• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School DxD BorN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Um, that is what the whole first paragraph of episode 31's review is about.

Really? So FUNi is using this format? Why would they do that? Anime dazed

Also, I somehow missed this review. I apologize Embarassed
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
[
Really? So FUNi is using this format? Why would they do that? Anime dazed

that's also explained it the first paragraph. it's how their website works
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
that's also explained it the first paragraph. it's how their website works

What I meant is why they can't program it better than the current scheme, with each show numbered by its root title, and not per-season.

If they were to license a show that has a prefix, it will brake their system, like Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei - 1st season: Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei; 2nd season: Zoku Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei; 3rd season: Zan Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei. And by braking it, it will give each season's episode its appropriate number (unless they'll turn each prefix into a suffix).
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
So the reason why Scott Freeman isn't playing Issei has finally come out. I didn't catch all the details, but basically Scott Freeman has retired from voice acting. In the end I don't think I can really fault anyone since Freeman probably has a very good reason. I'm not sure what's going on with Teri Rogers (Maybe it's just an inconvenient schedule) but if you were holding out for Scott Freeman like I was planning on doing... well, don't.

It's definitely quite sad, but I can accept it. Plus Funimation obviously knew what they were doing when they cast Josh Grelle in the role. The difference between his and Freeman's performance is about as big as the difference between Troy Baker and Matthew Mercer's performances as Kanji in Persona 4 (Which is to say not much). Persona fans seem to have accepted Matthew Mercer, so hopefully fans of DxD's English dub can come to accept Josh Grelle.

doubt that's gonna be the case. while some liked the role for date a live, infinite stratos is another story since others didn't even though i liked his take as ichika. unfortunately it definitely dont work for issei though. its a shame freeman decided to retire,especially since he's still very at a young age. i would guess he either didn't have the passion to VA in the anime industry anymore which isnt surprising since VA have done this at a young age or something else forced him to retire.

either way while the new AV for akeno is fine, afraid grelle is a big miscast as the new issei.

sure he did fine in date a live and for both seasons of IS,however its only two roles in an anime harem series.

personally funi should have had Greg Ayres as issei instead since he's done more male lead roles in harem series. especially when it came for for heaven's lost property where the main is an even uber perv than issei. hell, if the news about freeman retiring had been announced, almost every dub fan would have predicted that it would either be ayres or vale that would have been casted as him.

Quote:
Somewhat surprisingly, the series actually didn't have to pull something out of its ass to keep him alive (unlike a certain other recent fan service-heavy series I could name)

and what other heavy induced fanservice series does that? other than DxD or Infinite Stratos (which isnt that heavy in the fanservice) which in a sense isnt farfetched or in the "didn't have to pull something out of their ass to keep the main character alive" scenario. especially since most heavy induced fanservice series is more about the fanservice than scenarios like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
either way while the new AV for akeno is fine, afraid grelle is a big miscast as the new issei.

sure he did fine in date a live and for both seasons of IS,however its only two roles in an anime harem series.

personally funi should have had Greg Ayres as issei instead since he's done more male lead roles in harem series. especially when it came for for heaven's lost property where the main is an even uber perv than issei. hell, if the news about freeman retiring had been announced, almost every dub fan would have predicted that it would either be ayres or vale that would have been casted as him.

And again, someone is going to have to explain to me, in detail, why Josh Grelle is a "miscast." He doesn't sound that different from Freeman to me and he gets the attitude exactly right.

As for Greg Ayres being better-suited? He does pretty well as a male harem lead when the lead is a simpering milquetoast, but I have been far less impressed with him in bolder and brassier roles like Issei. Hence I don't agree at all that he would be either a good fit or a better fit.

Quote:
Quote:
Somewhat surprisingly, the series actually didn't have to pull something out of its ass to keep him alive (unlike a certain other recent fan service-heavy series I could name)

and what other heavy induced fanservice series does that? other than DxD or Infinite Stratos (which isnt that heavy in the fanservice) which in a sense isnt farfetched or in the "didn't have to pull something out of their ass to keep the main character alive" scenario. especially since most heavy induced fanservice series is more about the fanservice than scenarios like that.

Cross Ange did it in a big (and especially egregious) way. Even the series' most diehard supporters complained about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

And again, someone is going to have to explain to me, in detail, why Josh Grelle is a "miscast." He doesn't sound that different from Freeman to me and he gets the attitude exactly right.

As for Greg Ayres being better-suited? He does pretty well as a male harem lead when the lead is a simpering milquetoast, but I have been far less impressed with him in bolder and brassier roles like Issei. Hence I don't agree at all that he would be either a good fit or a better fit.

i also had those concerns as well but considering that he did very well as Tomoki from Sora no Otoshimono (which i've watched multiple times and liked) whose an even bigger perv than issei he would have done solid enough and no one would be surprised at all.

Don't get me wrong. grelle is doing solid voicework as issei ,just like with ichika, however so did mignona when he got the role as tamaki from ouran host high school and to this day dub fans is still calling the biggest dub miscasting for a character.

dont be surprised if other dub fans in the US otaku community also are calling this one a mistcast as well even though the VA is doing a solid voicework in the role. Not as big as vic being tamaki, but a miscast nevertheless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I think Asia might have disappeared because spoiler[maybe she was reincarnated as an angel like Irina.] Just speculation on my part. Definitely unexpected though.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
OH MAN!! Next episode is going to be awesome. "Someone" made a mistake and "someone else" is going to send him to "crimson purgatory". BOOST!!!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
well that was disappointing. I figured Freed was no longer strong enough to be an actual threat to the Gremory household, but I didn't think he'd go down that fast. Farewell you crazy psychotic bastard.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
well that was disappointing. I figured Freed was no longer strong enough to be an actual threat to the Gremory household, but I didn't think he'd go down that fast. Farewell you crazy psychotic bastard.

Finally his outsides looked just as loathsome as his insides.

Good riddance, Freed, you despicable bastard.

Next episode: shit gets real.

BOOST!
thaivuN

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
OH MAN!! Next episode is going to be awesome. "Someone" made a mistake and "someone else" is going to send him to "crimson purgatory". BOOST!!!

This is pretty much where TNK has to really UP the melodrama. or else I'm enticed to rate this entire season a failure.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
so, dress break works against binding spells, that woud be rpetty fun in a series like nanoha, in which they use those pretty often.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, in the Nanoha universe, damage IS reflected by clothing damage. Just look at Vivid that's airing.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, in the Nanoha universe, damage IS reflected by clothing damage. Just look at Vivid that's airing.

Not just ViVid, but Clothing Damage is quite the common trope in other IPs as well; it has example entries from Nanoha's multiple adaptations, and even from High School DxD:
tvtrope.com wrote:
High School D X D has the protagonist Issei use this as one of his primary skill called Dress Break. spoiler[This was also one of his Awesome Moments when he applies it to Asia while she's strapped to a nuke, freeing her in the process.] Well, even without this ability, it happens all the time with the female characters.
(I spaced apart the DxD part of the title to avoid inadvertently creating this emoticon -> Anime hyper ;spoiler tag in source).
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
What I'm really looking forward for the next episode is the voice acting. spoiler[In the LN, the voice of the Emperor of Red Dragon during the Juggernaut Drive is describes as being a mix of male, female, old, young, emotionless, chanting. I really hope they make it as awesome as it sounds in the LN]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10