• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
i ate beef, pork and chicken curry before... but this is the first time seeing fish curry

seeing a whole head of the fish like that:? ... not so sure if i want to eat it though..
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Ep 23 review wrote:
Plus I'm pretty sure it'll make us all crave curry if you aren't already.

A really nice review that hit pretty much every important point.

For myself I didn't find myself in any danger of getting bored even through the "slow" segments. As for fan service I had more fun watching Megumi being so freaked out that they had to draw her four times at once than I did of Mito-san's low-angle shot from the rear. I like fan service usually but it just really seemed a bit tacked on here.

But what this episode really did was set up what we all know is coming -- what Soma figured out to pull out a win. The ending pretty much made it clear that he figured out something pretty fundamental. I can't imagine anyone seeing this episode and then skipping the next.

The thing I can't figure out is how any set of judges, no matter how experienced, can pick winners and losers out of sixty independent dishes. How does someone eat that many -- even one bite each -- without barfing?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're specialy trained, or have lots of experience. Or it's not as hard as it seems, if the Food Network, Travel Channel, and Cooking Channel's seemingly random hosts for their foods-at-various-places shows is any indication. The county fair one on the Food Network has Anthony Anderson, who is otherwise not significantly involved in food or cooking, and he seems to eat like 12 things at these county fairs in one go.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
They're not just tasting the food, they're watching it be cooked.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
They're not just tasting the food, they're watching it be cooked.

They are watching 30 different recipes being cooked simultaneously, and they can discern the attributes of each dish individually. It works for this story but in real life no way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Araki from Knight in the Area gave up soccer for Italian cooking. Smile
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
appearance and smell can be misleading

it's the taste that is important Laughing
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
After this episode, I'm wondering about the pacing for the rest of the season. Unless they plan on skipping or glossing over some people, there are six more significant characters in Group B who need to go through judging (Megumi, Miyoko, Yoshino, Alice, and the Aldinis) and then there's still everyone in Group A left. If all of them get the same kind of spotlight in front of the judges as Nao and Hisako got in this episode (food description, tasting, reaction shots, etc.), it could be a tight squeeze fitting everyone in and still giving us some kind of ending in just three more episodes.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
After this episode, I'm wondering about the pacing for the rest of the season. Unless they plan on skipping or glossing over some people, there are six more significant characters in Group B who need to go through judging (Megumi, Miyoko, Yoshino, Alice, and the Aldinis) and then there's still everyone in Group A left. If all of them get the same kind of spotlight in front of the judges as Nao and Hisako got in this episode (food description, tasting, reaction shots, etc.), it could be a tight squeeze fitting everyone in and still giving us some kind of ending in just three more episodes.
I think it's pretty clear they'll end at the end of the preliminaries and then tease the next season where the main event takes place.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

Assuming they continue to faithfully follow the manga, there are 8 chapters left of the preliminaries arc to cover. 8 chapters in 3 episodes is pretty typical pacing for a shounen adaptation, so I think we'll be okay.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Considering this is a Shonen Jump adaptation it's possible it could go beyond 26 episodes.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Considering this is a Shonen Jump adaptation it's possible it could go beyond 26 episodes.

I feel Like it has to, there's no way to wrap up the Elections in four episodes.

I liked this episode, anything with Hisako is great, and White Nao is funny for the quick second and the ending.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the glasses judge in Group B looks like Anton Ego, the critic from Ratatouille?
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

not sure if it's official.... but i think this will be a 24 episodes series

if they cut corner at this pace then there's nothing much to show..let alone season 2??

it's catching up to the manga in no time at this pace Rolling Eyes
srlracing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It may be just me, but as Food Wars has gone on, I've found myself sympathizing more and more with Megumi Tadokoro.

Oh... you did not know Megumi is actually the protagonist?! The Mangaka just kept Soma around long enough to get the manga in Shonen Jump, he actually gets killed off next week in an anticlimactic freak knife accident, he was a throw away character to begin with! HaHaHa! I am kidding but Megumi is my favorite character in this show.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I can 100% say wholeheartedly that Megumi is the absoulte best girl. I wouldn't have liked the series as much without her tenacity and modesty. Also I just love those character types more than I thought. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19