials be entered in the encyclopedia?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
There are two Di Gi Charat episodes streaming on Hulu that don't seem to be part of any of the entries currently in ANN's encyclopedia (the ones listed as "Season 5" at http://www.hulu.com/di-gi-charat-specials). They look to be part of Sentai's release (since the Hulu page says the episodes are from Sentai Filmworks), but I don't see them listed as included in Right Stuf's page for Sentai's release of the specials. Since the episodes are just labeled as "Omake 1" and "Omake 2" on Hulu, and the release date is given as 6/1/2001 which I take as a placeholder for an unknown date in 2001, I'm guessing Sentai themselves don't really have much information on those two episodes. Wikipedia has them labeled as the Di Gi Charat - Tsuyu Special, and says they aired on August 25, 2001, but I don't see any source for that information.

On the official Di Gi Charat page, the two episodes are listed in the Di Gi Charat DVD collection (as part of the contents of disc 10). It doesn't seem like the official page designates them as part of any of the other specials, but as far as I could tell they didn't give a specific name for those specials. The word "un-aired" comes up when I translate that section of the page in Google Translate, but I don't know if that means they were unaired episodes from some other part of the franchise.

I was thinking of submitting them to the encyclopedia, but wasn't sure if anyone might know more about them and know if they are actually part of another piece of the franchise. Also, if I submit them to the encyclopedia, what name should I put the submission under? I could go with the Wikipedia name of "Tsuyu Special", but I don't really want to go with an unsourced name that comes from who knows where. However, without that name there isn't any name to submit them under (I guess I could just use "Di Gi Charat speical 5" or something like that).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
An "Omake" is usually just a DVD extra, so that may be how Sentai received them. Despite Wikipe's "airdate" they may still be DVD extras since that is just a table header so it may refer to a DVD release date (c.v. the Uta Kata OVA episode).
Googling the Japanese title (梅雨スペシャル) tells me they were screened at the TBS Anime Festa which indeed occurred on the 25th of August in 2001 so that's where the date comes from.

This looks like the best source available: http://www.animate.tv/title/details.php?id=248

I'm never sure how to handle "specials" and other DVD extras, which is why I have never approved the Ai Yori Aoshi specials that have been hanging around in the list forever (and I guess other editors feel the same).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the information and for finding that good page to use as a source. Now that I know what these specials are, I went ahead and submitted the title to the queue (animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/new-anime.php?approve=3346938353).

In this case, I definitely think the 5th special should be added, as it doesn't seem like it could be included in any of the other parts of the franchise. The previous four specials are already in the encyclopedia, so it would seem odd to not have an entry for this one. The five specials in total account for substantially more content than the TV series, so I don't think they can be considered omake to the TV series. The Di Gi Charat specials are not DVD bonus episodes (which normally get called "OAVs" in the encyclopedia . . . "special" is normally used for things that aired on TV as a one time thing, or that was shown at a festival). In terms of content, they are sequels to the TV series. The only difference I see between this fifth special and the first four is that this one apparently didn't air on TV. However, these episodes are just as long as the other special episodes (albeit the 5th special is only two episodes compared to four episodes for some of the others), and again, they don't fit as part of any one of the other specials, so I think they need their own entry. I'm guessing Sentai labeled these two as "omake" just because they didn't know what they were.

About adding bonus episodes in general, my personal opinion is that bonus episodes that ship with a TV series when it gets released on DVD/Blu-ray can be included with the TV series entry, while OAVs and special episodes released separately should get their own entry. However, that is just my opinion, and the actual way it is done in the encyclopedia seems very inconsistent. In general, it seems like specials that air on TV as their own thing usually get their own entry, while OAV episodes that ship on DVD/Blu-ray are often done either way (i.e., many get added to existing entries and many others get their own entries).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1