• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ Which would be ok, as long as it wasn't homophobic or similarly offensive in its disparagement of the subject matter or those who like it. Again, I don't need a reviewer who echoes my own opinions. If they're different, I'll just say so if I feel inclined to counter them. I wouldn't call for a replacement.

I wish more people felt this way. Saddens me that so many reviewers here get so much shit from people because they don't mirror their own opinions or tell them what they want to hear. Personally I find reviewers who have differing opinions than my own help me figure out if I truly like a show or not. Their opposing view makes me consider the other side and either A. I wind up considering a different opinion or seeing the show from a different angle, or B. it reinforces my own opinions which makes me like the show even more. Plus you don't need to "get" the genre or sub-genre as a reviewer to be able to give an objective opinion.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Growing one's own vegetables though--wouldn't that put the chef under the magnifying glasses under more health regulations than if he or she didn't? He or she would have to make sure the materials from the garden meet health department standards.

They're not growing it to sell though. I think personal use of grown vegetables and fruits aren't against regulations? Also, I'm sure we can expect there to be many examiners from the health department at Totsuki. Heck, the garden's owned by the seventh seat of the elite ten.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Growing one's own vegetables though--wouldn't that put the chef under the magnifying glasses under more health regulations than if he or she didn't? He or she would have to make sure the materials from the garden meet health department standards.

That's true... assuming we are discussing your average garden. But this is an average garden, it is one that is located within one of Japan's (and maybe the world's?) top culinary schools. The establishment has the resources to be high-class and posh, so it isn't far-fetched to assume that any and all ingredients undergo meticulous checks and inspections on a regular basis. The last thing a highly-praised, critically-acclaimed culinary school needs is to appear on the evening news for food poisoning or other, food-related ailments.

Also, that particular garden is in the care of the Seventh Seat, Isshiki Satoshi (and with the numbering system going from the lowest being First Seat, and the highest, Nakiri Erina, is the Tenth Seat, it should provide an indication to Isshiki's overall abilities), so I doubt that he would allow himself to not attend to the garden and let harmful elements or mismanagement soil his status and rank, or his personal achievements (whatever they may be) and record.

Which is why is disagree with Rebecca Silverman's analysis on those scenes. It provided important, world-building narrative, and without "laying it down" with exposition - like a lot of shows like to do these days ("hey, I'm XXX and I'm XXX old. I currently live in XXX, and my next-door neighbour is XXX..."), which is a plus in my book. Also, personally, I liked the characters' Slice-of-Life moment in the garden; it showed some more of their relaxed mood than the high-pressure, "gotta pull-off a cool meal" persona they use while cooking/competing.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Fri May 15, 2015 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Also, that particular garden is in the care of the Seventh Seat, Isshiki Satoshi (and with the numbering system going from the lowest being First Seat, and the highest, Nakiri Erina, is the Tenth Seat, it should provide an indication to Isshiki's overall abilities), so I doubt that he would allow himself to not attend to the garden and let harmful elements or mismanagement soil his status and rank, or his personal achievements (whatever they may be) and record.

Actually, it goes from 10 to 1 and 10 being the lowest. Erina is actually at the bottom of the elite ten right now, but that doesn't change the fact that she made it into Totsuki's top ten in her first year of high school.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Actually, it goes from 10 to 1 and 10 being the lowest. Erina is actually at the bottom of the elite ten right now, but that doesn't change the fact that she made it into Totsuki's top ten in her first year of high school.

So Miss High & Mighty is at Fledgling Tier? Laughing Laughing
I just love this series even more.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Not sure how I managed to get this far. The early season reviews kept me from this show a long time. People really liked it so I tried the 1st episode. I shuttered in horror at one of the most anti-women things I`ve watched by suggestion. People still seemed to make a big deal about this show (and the roast part was good). So I decided to see if, like was being said, it had gotten better. Episode 2, slightly less disgusting, and still good food stuff (not women friendly still). Episode 3, a good overall episode but why the honey? (army of little Soma`s is never a good idea, and done two times in a row >.>)

When they reach polar star dorm the series finally shifts away from this extremely cheauvanistic guise to a slightly less cheauvanistic guise and I can at last admit the series is good. This series has a wonderful way of presenting food and giving cooking tips. It is a wonderful food show that has a serious issue with misogyny....

I think part of my issue with the series would be helped by never having watched that first episode. Can`t believe that a director would take that tone if not planning to keep it. This is a good shounen show, but I still feel completely disrespected by the makers while watching it. Maybe at some point this feeling that women need to be put in their place will finally be rubbed off the show, but sadly that is the subtext of the main goal of the hero....

Cooking shows are fun, shounen sports shows are fun, why does enjoying this show have to come with a lot of work? I really can`t believe that people try so hard to argue that an imagined scene is lesser in a work of fiction. The foodgasms cross borders most ecchi shows won`t in their intent. The show has improved, but it still makes me feel dirty.

Yeah, I like the show... can we have an edited version that makes it an overall good show though? Really only need to fix 3 episodes. After that it has more the feel any series like this would. And I love squid but stop!!! It just keeps coming back....
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
The squid is used for comedy effect, which is why it's brought back. Maybe it's not as obvious as I thought? This show has no problems with misogyny, it's simply coincidence that the first few foodgasms were of women who opposed Soma. I wish people would stop making assumptions like "This anime hates women" just because some of the core antagonists are women.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
It wasn`t just the foodgasm in the first part. Everything about that characters` actions was all disgusting. Unlike Erina every moment with the manager trying to take the property was really disgusting outside of the food itself. I`m not saying this show is a bad show, but it really does have a very awkward undercurrent. I don`t tend to look away from something and still go ahead and watch more.

I`ve admitted my views to support this despite sharing a lot of feelings others are having. Stop trying to act like something so many of us are experiencing with this anime isn`t there. If it really wasn`t there then why does it keep coming up? The show is good, but it has a high entry bar for women. Something that is a little awkward for a shounen. I`m not the target audience, but generally shounen don`t go down the paths this show does.

Why do guys always think it`s about the antagonist being a woman? I have no problem with him competing against women. I have a problem with where they decided to take him competing against women.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
Okay, I see where you're coming from with the garden scene. I still personally found it dull upon rewatching it with that in mind, possibly because it didn't really explain any of the process behind the growing in detail (fertilization, seed quality, irrigation systems) and just showed the food. I think I've been spoiled by how Silver Spoon handled farming, to be honest.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
I feel the dropped line about how it`s cutting into Isshiki`s studies was a better presentation for the focus of this show than really explaining food cultivation. They need to be focusing on cooking, and that was quite a large home garden.
Realquick

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Somehow JC staff makes the adaptation much more perverted than the manga drawn by a hentai artist.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Plus you don't need to "get" the genre or sub-genre as a reviewer to be able to give an objective opinion.
Objective opinion? Talk about an oxymoron.
B00m23

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ Which would be ok, as long as it wasn't homophobic or similarly offensive in its disparagement of the subject matter or those who like it. Again, I don't need a reviewer who echoes my own opinions. If they're different, I'll just say so if I feel inclined to counter them. I wouldn't call for a replacement.

I wish more people felt this way. Saddens me that so many reviewers here get so much shit from people because they don't mirror their own opinions or tell them what they want to hear. Personally I find reviewers who have differing opinions than my own help me figure out if I truly like a show or not. Their opposing view makes me consider the other side and either A. I wind up considering a different opinion or seeing the show from a different angle, or B. it reinforces my own opinions which makes me like the show even more. Plus you don't need to "get" the genre or sub-genre as a reviewer to be able to give an objective opinion.

Reviews are not objective. They can never be; unless you're talking about technical aspects such as animation or anatomy.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
An objective review of a TV show is a channel listing and plot summary.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
That's true... assuming we are discussing your average garden. But this is an average garden, it is one that is located within one of Japan's (and maybe the world's?) top culinary schools. The establishment has the resources to be high-class and posh, so it isn't far-fetched to assume that any and all ingredients undergo meticulous checks and inspections on a regular basis. The last thing a highly-praised, critically-acclaimed culinary school needs is to appear on the evening news for food poisoning or other, food-related ailments.

You have a point there. The school's reputation would mean it cannot afford to let any unsafe food reach anyone's mouths (perhaps except for the person who cooked it), so it'd be logical they'd take food safety extremely seriously. (I don't think that's an issue that's come up in the manga either, but I haven't read it all.)

(This garden story reminded me of food safety because I know a chef who isn't satisfied with the chili peppers available to her, so she grows her own chili pepper plants at the back of the building. This meant the health inspector had to consider her restaurant as both a restaurant and a food supplier, which is a lot more legal work.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 19