• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Plastic Memories

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robeltharion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Next episode is about Sherry (i don't know is that's her name) and the person she likes. So meh. Look for the pv.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Surprised it has 3 episodes left. The finale would've been suitable with the ending of episode 10. At this stage the show's narrative would fare better if the viewer simply cerebrally surmised the remaining storyline rather than endure it visually.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Surprised it has 3 episodes left. The finale would've been suitable with the ending of episode 10. At this stage the show's narrative would fare better if the viewer simply cerebrally surmised the remaining storyline rather than endure it visually.

I am sure that two half episodes will deal with how Isla is resurrected in some unprecedented way after retrieval. That's what I am betting on happening anyway.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
^
I will be very surprised (and mightily disappointed) if that does happen. It would be a betrayal of everything that the series has done so far.

I do not share the concerns that a lot of others do about this series. Episode 10 worked great for me on an emotional level, and I think it accomplished its purpose of setting up its emotional appeal quite nicely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
I felt episode 10 was the strongest the show has ever been. It`s one of the few episodes where half the episode isn`t cringe worthy, and for once the other characters are toned down enough to work. Yay for constance.

They did give a larger explanation for Kazuki leaving Isla than the foot. Isla was so focused on making everything right for the retrieval targets and the families that she tended to freeze up and become useless for a time. That`s why she wasn`t available. Basically they have made Isla have the same issue as Tsukasa.

The mafia scene was the first time Isla really got to look good. Something that would`ve been nice to have happen a while ago.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
After using the whole of episode 8 to prove that their is no life after death for Giftias it would be a huge cop out if they done a u-turn. I hedging my bets that they'll just kill Isla off but recycle her back into the team again so the whole love angle can start from scratch.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Now something like THAT wouldn't surprise me. In fact, I had been considering that possibility myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I am willing to bet, perhaps not a hand, but several of my fingers, that they will not manage to find a way to extend Isla's life.

As they have used 10 out of 13 episodes to explain in various ways how giftia memories are irretrievable, only a drunk/high writer would do an asspull like that at the last minute.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
Oh look, it's an hourglass showing how the sands are running out, like the giftias time running out - how symbolic, how deep. Rolling Eyes

It might have been better if it wasn't so in your face... It's one thing to use it for a tea timer, but given the overly long spot of the conversation at the table - it just felt like poor writing - as my roommate has called it - the writing for this series feels like cheap plastic - and I'm inclined to agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Great, another anime romance with a middle-school approach to sex.

This is why I actually watched all of something as forgettable as B-Gata H-Kei since it actually allowed people to have libidos.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So much potential, wasted.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Sheesh, haphephobia much? "The touch, it burns!!"

Can't see much of the plot through all the rainbow bubbles. :/
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Why does isla need to eat? Isn't she an android? She blushes too? Does she have to use the bathroom, I mean the food has to go somewhere? Are they actually suggesting that it's normal for people to have sex with Giftias?

Feel like I'm missing something...hmm..maybe just maybe they will reveal that Isla isn't actually a Giftia, Bam problem solved.

Okay joking aside I feel they'll just replace her memories like someone else said. This episode had me cringing though, it's hard to believe these people are adults.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Hyro_10 wrote:
Why does isla need to eat? Isn't she an android? She blushes too? Does she have to use the bathroom, I mean the food has to go somewhere? Are they actually suggesting that it's normal for people to have sex with Giftias?

Feel like I'm missing something...hmm..maybe just maybe they will reveal that Isla isn't actually a Giftia, Bam problem solved.

Okay joking aside I feel they'll just replace her memories like someone else said. This episode had me cringing though, it's hard to believe these people are adults.

Isla has used the bathroom several times before and it has come up in the dialogue. So Giftia's can indeed eat, and do indeed go to the bathroom. Based off of this it wouldn't be too far of a stretch, considering some of the other relationships in the show, and their coworkers comments, that people can indeed have sex with Giftias.

Anyway, I loved this episode! One of my favorite things in anime is when there is a story about "sexless, anxious barely-adults awkwardly cohabiting for the first time", because its the opposite of how relationships are portrayed in other media. Being asexual, I love relationships like these, and I'm always happy to see them being depicted especially when its done as good as it has been in Plastic Memories.

I know there will be a catch and I will probably be emotionally destroyed but as of now, I'm loving this show.

And if the next episode is about who Sherry likes as others have said, I hope it can be with Constance or another Giftia. A lot of the relationships in the show are based off of human-Giftia interactions, and I would love to see how Giftia's interact with and possibly enter relationships with each other. That could serve as an interesting foil to Tsukasa and Isla's relationship.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hyro_10 wrote:

I think it's safe to say Griftias are only androids because they had to be something & the sci-fi slant made PM's premise stand out a bit among all the fantasy stuff these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14