• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey, manga readers - is this arc so draggy in the manga, or is the director just having severe pacing issues the last few weeks?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think it's a director/anime issue - I remember just flying through this part in the manga volumes.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It looks like some of the same problems Jojo ran into for part 3; too much stuff to fit into one episode but not quiet enough for 2, and they end up either rushing or dragging. Unless Netflix replaces TV there's always gonna be problems caused by fitting every story into 24 minute chunks.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
A person reads manga at their own pace, but an anime has to flesh out the bits that are left to reader's imagination... not to mention they would run out of source material in a single season if they went at manga pace.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It is a bit slow. Quite frankly they could have sped things up with some of the tastings, but I'd prefer this over it being rushed.

And also, Kurokiba's shades under his eyes look like he drawed it on with permanent marker, lol. Better shading next time, J.C. Staff.
Selipse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I think the pacing's alright. Adding to the fact that you can take your own time while reading manga, think about this: did you read it when that part was already done, or did you read the chapters week by week as they were being released? If the answer's the former, that just strengthens the fact that it really just was your own pacing.
I think we should stop thinking "was this enough content for a week?" and we should stop expecting big plot advances every episode (and this doesn't only apply for this show).
Also keep in mind that you only get one chance to watch the show as it airs, so it's best that it works as a whole. You didn't think about how much content there was in a single chapter when you flew through this part in the manga, did you?
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
For me it isn't about the amount of content, it's about how the content is presented and where the high and low notes are in the episodes. If that made no sense, apologies in advance, as I'm exhausted and recovering from minor surgery... but yeah, you can take a simple task and stretch it over a whole episode if it's done well... it just hasn't been, last few weeks.

Also, the person with tattoos under their eyes - were those not supposed to be tattoos? Character design fail, then. Dude looks like a weird face tatted emo kid.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13 review wrote:
Of course, the end of the episode might indicate otherwise. Soma, who has chosen a meringue omelet for the breakfast egg challenge, may not have all his ducks in a row this time.

This is a first time, isn't it? Soma's defining characteristic is his self confidence with the skill to back it up and he has played aggressively and won on each and every conflict since he arrived at the school.

The trial where Tadokoro was lead chef doesn't count; there is only so much he could do from the assistant position.

It seems that he tried for a low-key dish this time around and it isn't working. He either has a strategy with a late-stack play in it or he is going to have to improvise on the back stretch. It is a bit worrying that he has never seen a "high-class" hotel before. If he has to adapt it will have to be utterly brilliant.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Ep 13 review wrote:
Of course, the end of the episode might indicate otherwise. Soma, who has chosen a meringue omelet for the breakfast egg challenge, may not have all his ducks in a row this time.

This is a first time, isn't it?

I believe it is.
HaruhiToy wrote:
It seems that he tried for a low-key dish this time around and it isn't working. He either has a strategy with a late-stack play in it or he is going to have to improvise on the back stretch. It is a bit worrying that he has never seen a "high-class" hotel before. If he has to adapt it will have to be utterly brilliant.

Spoiler alert. spoiler[The dish he was making required immediate consumption or else it would become soggy and bad tasting. This was what he was used to back in "Yukihira". Serving dishes fast and immediately for customers to enjoy. However, in a buffet, the consumer decides when they will eat the dish, making Souma's dish very hard to serve on time, especially with a need of 200 servings.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Ep 13 review wrote:
I, for one, will be pleased to see this storyline end and the next one pick up the pace.

Every time I see someone write this I will either agree or disagree, but in this case I cannot understand where this is coming from.

Every single episode brings a new conflict for Soma. A new antagonist. Often a new ally or luminary. At LEAST two detailed critiques of a culinary dish you have never heard before, and almost ALWAYS a new cliffhanger. If this were Bleach each face-off would have been stretched over at least three episodes -- here it is always resolved either in the same episode or immediately at the beginning of the next one.

Tell me -- exactly what would the pace that would be pleasing to you for this story look like?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
To the reviewer: While it is true that we saw Alice's dish last episode, it was a superficial glance that showed people walking away from what they assumed were ordinary eggs. It didn't receive focus until this episode.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
A fair point, FilthyCasual. I believe that it was mentioned that it was made of fish eggs last week, though, which was rehashed this week. It just felt a little unnecessary to me, and like it was taking time away from Soma's struggle.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
A fair point, FilthyCasual. I believe that it was mentioned that it was made of fish eggs last week, though, which was rehashed this week. It just felt a little unnecessary to me, and like it was taking time away from Soma's struggle.

You believe incorrectly. Alice talked to Nikumi, then went back to her own table. Nikumi looked at her table, saw a boiled egg, an unshelled egg, and a raw egg in a dish, and wondered what the heck Alice was up to. That's the extent to which Alices dish was covered. After that it switched to Erina and her eggs benedict, which included salmon roe, then the episode ended.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I am the shell of my omelette
White is my body, Yolk is my blood
I have crafted over a thousand recipes

Unlimited Egg Works!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:

You believe incorrectly.

Ah. Mea culpa, then, and I'm going to go ahead and blame the madness that is preview guide, along with my Unexpected Boat Adventure. Laughing Embarassed

@prime_pm

I will now chant that every time I make eggs. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 19