• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Etotama (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But while Sabagebu was kind of overshadowed by Nozaki-kun and Barakamon, this show is somehow being done by something like Punch Line

The strange thing is that going by popularity, Punch Line isn't able to overshadow pretty much anything.
Etotama just more like fell off the radar of everyone. And its marketing strategy was completely beyond me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

*spoiler[tiny Uri-tan is calm] despite the situation*
Uri-tan: It is spoiler[not like it can kill me].
*spoiler[bad Sol/lul hits her and she suddenly dies]*
Laughing That was hilarious. It played perfectly off the spoiler[previous event where Uri-tan dying was a big deal and how it really is not that bad since she will just come back with Nya-tan and Mei-tan's reaction].

Nya-tan can actually be a very accurate stand in for the audience, that this might suddenly become aspoiler[ swimsuit or onsen episode] did come to mind. Was it fanservice though? Well maybe if you in general enjoy crazy aspects. Some of the characters spoiler[changed personalities] which was quite fun, and the spoiler[retort] thing kind of worked, I thought the same thing when Inu-tan for spoiler[some reason had "inu inu" as a sound effect instead of a bark like "wan]". And fittingly funny that Nya-tan was inexplicitly spoiler[oblivious to the "we are legion" talk of the giant virus, and beat it by retort].

We also had the first girl actually fall for him, I guess if you did expect this series to go the way of a harem. Back onto fanservice with the spoiler[talk of nudity], it reminds me of a very funny joke from Hyperdimension Neptunia where there was something called spoiler[Mysterious Light Grass]. I did like how aware this episode was in talks of DVD and BD releases.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I did like how aware this episode was in talks of DVD and BD releases.

Well the dialog in this episode just blew a hole in their projected BD/DVD sales. They flat out said that the spoiler[censorship was in the original cel and can't be taken out.] Of course I suppose they could put in new art of the BD/DVD.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Heh, spoiler[tiger girl] in action this week. Also, this week had more fighting than usual. At this pacing though, I wonder if they will give every single Zodiac a highlight as it could be fairly possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling Piyo will end up overshadowed like Inu and Key. Also they have yet to really give Uma (guessing on her name) anything. Can barely remember which girl the horse is.

Good episode overall, but Christopher Walken is right. Needs more cowbell.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

How I would describe this episode, it would probably be honesty. The episode had to face exactly why the Nya-tan and Takeru should matter. And it was pretty honest that spoiler[there really is not that much, as shown in the funny overused flashback part where the same memories go over and over again]. Really it was totally honest that spoiler[really Nya-tan does not deserve some of the fortune she gets]. And finally gave a reason, there spoiler[really is not much of a deep reason, it is not romance, its not a 1000 experiences, it is not even whether Nya-tan is selfless to him]. It was simply that spoiler[they both enjoy the other's company, they make life a little more interesting, and that fun is totally a reasonable reason]. And really I think that maybe fits exactly why I like this series, it is just fun.

In regards to general good parts of the episode. Key-tan and Inu-tan have really kind of earned a funny spot in comic relief, they seem to shine when placed next to Nya-tan. I actually found the spoiler[whole secret deal thing] really funny. Shima-tan was also easy to see where she was coming from. And on repeat here, but CG is fantastic, environments, action, facial expressions, gestures, it is soooo good. It felt maybe clearer than ever. I really want to get it when it gets on BD, but it is so under the radar.

Another series I will compare this series to, Sengoku Collection, also a personal favourite as something that went under the radar, and mistaken by people as a harem. I guess they are very different in some ways as that was a show that has many diverse episodes as Space Dandy, but I would say that they are both moe shows that actually have something smart. I guess saying that Etotama is smart could be hard to believe, after all it practically fits the definition of moe mixed with random action, but I feel like every episode it lets the audience know it it knows that. It plays with the tropes, maybe almost parody like, but it is not making fun of it rather than expressing awareness and love of it.

Also, I just noticed that Piyo-tan's alternate form is that kind of weird one we saw last week. The contrast actually feels adorable.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Not much to see this week. It's pretty much a recap with some fourth wall breaking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
Well it was not a bad way to do a recap episode. It focused on one of the characters not already done (Shar-tan), had fun with the entire situation (breaking the fourth wall), brought up a few things that may have been easily missed (the UTC thing), aAnd also progressed the story spoiler[with the seal]. Also it really did feel like it matched the series in general, and Shar-tan was a plenty fun character.

I have seen some pretty bad and boring recaps before, but I think this was one of the good ones.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
For some people I`m sure that information recap was pretty useful. This series is rather scattered. One of the best recaps I`ve seen, but still I am not of the opinion recaps are necessary.

Too bad they didn`t have a random 999 character on the snake train.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Mm, I don't think there were doubts about Nyaa-tan taking the win for the Manager Cup. I kinda wish that race was longer though. Too bad sheep girl didn't do much since she was kinda in a fantasy world of her own. *hint hint*
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
At this point I don't think Nya-tan is going to get promoted into the Zodiac even though she has racked up a pretty good winning streak. The only thing to guess is what it is that is going to stop her.

I have six cats in the house and one of them acts just like Nya-tan.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

This episode was pretty unbashfully about viewer ratings, even went on a bit of rant about how to support what you love. I like its guts that it can call out viewers with "stupid looks on their faces" just watching something. And it gave it no secret that many of the characters got pushed out of the race to save time.

I love Mo-tan's Engrish words. I like a lot of the running jokes, which of course had to include Uri-tan dyeing again.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Well, so some of the challenges tests their mental wits.

I guess a shogi game makes sense then. The outcome was a bit obvious. However, I liked Nyaa-tan's opponent this week. Shame the match only lasted about half an episode. I wonder what other sort of mental challenges will make their way into this show.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Shame the match only lasted about half an episode.

It reminded me of the matches in the Saki franchise. If you liked the battle in this episode you would love the mahjong fireworks in Saki.

So I guess it is revealed that Nya-tan is an intuitive super genius for tactics even if it is a mental game.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

The action seemed lower this week, and it was fairly aware of it with Key-tan and Inu-tan's comments on the shogi theme. I thought for sure that she would have to win through her own brand of crazy, unpredictable and making her opponent make a mistake.

Well I liked the expansion of Nya-tan a bit into the mental strength, but in many ways her being that is not her, but she does not even need to go by one note characteristics anyway. I have quite liked Piyo-tan too, kind of since I saw that her moe form is adorkable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3