• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Unicorn Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Fourteenthangel wrote:
Someone on this thread mentioned that the CG in Unicorn was bad? Coming from a guy who hates CG in mecha anime I thought the CG in Unicorn blended almost seamlessly and they only really used it for scenes that would otherwise be incredibly difficult to do otherwise such as the transformation sequences or the monstrosity that is Neo Zeong. Then again I digress. Your going to be seeing more CG in mecha anime so you might as well get used to it. Even today, hand drawn mecha in anime are a rarity.

Sure the cg might be good because it looks better than the rest

but thats not a very high bar considering cg in anime never looks good.

it certainly doesn't blend seamlessly in the background, if you can recognize something is cg then it isn't blending.

In any event the first episode definitely had the best use of it, honestly it looked like they started half assing it after that because it got noticeable worse after each episode.

And yeah its sad they are going the cg route, its why i haven't watched any mech series in the past 5 years. (this was gundam so i made an exception) I can't enjoy the show because all i can think is how bad it looks.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I always thought it looked better as things went on. There were one or two moments an episode where it slipped a bit, but the only thing that stood out as seriously jarring was the first episode, and it generally got less so from there.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
The CGI blends incredibly well. I prefer traditional hand drawn cel animation but when the CGI looks this great I don't see what there is to complain about. If they're gonna do CGI do it right, and Unicorn does it right.

Many probably wouldn't even be able to tell the mecha is CGI most of the time.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

it certainly doesn't blend seamlessly in the background, if you can recognize something is cg then it isn't blending.

In any event the first episode definitely had the best use of it, honestly it looked like they started half assing it after that because it got noticeable worse after each episode.

And yeah its sad they are going the cg route, its why i haven't watched any mech series in the past 5 years. (this was gundam so i made an exception) I can't enjoy the show because all i can think is how bad it looks.

No offense but I think your outlook on things is incredibly narrow-minded. You won't give CG any chance because you have already given up on it. You won't allow it the chance that maybe it could improve in the coming years. The only way they can improve is for them to keeping working with it. Make it better. It is because of this that you completely disregarded plenty of good mecha anime in recent years but I digress.

I mean I am self-proclaimed CG hater but when it done right it can look good and Unicorn does it right in my opinion. To me, it doesn't distract me take me out of it unlike say a recent example being Aldnoah.Zero.

To me at least, it does offend me as much as it does you.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Fourteenthangel wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

No offense but I think your outlook on things is incredibly narrow-minded. You won't give CG any chance because you have already given up on it. You won't allow it the chance that maybe it could improve in the coming years. The only way they can improve is for them to keeping working with it. Make it better. It is because of this that you completely disregarded plenty of good mecha anime in recent years but I digress.

I mean I am self-proclaimed CG hater but when it done right it can look good and Unicorn does it right in my opinion. To me, it doesn't distract me take me out of it unlike say a recent example being Aldnoah.Zero.

To me at least, it does offend me as much as it does you.

unicorn does look good... some times. But the quality of it is not consistent throughout the entire series. (which is sad considering they had a year for 50 minute movies)

and it is very easy to tell when a show has bad cg just by watching a trailer.

At the very least they would have to look as good as unicorn for me to stand it, but all of them just look fake as hell.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
unicorn does look good... some times. But the quality of it is not consistent throughout the entire series. (which is sad considering they had a year for 50 minute movies)

and it is very easy to tell when a show has bad cg just by watching a trailer.

At the very least they would have to look as good as unicorn for me to stand it, but all of them just look fake as hell.

Again I digress. I think Unicorn is on point most of the time. The CG doesn't take me out of the experience as it does other shows of its vein. CG in anime is for more part jarring and it is doesn't make coherent visual sense. Sadly, most anime production aren't usually run on high budget and using it is often unavoidable. There are fewer productions these days that are don't use any CG. Unless its Redline or a Miyazaki film or something.

CG is anime is certainly a work in progress but to be fair unless you have monstrous budget I believe the falseness will never truly go away if ever. It is either something you get used to or you don't. That's all I really have to say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5