• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Chichiryuutei wrote:
This episode was AWESOME! There were major/minor spoiler[Mjolnir isn't supposed to show up yet, Akeno & Asia were supposed to be in the fight and heal Issei, There was no curse, the chichigami isn't supposed to show yet, Akeno&Issei had different clothes, Issei used Bilingual without naming the attack yet and Baraqil did cried.] differences but all in all TNK did an amazing job with this episode when you take in consideration how little time/episodes they have to animate the longest novels in the series. My faith has been completely restore and we're heading towards an awesome finale.

Are you sure that the spoiler[chichigami doesn't appear at the very end of the part with Loki? I'm pretty sure I remember it giving him a power up, though I don't think it being the chichigami was specifically stated at that point.]

Anyway, I can't believe no one has mentioned the most important part yet... With Loki gone now, who is going to dub Issei spoiler[the Chichiryuutei and Vali the Ketsuryuukou? They can't possibly skip that, it is too important for the plot.]

Actually, Loki spoiler[isn't really gone. Issei didn't defeat him completely (to me it seems like he was sent away by the chichigami). And, that's why I'm still expecting to see the seirei which serves Chichigami-sama. Basically, she funnels the powers of the chichigami so that Issei can actually use mjlonir and really beat Loki. Therefore, I'm still expecting to see Odin again and rename the hakuryuukou the Ketsuryuukou. If Ddraig can suffer so can Albion! The heavenly dragons rant/grieve are hilarious!]
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I was curious about that too. I think that makes plenty of sense, but it seems a little odd that on the ANN main page the headline says episode 6, the DxD Born review main page that lists all the episodes says 30, the top of the actual review says episode 30, and at the bottom of the review when you score the episode it says episode 6 again. Maybe you are just in the process of converting everything? I think you could make a case to go either way, but probably better to be consistent across the board.

I know Zac's intention was to shift it fully over to Funimation's numbering system, so he may have just missed a couple of places. Consider that a work in progress.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
So the reason why Scott Freeman isn't playing Issei has finally come out. I didn't catch all the details, but basically Scott Freeman has retired from voice acting. In the end I don't think I can really fault anyone since Freeman probably has a very good reason. I'm not sure what's going on with Teri Rogers (Maybe it's just an inconvenient schedule) but if you were holding out for Scott Freeman like I was planning on doing... well, don't.

It's definitely quite sad, but I can accept it. Plus Funimation obviously knew what they were doing when they cast Josh Grelle in the role. The difference between his and Freeman's performance is about as big as the difference between Troy Baker and Matthew Mercer's performances as Kanji in Persona 4 (Which is to say not much). Persona fans seem to have accepted Matthew Mercer, so hopefully fans of DxD's English dub can come to accept Josh Grelle.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Episode #7:

My main point of dissatisfaction is that in the 9-minute mark, Himejima Akeno was shown with 2 devil wings, instead of 1 devil, 1 fallen angel.

And after the Occult Research Club transports to where they think the Rating Game will be held, a few characters spoke, but the camera was focused on Rias Gremory's ass (not that this on itself is a bad thing Cool).
shadowypoet

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Episode #7:

My main point of dissatisfaction is that in the 9-minute mark, Himejima Akeno was shown with 2 devil wings, instead of 1 devil, 1 fallen angel.

She was always shown with two devil wings in seasons 1 and 2 up until she revealed her wings to Issei when discussing her parentage. She was shown with two devil wings in the battles at the end of the second season and the first battle this season as well.

It can be inferred that she can control whether she has matching devil wings or mixed devil and fallen angel. I cannot remember if the light novels ever actually explicitly address how she can show two devil wings or not. Regardless, she has the ability and motivation (her feelings about Barkiel) to hide her fallen angel wing so showing her with two devil wings is not a continuity lapse.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I've certainly been missing Freed. except for a certain scene early in season 1, the guy is pretty kooky and very entertaining
LordAura

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It also has plenty of girls fawning over Issei to one degree or another, with Kuroka, who wants to have the child of Dragon, also now making advances (in both the nudity and “hitting on Issei” senses). That makes Rossweise and Irina the only current hold-outs among recurring characters, and Irina seems be gradually edging in that direction, too.

This is by far my biggest issue with the show. I know it's a harem and all, but when literally every recurring female character becomes a harem mate it just makes the show boring. It doesn't help that Xenovia and Koneko's reasons for joining the harem are poorly written(imo). I still think the extremely weird and abrupt way Xenovia changed is probably the worst part of the show so far and I still don't completely understand it. I loved season 1, sort of liked season 2, and it's looking like I may just lose interest by the end of this season. It's just not as fun or written as well as when it started to me.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I still don't know what's up with Xenovia.

And I'm definitely also missing Freed. He knows exactly what show he's in, and enjoys it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Sorry, but whether that news is real or not, I think gossip or rumors of this magnitude are best left untouched until some kind of official confirmation comes around. Better to respect the person's privacy, rather than spreading distressful heresay which may or may not be true. -TK]
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall, though, the franchise continues to be stuck in one of its weakest runs of episodes.

Ohhhh really??? Just you wait my friend... just wait! I'm pretty sure that once you see what's coming in the next couple of episodes you'll change your tune pretty quickly. (BTW, I love your reviews!)

Quote:
It also has plenty of girls fawning over Issei to one degree or another, with Kuroka, who wants to have the child of Dragon, also now making advances (in both the nudity and “hitting on Issei” senses). That makes Rossweise and Irina the only current hold-outs among recurring characters, and Irina seems be gradually edging in that direction, too.

Well... you need to remember that the hosts of the Two-Heavenly Dragons have specific traits. Albion's trait brings closer to his host the powerful or aspiring to be powerful. Ddraig's trait brings his host closer to the people of the opposing sex (i.e. makes him popular). In short, Vali likes to gain power while Issei likes girls. So, guess what happens...

One thing I'd like to point out is that the LNs are much more serious than the anime. The anime goes super fanservice heavy all the time while the LNs basically guide you to the fanservice. However, don't misunderstand it's ecchi through and through!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kudos to people who are taking the copyright infringing uncensored episodes and adding in the dubbed dialogue. I wish the Japanese would allow Funi to (semi-)simul dub the series like that from the beginning.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
LordAura wrote:
It doesn't help that Xenovia and Koneko's reasons for joining the harem are poorly written(imo).

Xenovia definitely was a pretty big and sudden change. I thought Koneko was handled fairly well, but the anime cut stuff, added stuff, and drastically crammed stuff during what would have been her arc. It felt a lot more gradual to me in the novels (or maybe I just want to remember it that way because it has been a while).
Zuwaiss

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
The reviewer ought to get this correct at least once, it is "Rating Games" not "Ratings Games"...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
I've tried, but everytime I see that title of the DSR, I sometimes get a little confused until I remember what it meant to convey.

The current numbering scheme of using the episodes' number within the series across its seasons, and using the 3rd season's subtitle at the same time indicates (at least to me) that the episode reviewed is the [number] within its season, even though each episode's number is per-season, not the total count, like with BorN's Episode #6 (「二学期, はじめました!」 「Nigakki, Hajimemashita!」 ["Second Semester has Started!"]).

If I may give a suggestion, I think that either removing the season's subtitle and retaining the current numbering scheme, or reverting back to the episodes' number within the season and retaining the season's subtitle would be the best courses of action. Just my 2 cents here.

Side-note: @Key wrote that this numbering scheme is per FUNimation's. If they are using this exact format, then they're using quite a confusing one. (BTW, you managed to ask FUNi reps at the Anime Central convention?)
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Side-note: @Key wrote that this numbering scheme is per FUNimation's. If they are using this exact format, then they're using quite a confusing one. (BTW, you managed to ask FUNi reps at the Anime Central convention?)

Um, that is what the whole first paragraph of episode 31's review is about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10