• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Europe: 2nd Sailor Moon Crystal Series Coming This Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
Quite surprising considering the reception this had. Guessing this was planned from the start.

By who? By you?

SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Well this is certainly surprising, considering the current Sailor Moon Crystal isn't doing well on streaming here or in Japan.

And Japan and USA are still small for something as big worldwide as sailor moon. Expand your horizon, anime makes money in so MANY different ways.

you're on the internet dude.

where the minority,is the majority
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
See, compare how Toei handles SMC to it's other big property, Precure. Yearly Precure gets a new show, episodes come out weekly, boatloads of merchandise and consistently get TV ratings between 4.0-5.0
Watch the first episode and the cour climaxes from each precure season and compare them to the paltry effort put in by Toei's overseas subcontractors.

I love Sailor Moon, at its best it should be more than 'decent' like an above poster said. What of the new SMC is going to go down in history besides the insultingly bad quality?

As to the merchandise for SMC, it started coming out OVER a year ago. Specific tie-ins for the show. Why? Because the show was extremely delayed. It didn't even get improved by the delays. The delays and airing schedule managed to get us a show that was serviceable at best. the poster just before me said it as well. The glut of merchandise at the start of the show actually was meant to be better timed with the original expectation of the show coming out.

Also look at the staff. There are some really talented key animators that lend their hands to SMC - look tot he scenes where they got credit and their usual magic is missing, either due to horrible tween support or what I can only guess was interference from above or a rush job.

There's almost no justification for the production problems, considering what Toei spends on their other shows.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
See, compare how Toei handles SMC to it's other big property, Precure.

Toei owns the rights for Precure. Naoko Takeuchi (or her company) owns the rights for Sailor Moon. Guess which property Toei will prioritize if they have to?
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Viewer number go always down over time, that is to be expected, no show stays in air forever. Except Sazae-san.

Of course they go down, but rarely this steeply.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:
See, compare how Toei handles SMC to it's other big property, Precure.

Toei owns the rights for Precure. Naoko Takeuchi (or her company) owns the rights for Sailor Moon. Guess which property Toei will prioritize if they have to?

The one that sells better. If SMC wasn't a trainwreck they would negotiate or at least try to go for better terms with the creator.

Toei doesn't own One Piece.
It is the production studio.
Guess what comes out weekly without as much fail as SMC?

Toei works on lots of things, none of which are as bad as SMC
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm over that show. But congrats to everyone who does like it.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Sailor Moon is a success. Tv audience numbers/streaming only tell a part of the story. And if TOEI continues to produce more episodes then it means that for all pratical purposes that they are not losing money. IE the show is a success. As for the quality of the animation of the new series, good God go back and watch some of the classic Sailor Moon episodes. Just to have a reality check. Sailor Moon Crystal is not an OVA like Gundam Unicorn. It is tv material, low quality tv material that makes money.

This pretty much sums it well in crude words.

However crystal detractors want to cling onto anything to claim "failure".

The fact is toei is continuing it which is indeed a sucess even if detractors dont like it. And the fans personal view on whats determines a "sucess" does not matter at this point that has proved a commercial success, and there is no arguing against this proved fact.

But by all means anyone is free to discuss the quality or lack of, of crystal, that is a different issue, which rarely determines the actual sucess of a series as it has been proved time and time again anyway.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
That is true, it didn't have the plug pulled which means people are probably shopping for the products with giant rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

I'm not saying failure, I'm saying the quality is simply not excusable. When you are spending virtually nothing to produce a sub-par product and people are latching on to it for pure nostalgia's sake it makes sense to keep doing it.

My problem is that the quality is low, like a Disney Direct-To-Video movie. Sure it is Disney still, but their TV animation studio made that direct-to-video movie. Are all the Lion King spin-offs "The Worst Things Ever"? No. People have a problem 'cause they tarnish the pedigree of the franchise with quality that needn't be that low. Disney loves making those Direct-to-Video sequels, so they are successful.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
If Toei truly envisioned such merch success, they should've made deals with international broadcasters and used the business cache built up by the previous SM (and they had an extra couple years delay to work on it too).
ellephedre

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Sailor Moon is a success. Tv audience numbers/streaming only tell a part of the story. And if TOEI continues to produce more episodes then it means that for all pratical purposes that they are not losing money. IE the show is a success. As for the quality of the animation of the new series, good God go back and watch some of the classic Sailor Moon episodes. Just to have a reality check. Sailor Moon Crystal is not an OVA like Gundam Unicorn. It is tv material, low quality tv material that makes money.

This pretty much sums it well in crude words.

However crystal detractors want to cling onto anything to claim "failure".

The fact is toei is continuing it which is indeed a sucess even if detractors don't like it. And the fans personal view on whats determines a "sucess" does not matter at this point that has proved a commercial success, and there is no arguing against this proved fact.

I'm just blown away. This discussion is full of sound and logical arguments, but everyone who made them is just a 'detractor' who is 'clinging' to anything to prove is point.
'There is no arguing against a proved fact', but it's okay to discount the ones that you don't like it just to cling - for truth, in this case - to the one idea you don't want to abandon.
No answer to any counterargument, apart from 'it's your personal view', as if we were talking about mere tastes.

Really, you are not making a favor to the Crystal's fandom.
Just in case, no one is discussing the right to love Crystal and be happy that is continuing, just how it happened from an industry point view.
If it's a discussion for which a person has no more arguments than one, to keep repeating doesn't add anything to the conversation.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:47 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
That is true, it didn't have the plug pulled which means people are probably shopping for the products with giant rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

Of course and this is no secret, if I remember correctly director Munehisa Sakai said in some early interview exactly that they will target the old moonies to open their purses. The fact that they picked up manga-storyline as basis for the new series was done to support that strategy, if they were after some new target audience they would have created some new adapted story.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...

Opinion about SMC being good or bad aside...

So I'm checking the official link...

I'm confused.

It's either that Japan is going to make S, or France is just getting their own TV broadcast of SMC?

Miss Dream posted that she may have made a mistake but I saw that the post on Facebook was removed.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
The article needs to be fixed.

No second season.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how you guys are seeing the article being in error. The article says
Quote:
Toei Animation Europe mentioned in a news article on Friday that a second series of Sailor Moon Crystal is in the works, and will premiere this summer.

The Toei Animation Europe site used as source says
Quote:
A second season is currently under production in Japan where the broadcast will start this summer.

Whether or not it's accurate that a second season is being made or not, it doesn't change the solid fact that Toei Animation Europe mentioned in a news article that a second season is being made, which is what was being reported. And seeing as how it's been almost a week and there haven't been updates or redactions of that article on the TAE website, I'd say it's likely to be accurate.
Adv193

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
There is also this in the article:
"The French cable TV channel Canal J, aiming 8-14 years old kids, acquired the TV right of Sailor Moon Crystal first season (26x26’) and will start the broadcast in Autumn 2015!"

This part refers to the 26 known episodes already and so what is mentioned in production has nothing to do with that.

UPDATE: Disappointment confirmed: http://www.animeherald.com/2015/04/14/second-sailor-moon-crystal-series-in-the-works/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6