• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
therau05 wrote:
I just noticed something in Zac's review that I had to go back and see for Shokugeki. In his review and in Crunchyroll's subs, the school is called "Engetsu Teahouse Culinary Academy". Yet in Viz's official manga release and even in the recent review here on ANN of the newest manga volume, the school is called "Tootsuki Culinary Academy". Just found that really odd, but considering no one ever said the name yet, Crunchyroll maybe mistranslated it.

lys wrote:
re: the name discrepancy, I haven't seen the series in either form, but "getsu" and "tsuki" are probably different readings of the same kanji (月). Usually in manga (especially for SJ) there is a furigana reading of kanji characters so you know how it's pronounced, so I'd assume Viz got it right. If the school name appeared in the anime ep only in written form, CR's translator may simply not have known which way to romanize it.

As to the name '遠月', the Japanese edition of the manga says, 'Tōtsuki.'

Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, just watched Dungeon and I am both not impressed but also not annoyed

The show at this point is the purest form of average with a decent setup and good character banter but is just setup. I suppose it would be best to wait but I am concerned about how this will turn out or if it will be any good

I will give it two more episodes before a watch/drop evaluation
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Food Wars is going to have to get a lot better really fast, because that first episode was compost. Did they really have to top off the food erotica with all the naked children in the end credits? Nothing wrong with foodgasms - Yakitate!! Japan showed how to do it and still be fun - but if the only way you can match what's been done is slathering it in bodily fluids, you're better off skipping it altogether.

Btw, I really like the ratings up front so I don't have to click through several times and back to rate and get that info. Nice improvement!
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Compared review scores between Shokugeki no Soma and Yurikuma Arashi. Loled.

Why would you bother? They're such utterly different series that they have absolutely nothing in common.

zztop wrote:
Dungeon: I think character designer Suzuhito Yasuda should’ve put in more cultural/historical costume elements for the goddesses’ clothes to make them stand out more from the fantasy designs of other characters.

Based on the descriptions in the first light novel, not all of the gods who have come to Earth dress so (comparatively) plainly. You should seem of that next episode.

Also keep in mind that those gods are living amongst mortals essentially as mortals. That means they can't just magic up outfits, so they have to dress like mortals, too. Hence really elaborate costumes would (in most cases) be logically inconsistent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Food Wars is going to have to get a lot better really fast, because that first episode was compost. Did they really have to top off the food erotica with all the naked children in the end credits? Nothing wrong with foodgasms - Yakitate!! Japan showed how to do it and still be fun - but if the only way you can match what's been done is slathering it in bodily fluids, you're better off skipping it altogether.

Btw, I really like the ratings up front so I don't have to click through several times and back to rate and get that info. Nice improvement!

I am a big fan of the manga, and even I was somewhat turned off by the first episode. Usually the extra-long first chapter gets an entire episode in anime adaptations of manga, but this is a case where I think the show would have benefited from speeding through the prologue and trying to hook the viewer on what becomes the main topic to keep watching for: the competition between students and their respective styles, competing to see who can sway the judges more decisively.

Getting that peek at Erina after the credits felt pretty hollow when you're barely given enough context to know what's going on. They really should have condensed the land shark story and ended episode 1 with spoiler[Souma getting ready to challenge Erina's test, after having been introduced to the atmosphere at Tootsuki and learning about Erina's ability.]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
Watched the first ep of Shokugeki no Soma. Ok, I can totally see why a sex-negative person might take issues with the show, it's very fanservicy, but it's at least equal opportunity fanservicy, with sexy guys in there that also get naked. Was the sexiness absolutely necessary? No, that's just a thing they do. Did it detract from the series in any way if you aren't sex-negative? No. So yeah, if it's not your thing it's not your thing, but for what it is, I think they pulled it off well and created an entertaining first episode. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series, because I've only read what they ran in US Jump, which was like the first two chapters and then skipped to like chapter 100, so it'll be interesting to see what happened in between.

Key wrote:

Why would you bother? They're such utterly different series that they have absolutely nothing in common.

Uuuuuh-huh. Rolling Eyes

[Edit]: joined consecutive posts. Errinundra.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Ohoni, please don't repeat you antics from the Winter 2015 Anime Preview Guide thread. Your posts are already taking on a combative edge. Please consider your impact upon the enjoyment of other people participating in this thread (including the reviewers) when you post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
Ok, I just thought it was funny, that's all. Tomayto, tomahto, one's a vegetable, one's a fruit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote
Dungeon wasn't as funny as I was hoping it to be based on the title, but then again the first eppie of The Devil is a Part-timer wasn't as funny as the rest of the show, either. It seems to have potential, though.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Ok, I just thought it was funny, that's all. Tomayto, tomahto, one's a vegetable, one's a fruit.

But it wasn't funny; I don't think that you realize just how thin the ice is that that you're standing on.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
I get the feeling that people who didn't like the foodgasms (that are key of the Shokugeki no Soma manga) will stay that way due to the extreme attention they are paying to it.
Those scenes are mostly for fun and visual "proof" that X cooking was well-done, which happens a lot in the series. Unless people learn to enjoy their fun, this anime will be a nightmare to them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
That they were orgasms didn't bother me; it just wasn't funny, save the one time. Someone eating food and then going OOHHHH GOOODDDDDDDDDDD for 2 minutes is barely funny once and it definitely isn't funny a hundred times or however many times they lean on it for comedy in the manga.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That they were orgasms didn't bother me; it just wasn't funny, save the one time. Someone eating food and then going OOHHHH GOOODDDDDDDDDDD for 2 minutes is barely funny once and it definitely isn't funny a hundred times or however many times they lean on it for comedy in the manga.

If you think like that, you're going to miss the [manga spoilers]:spoiler["girl dressed like godzilla fighting Ultraman"-gasm.] They get pretty imaginative later on.

added spoiler tags. -Galap
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
I think that by now Toei Animation should give a release date for the new Digimon series since it is April and a lot of people have been anticipating it.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
{Failure to use spoiler tags. ~nobahn}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 43