• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode #12 (cont.):

I wasn't so much as disliking the inclusion of the mage and the scene where Daryun becomes The Flash, but was more disappointed. Up to that point, I saw the series as an alternate history series, but having magic has altered that view (yes, I know it was in the OVA. But is a new retelling, so I had hoped that this element won't be included.). As long as the series will handle the magic angle well, I don't think I would mind in the long-run.

The other thing that bothered me, as I wrote, was when Daryun entered high-gear mode when Arslan was in danger, moving at x3 the speed. Instead of creating the feeling of emergency & duress, it was more semi-comical, semi-absurd. Those two points are what caused this episode to feel off-kilter & out-of-place compared to the episodes up to this one.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
great.. was expecting a good fight in episode 14..

episode 14 (or it is 13.5?) will be a recap episode?

honestly i don't see the point of these recap episodes..
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Most of the time recap episodes are done for the benefit of the production schedule.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Most of the time recap episodes are done for the benefit of the production schedule.

i wonder why they don't just take 1-2 week break if they needed it (more or less) like those manga series
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

i wonder why they don't just take 1-2 week break if they needed it (more or less) like those manga series

Cause they are obligated to provide something for television broadcast. They can't just tell the broadcasters that they have nothing for them to air on a given week in that 30min time slot.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
They had some issues with arslan's hair style in ep 13. He'd have his hair down and then he'd turn around and have his hair up. Whenever he has his hair down, they seem to accidentally put it up
jppcouto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
ANN's capacity to review has declined to much in last months...The episode 13 was indeed great and you give B- !!! Damn...

This was for me a nice example how Anime Studios should do episodes of action series...You have a begining of episode calm but at the same time intriging...when you reach the second half you have a intense fight that will explain some plot points, ending the episode with a clifhanger that for sure will leave the viewer to immediately ask the next episode.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he Lusitanians themselves—who unfortunately don't show up this week—prove how much the line of succession isn't everything, with the bumbling Innocentis ahead of the more competent Guiscard. The Heroic Legend of Arslan interrogates its ancient world from every angle. These ideas are nothing new to us in the post-monarchy 21st century, but they do give you more to think about than most fantasy anime.

that's still relevant nowadays, becasue evne with democracy we tend to choose the most popular person instead of choosing the one who will be the best at the job.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
I quite liked this episode, more than last week's at the very least; I'd give it a B to B+. The animation quality was decidedly lacking, however, I'll give you that. Though, I'm really not minding this structure the episodes tend to be in; I think it works just fine. A recap is unfortunate, but considering the drop in animation quality lately, maybe this will give them a chance to get their stuff together, so it might be a good thing in the long run. Here's hoping.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
This episode was bad bad bad. It consisted of:

Gieve acting incredibly OOC while looking like a mutant

Alfreed being THE WORST

Hermes showing up, monologuing long enough for me to think of at least seven ways for him to O NOES ESCAPE AGAIN, which of course he eyerollingly did

Alfreed being THE ABSOLUTE WORST, and also looking like a pink-haired mutant

Yet another "OMG CAN WE TRUST THE GUY IN THIS FORT PLACE" situation, right on the heels of the last one

Also, Alfreed. Is. The. Worst.

Anyways, hopefully they use the extra time next week's clip show buys them to put forth a better effort next time. Also, kill Alfreed immediately, as she is the worst. Seriously, send her back to the school setting she came from.
kim0419ify

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
I honestly love Arslan Senki so far, it's one of my favorite anime now! I actually have a theory about Arslan that I can't throw out of my head! What if he actually wasn't born into the royal bloodline? I mean, he does talk about that he was suddenly taken in from his normal life. Plus, almost everyone in the anime is saying how different he is to his servants than the other nobles are to theirs. Also, to me, he looks nothing like his lord father and mother, which possibly means that he's not their child?! They also alienate him, but that might just be how they normally act around him. I dunno, just a little theory of mine that I wanted to throw out there! Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
No, I definitely think the same thing. In fact, when Narsus was first introduced, I thought he looked a little like Arslan and suspected he was Arslan's father--he was thrown out of court, after all!

Now I think it's possible that Arslan was adopted, but if the queen never gave birth you'd think a kid suddenly showing up would spread some rumors, so I don't know. The show is hinting at some big secret in Arslan's lineage, we just can't be sure what it is yet.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
interesting how they can see at night like this..let alone fight..

torches? not enough for 50,000 vs 10,000

the prince is like Napolian invading Russia during the winter Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Gadevi didn't send troops to attack Rajendra. Arslan and company just put some sindhran uniforms and flags up and had the Pars soldiers shoot some arrows.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Actually, Gadevi didn't send troops to attack Rajendra. Arslan and company just put some sindhran uniforms and flags up and had the Pars soldiers shoot some arrows.

Sorry about that; that was careless of me. It's a dense show and I must have missed when they planned that. It's been fixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 17