• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Show By Rock!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Show By Rock!! (TV)
Season 2 - Show By Rock!!# (TV 2) (discussion starts here
Season 3 - Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh! (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 4 - Show By Rock!! Stars!! (TV) (discussion starts here)

Genres: comedy, fantasy
Themes: bands, magical girl, Moe, music
----------------------------------

Episode 1

I came off just watching Kyoto Animation's new music anime's first episode, and realised that I had accidentally missed this one. I did not know anything about it, and really that made this episode one heck of a ride. First expect music, next expect it to be fun.

The episode starts out with a standard moe high school scene that in itself was so fun that I thought that I really could watch this. As we followed the kind of insecure yet endearing bespectacled girl, Cyan, we suddenly have a huge shift, and it really hits me in a great way.

The CG we are then treated with in my opinion looks gorgeous, it is spoiler[not realistic], but that aspect of it actually makes it all the better with. On one level it reminds me of what was probably a terrible Sonic cartoon when I was a little kid. On the other it is completely gorgeous with beautiful detail added to spoiler[these little chibi features, that makes me fall in love with the detail as we go from rock concert, the boys against the monster, and then Cyan rocking out]. And the cinematography. It did go back to standard 2D, and I think it is quite important to keep it fresh and is cute in its own way.

If I had to make a complaint it would be the weird spoiler[egg guy that I could not make heads of what was going on when he was talking about different ways to eat an egg]. But there were some parts like the spoiler[beat up car] that did manage to be humorous with just something small. The weirdness factor works great at being fun, the fun starts with Cyan rspoiler[ocking out and being embarrassed as it was an air guitar in a hallway], goes through spoiler[silly boy band] reminiscent of a part of Kamisama Kiss, and finishes with Cyan too spoiler[excited over being in a band to question the massive weirdness].

From first episode I would say that I kind of fell in love with it. From a design standpoint it kind of makes me think of something like Black Rock Shooter, except super cute and fun instead of cool and dramatic. I am not even sure why it makes me think they are similar, I am just weird sometimes. Could just be the shifts between 2D and CG.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what to think about this show lol. I mean, it was fun I guess? But it may take me some time to get used to the usage of the CG. Music is kind of a mixed bag for me on this one too.

I'm actually surprised that Bones is doing a show like this though. I will give it a few more episodes to see how it goes.

Last edited by Stark700 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaah...no.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly to some, they seem to do cuteness and catering to otaku better than KyoAni's show.
Though I kinda expected that.

The first episode tried to do so many things it can go anywhere from there, but it had soul to it, so I'm keeping an eye on this one for now.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yeah, I don't know what to really make of the first episode. I was enjoying it up until it went into some crazy 'Saturday morning cartoon' from years gone by. I mean after the CG section I was fine with it again.

I'll probably give it another episode as the premise behind the whole situation is interesting, though the egg puns were starting to scramble my brain at one point. I just hope that I can get used to the weird CG sections because I actually like all the characters shown so far.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I think most people were irritated by the CG. I am glad I am not the only one who went: Hmm, okay so far... until the weird CG happened... That was just, no. I honestly have no idea if I'll bother with this one. I just had too much time and was catching up on anything remotely interesting to me this evening. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, having seen some of the Show By Rock clips, I think it was obvious they will go this way.
I don't like it either, but it's certainly unique.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Imo, the music is actually decent for this show but the gimmicks is weird. Seems like we got some explanation regarding the spoiler[dark music and dark monsters in the latest episode.]

Also, I wonder what other prominent bands will debut in this show? So far, I have mixed feelings regarding spoiler[Shingan Crimsonz.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well, I'm sold after that episode. I love King-, I mean, Shingan Crimsonz (their song wasn't half bad either - certainly much better than their intro last week), and I'm fine with the Sonic CG since it's brief and has a point...I think. I was also a little curious about the Beiganba-V series they were showing on tv in the background. And I even like Cyan, though that style of cuteness usually grinds my gears. She's making it work somehow. It doesn't hurt that Strawberry Heart is voiced by Hiroyuki Yoshino, who I will listen to in anything. Smile If they can keep making me smile like this episode did, I'll keep watching.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Okay, I think this is officially my favourite show of the season, that does not I think that it is the best, but it just feels like it resonates with me very well. Individual parts might not have worked, but together it just really works for me.

One thing I really liked about this episode was the boy group, Shingan Crimsonz, balancing this more hard Japanese rock against what will be the lighter Plasmagica, looks good. They were funny in how over the top they were, they did not sound that bad, and they actually were endearing. They could have just been a joke or be competent, but the midway works.

There is other stuff too, and I might mention that they did not go all out to develop the rest of Plasmagica when this was a Shingan Crimsonz episode, which stopped it from feeling a little too cluttered. And one of my favourite parts of the episode was the hint that the spoiler[sheep girl is some sort of spy which had her "pyuru" get deciphered], which funnily came out of nowhere after spoiler[the cuter more normal bit].
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Now I kind of wish the show was about Shingan Crimsonz rather than Plasmagica. Not that I don't like the girls of Plasmagica (they're adorable), but the Shingan Crimsonz guys were hilarious. spoiler[I wonder why Rom seems to dislike Shuuzou (not gonna bother trying to add the star to his name) though.]

So maybe I'm just dumb/unobservant, but did anyone else have trouble figuring out what animal Crow is supposed to be? I had to look it up, and was surprised to find out that he is apparently a hedgehog. Looking at his animal form with that in mind, I guess I can kind of see it now, but...well, I guess that's why he's the shortest? Since a hedgehog is tiny compared to a lion, a fox, and a leopard. Laughing
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
So far really enjoying this. I've been playing the game since early February and I really enjoy playing that, so I'd been pretty hyped for this. I don't know how different it is from the game in terms of story and whatnot, but I know that it does have differences (the most obvious of which being that Cyan in the game was not sucked into it, she's just lived in that world forever in the game).

What I find most interesting about the depiction of the game in the beginning of episode 1 are that there are some differences compared to the actual game. The Dark Reaper (the skeleton fought in the first episode) is fought in the real life game when playing Shingan CrimsonZ's songs, yet a Plasmagica song was heard when Cyan was playing the game. And the Plasmagica song was sung by her so I don't know how that's possible when she hadn't been sucked into it yet. Also in the real life game the bosses have a health bar that depletes as you attack them, but I saw no health bar when Cyan was playing. And by far the most significant difference is that there are no items in the game. Just in game currency (sound dollars, friend points, and Melodisians) and bromides (cards). So no, you cannot get the Strawberry Heart in the game.

Despite these differences, the anime staff do seem to have good knowledge of the game, as shown by all the cameos other bands make. Baiganba V appear on a TV screen, Dropout Sensei and Shinimonogurui's logos are seen on a door, Gauga Strikes posters are seen on a wall, Rapezziauto and Dolly Dolci's logos are seen on a ceiling. Hopefully this means we'll see more than just the 5 bands already revealed to be appearing in the anime, but I'm not going to get my hopes up, especially not for the tie-in artists as I can imagine it'd be hard to get those musicians in to provide voice acting. But hopefully there's a chance we'll see the other bands in the game made specifically for SB69. I'd really like to see Shizuku Secretmind in particular.

Jacquipuff wrote:
spoiler[I wonder why Rom seems to dislike Shuuzou (not gonna bother trying to add the star to his name) though.]

Those of us who play the game already know. The reason:

spoiler[They used to be in a band together, but something went wrong. I don't know the details as I can't read Japanese so I don't know any of the characters' in game dialogue, but that's the general reason.]
MysticMew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I still can't say that I like the CG but oh well... After giving it a second chance with Episode 2, it may be worth watching after all. It's a fun mixture of different stuff so far, I guess I'll have to see if the next two or so episodes keep me pinned enough.
Sunara Ishi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
Ep.1 (Haven't watched ep.2 yet):
Seemed like another slice of life music series until that sudden left turn. At least they got it out of the way and it didn't do a dramatic turn in the middle of the season... like during ep.7 or something... >.>;
Seems like it'll be a cute, fun series. The CG is adorable and well done. Too many times they butcher CG; as this series relies on it a lot, I'm glad they didn't.

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:
So far really enjoying this. I've been playing the game since early February and I really enjoy playing that, so I'd been pretty hyped for this.

That would explain why I got a game vibe during the battle. Totally felt like a boss battle. Well, it reminded me of boss battles in Sonic (and similar) games. Maybe I'll look it up and see what console its for. Is it under the same name as the series?
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Sunara Ishi wrote:
Ep.1 (Haven't watched ep.2 yet):
Seemed like another slice of life music series until that sudden left turn. At least they got it out of the way and it didn't do a dramatic turn in the middle of the season... like during ep.7 or something... >.>;
Seems like it'll be a cute, fun series. The CG is adorable and well done. Too many times they butcher CG; as this series relies on it a lot, I'm glad they didn't.

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:
So far really enjoying this. I've been playing the game since early February and I really enjoy playing that, so I'd been pretty hyped for this.

That would explain why I got a game vibe during the battle. Totally felt like a boss battle. Well, it reminded me of boss battles in Sonic (and similar) games. Maybe I'll look it up and see what console its for. Is it under the same name as the series?

It's for iOS and Android, and it's a rhythm game. You can't get it outside Japan normally, so international players like myself need to get it via other methods. For iOS, just get yourself a Japanese iTunes account (you can look up how online), and for Android (which I play it on), download QooApp from the internet and search for Show By Rock in that, and download it. I typed up a post on Tumblr with some tips for new players:

http://sanrio-fans.tumblr.com/post/115136499605

And yeah, the game is called "Show By Rock!!" just like the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4