• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
there things in this world you cant unsee ever again the magical cabbage troop is one of such things Shocked
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
When they were tasting Shinomiya's dish, I got the sense that it was being dragged out. And so I had this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it was gonna cut to credits before they tasted Tadokoro's dish. And that did in fact happen which is complete BS. And unfortunately I'm pretty sure I know how this is gonna end and I'm curious to see how that plays out because from my perspective it wouldn't make much sense.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
This was a really well done episode. It did really well both with the tension and the comic relief. The cliffhanger sucks, but we just gotta roll with it.
Nyren wrote:
When they were tasting Shinomiya's dish, I got the sense that it was being dragged out. And so I had this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it was gonna cut to credits before they tasted Tadokoro's dish. And that did in fact happen which is complete BS. And unfortunately I'm pretty sure I know how this is gonna end and I'm curious to see how that plays out because from my perspective it wouldn't make much sense.

I've read the manga, and the outcome actually makes a lot more sense than you think. I'll spoil some stuff here, which is all probably gonna be revealed next episode, but if you want the impact next week, spoiler alert! spoiler[The reason they made Shinomiya's tasting so long was because 1, yes, for the cliffhanger, but also 2, to emphasize how great of a cook he is. Asshole he might be, opening a successful restaurant in Paris while competing with other major food venues takes serious cooking skills. To the surprise of some, Tadokoro does not simply take the win. If I remember correctly, out of the five judges (Dojima and Hinako join in on the vote) three vote for Shinomiya and two for Tadokoro, meaning she still is going to be expelled. However, Shinomiya himself, after tasting Tadokoro's dish, decides to give a vote of his own to Tadokoro. This is because after years of success in Paris, he has reached a wall with his cooking. He says in the episode that he did not make his signature dish because he was going easy on Tadokoro, but the truth is that he did not want to show the other alumni that his cooking had not progressed for years. Tadokoro's dish (which had many creative elements and had clever usage of vegetables) opened a new door for him to improve his cooking. The vote is then a tie 3-3. ]
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
This was a really well done episode. It did really well both with the tension and the comic relief. The cliffhanger sucks, but we just gotta roll with it.
Nyren wrote:

I've read the manga, and the outcome actually makes a lot more sense than you think. I'll spoil some stuff here, which is all probably gonna be revealed next episode, but if you want the impact next week, spoiler alert! spoiler[The reason they made Shinomiya's tasting so long was because 1, yes, for the cliffhanger, but also 2, to emphasize how great of a cook he is. Asshole he might be, opening a successful restaurant in Paris while competing with other major food venues takes serious cooking skills. To the surprise of some, Tadokoro does not simply take the win. If I remember correctly, out of the five judges (Dojima and Hinako join in on the vote) three vote for Shinomiya and two for Tadokoro, meaning she still is going to be expelled. However, Shinomiya himself, after tasting Tadokoro's dish, decides to give a vote of his own to Tadokoro. This is because after years of success in Paris, he has reached a wall with his cooking. He says in the episode that he did not make his signature dish because he was going easy on Tadokoro, but the truth is that he did not want to show the other alumni that his cooking had not progressed for years. Tadokoro's dish (which had many creative elements and had clever usage of vegetables) opened a new door for him to improve his cooking. The vote is then a tie 3-3. ]
That... actually does make a lot of sense and I look forward to seeing the animated version of it next week. Thank you.

I'm one of those people who can read spoilers, but still be completely surprised and everything when I actually see it for myself.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
It still doesn't change the fact that the pacing was awful in this episode, to the point where it felt REALLY REALLY dragged out, even before the post-credits bit. It makes me think they're either going to fill next week's episode entirely with the Shokugeki results, or split it with the end of the school trip/exam. Not sure how that's really going to work either way. I suppose it couldn't be helped, otherwise DAT WEEKLY CLIFFHANGER might be affected.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

Just how many damn foodgasms do you want per episode?
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Nyren wrote:

Isn't there plot floating around somewhere that could be put in, maybe? Or extraneous boob-grabbing?
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Nyren wrote:

I will not be satisfied until there are at least 10 per episode.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
That... actually does make a lot of sense and I look forward to seeing the animated version of it next week. Thank you.

I'm one of those people who can read spoilers, but still be completely surprised and everything when I actually see it for myself.

This was one of my favorite parts of the series when I read the manga because it presented it in a very well done way. spoiler[It allowed Tadokoro to stay at Totsuki without some ridiculous outcome of the shokugeki such as a student winning over an ex-first seat alumnus. The moment was also used to develop both Tadokoro and Shinomiya greatly, who would later contribute to the plot as well.]
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Preemptive strike: 12 was a great episode.
TD912

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Some parts of episode 12 were dragged out a bit but I still felt it was a great episode. I'm not sure how many episodes this series will be, but this one had some great character development going on. I feel that having Tadokoro "lose" the match was a genius way to keep things somewhat realistic while pointing out (somewhat ironically) that cooking food and being a chef isn't always about being selfish and winning lots of awards and contests. It would have been pretty bad writing to have an average student just magically win against a seasoned alumnus. The author found a way around it, effectively ending the battle in a "draw" and ending this arc on a mostly positive note for everyone involved.

Last edited by TD912 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Some parts of episode 12 were dragged out a bit but I still felt it was a great episode. I'm not sure how many episodes this series will be, but this one had some great character development going on. I feel that having Tadokoro "lose" the match was a genius way to keep things somewhat realistic while pointing out (somewhat ironically) that cooking food and being a chef isn't always about winning awards and contests. It would have been pretty bad writing to have an average student just magically win against a seasoned alumnus. The author found a way around it, effectively ending the battle in a "draw" and ending this arc on a mostly positive note for everyone involved.
From what I've been reading, supposedly Shokugeki is 24 episodes long. Which is perfectly fine by me because this is easily my favorite show of this season. Sorry UBW.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Some parts of episode 12 were dragged out a bit but I still felt it was a great episode. I'm not sure how many episodes this series will be, but this one had some great character development going on. I feel that having Tadokoro "lose" the match was a genius way to keep things somewhat realistic while pointing out (somewhat ironically) that cooking food and being a chef isn't always about being selfish and winning lots of awards and contests. It would have been pretty bad writing to have an average student just magically win against a seasoned alumnus. The author found a way around it, effectively ending the battle in a "draw" and ending this arc on a mostly positive note for everyone involved.

My thoughts exactly. When I first read the manga I was really impressed with how the author handled it because it didn't end with a ridiculous outcome such as a student winning against an alumnus, but it still saved Tadokoro and Soma from expulsion. Win-win.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode #12:

The result of the Shokugeki felt like a cop-out; the three appointed judges have given their vote (read: coin) to Shinomiya Kojirō meal, not Tadokoro Megumi's, but three people, who for all intent and purpose were no more than bystanders (with one being referred as such during the episode), gave their (invalid) votes, thus bringing the Shokugeki to a tie, which defeats the all "uneven number" concept.

I understand that Megumi's abilities aren't on par with Shinomiya's, and that with the exception of Yukihira Sōma, no-one thought that she would win, as well as that Dōjima Gin wants to lecture/encourage Shinomiya to strive for the next thing, but the end result still feel like the show deus ex machina'd itself out of this predicament.

It is nice to see that the middle cards are still funny. And when are those Megumi Mini-Plushies go on sale, exactly? Wink
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Episode #12:

The result of the Shokugeki felt like a cop-out; the three appointed judges have given their vote (read: coin) to Shinomiya Kojirō meal, not Tadokoro Megumi's, but three people, who for all intent and purpose were no more than bystanders (with one being referred as such during the episode), gave their (invalid) votes, thus bringing the Shokugeki to a tie, which defeats the all "uneven number" concept.

I understand that Megumi's abilities aren't on par with Shinomiya's, and that with the exception of Yukihira Sōma, no-one thought that she would win, as well as that Dōjima Gin wants to lecture/encourage Shinomiya to strive for the next thing, but the end result still feel like the show deus ex machina'd itself out of this predicament.

Well, the judging staff wasn't entirely serious about the whole thing, and if Shinomiya himself gave pardon to Megumi, there's no reason for them to say otherwise. It's not like they wanted Megumi to be expelled or anything. I mean, if it were an official shokugeki, this outcome wouldn't be overlooked by Totsuki, but since it is unofficial, the results are really arbitrary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 19