• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
interesting how they can see at night like this..let alone fight..

torches? not enough for 50,000 vs 10,000

the prince is like Napolian invading Russia during the winter Laughing

More like a Livonian order, actually. Very Happy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_on_the_Ice
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
interesting how they can see at night like this..let alone fight..

torches? not enough for 50,000 vs 10,000

the prince is like Napolian invading Russia during the winter Laughing

More like a Livonian order, actually. Very Happy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_on_the_Ice

actually.. the enemies retreated and trapped themselves in a frozen lake.. they didn't fight on it..

i think Napolian is the closest example

1- over confidence in their numbers
2- no knowledge of the country terrain and weather
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty fed up with the complete lack of any real characterization regarding Arslan.

I've heard all about how he's a nice guy, how he cares about people, and all sorts of things like that. I've HEARD them. From Narsus, Gieve, and others. But having the interesting characters tell me why I should think Arslan is interesting IS NOT INTERESTING. Ugh.

It's about time for this show to put up or shut up when it comes to Arslan being anything other than a pale moeblob.

Also, SERIOUSLY WHAT DOES ALFREED ADD TO THE STORY AND WHY IS HER HEAD SO DEFORMED LOOKING I CAN'T EVEN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH :/

Sorry, just needed to get that out.

I don't understand the decision to make her look so unnatural when clearly a lot of care was taken to make every other character look like a realistic human being, though. It's distracting, and her character is annoying enough without being so out of place looking and poorly-drawn.

This show started off really strong, so if I'm coming off overly harsh here, it's because I'm really sad that it's gone so far downhill, or maybe that it just hasn't been the awesome show it was going to be. Dunno. It's a mystery of sadness.
animelytical

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I'm pretty fed up with the complete lack of any real characterization regarding Arslan.

I've heard all about how he's a nice guy, how he cares about people, and all sorts of things like that. I've HEARD them. From Narsus, Gieve, and others. But having the interesting characters tell me why I should think Arslan is interesting IS NOT INTERESTING. Ugh.

It's about time for this show to put up or shut up when it comes to Arslan being anything other than a pale moeblob.

Also, SERIOUSLY WHAT DOES ALFREED ADD TO THE STORY AND WHY IS HER HEAD SO DEFORMED LOOKING I CAN'T EVEN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH :/

Sorry, just needed to get that out.

I don't understand the decision to make her look so unnatural when clearly a lot of care was taken to make every other character look like a realistic human being, though. It's distracting, and her character is annoying enough without being so out of place looking and poorly-drawn.

This show started off really strong, so if I'm coming off overly harsh here, it's because I'm really sad that it's gone so far downhill, or maybe that it just hasn't been the awesome show it was going to be. Dunno. It's a mystery of sadness.

Arslan is usually just finished saying caring things a Pars royal wouldn't tend to or such when someone comments on it. They don't just randomly bring it up. Them saying it just reinforces it if you didn't catch it yourself. That's nothing to do with interesting characters telling you why Arslan is interesting. The reason Arslan is not so well liked is that being nice is just not that interesting. He has characterisation. It is definitely real characterisation. Even the way he hasn't addressed the elephant in the room serves as some characterisation. What would qualify as characterisation? A strong change in his character?

What Alfreed adds to the story is yet to be seen, but at the very least Elam sowing seeds of doubt could have been far less effective as a a lone voice from one direction. I also haven't noticed deformity
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
If being a nice person is enough to be a well-rounded character these days I don't even know how to respond. Seriously. Does he even have a secondary characteristic? Is he smart? Wise? A good tactician? A particularly bad drunk? Tells jokes at inappropriate times? Enjoys weird foods? Likes horses? Reads a lot? Has a hobby? A quirk? A defining THING? Because basically, he's NICE. And maybe his dad's not his dad, but even that is more of a circumstance, not a characteristic, and he's so bland he hasn't even reacted to any of that business at all.

Alfreed's head is oddly squished, not to mention she is the only one with anime-colored hair. It stands out in an unfortunate way.
animelytical

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Arslan is:

Softly spoken
Trusting
Open minded
Critical
Willing to learn
Humble
Self sacrificing
Appreciative
Trusting. Too trusting? Naive?
In the case of Hodir, a good judge of character?
Perceptive
Respectful
Optimistic.
Sensible
Embarrassed by the suggestion of getting married.
Friendly
Rebellious against tradition/the norm.
Determined.
Unconditionally loving.

Him not reacting to what was said in episode 13 is another thing that will reveal itself. It must be important, otherwise his two key men wouldn't be shown worrying about it and being surprised by his reaction.

I can't answer most of your questions. E.g. "Is he a bad drunk?". He doesnt seem to drink much. This may be because he's 14 and that isn't allowed in Japan, or he might not drink because he wants to stay sharp. He seems to like horses though. In fact, he seems to like animals in general. He knew the horse would simply follow Daryun and he seemingly has conversations with Azrael the hawk, that likes him more than its own master.

Her hair isn't that unusual. Her eyes however. They are certainly anime coloured. However, with this being an anime, I don't care. Also, the eventually large cast would need as many differences as possible. Her design will help her stand out. I can't comment on the squish. If it is an animation thing, I hadn't noticed. If it is a design thing, I don't see it.

EDIT: Well rounded character? I think this part of the story follows Arslan as he becomes more multifaceted as he Kearns more about himself through experience and adversity. He has characterisation, but to complain about unrealistic hair colour but demand very unrealistic character traits from a mostly sheltered 14 year old? He's nice, but there are characteristics embroiled within the word nice. I prefer that they show without necessarily telling.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
but its that naivety and pure that attracts people towards him. especially hard nose people like that strategist and his servant.

more importantly he's not like that prince from moribito where unfortunately it took like 10 eps for him to shed those privileges that came with being prince ( and personally he should have stayed with balsa in the end ). and luckily its only a growing phase so he wont be that naive for long.

as for the dub its definitely top notch. while its not a as good as other fantasy series like scrapped princess and moribito, its definitely a must see.

dont be surprised if dismuke gets a mention for end of year honors as male lead. though i am a realist & the odds of that upset happening are really low,especially compared to the dub performances for SAOII and Durarara season 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I give up. You can't bust out a thesaurus and list twenty synonyms for "nice" as separate character traits. Dude. Bro.

Agree to disagree, please. We clearly aren't going to change one another's minds, and pointless arguing is pointless.

It seems like Alfreed has pink hair for some people and not for others. It's either a TV settings issue or a "people see colors in different ways which is one of many fascinating things about biology" issue. Dunno. The head squish could be perceptual on my part based on her stupid do-rag; no way to know without a third opinion.
animelytical

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
I hope you picked up a thesaurus, and actually saw what I said as synonyms for nice, because I'm pretty sure they aren't. Though behind friendly would be part of being nice generally, but you can be nice as royalty without honestly thinking of and referring to your subjects as friends. I don't know what being perceptive has to do with being nice. Nor optimism or willingness to rebel against the nom.

If you think that those things are synonyms for nice, then I'm done.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Arslan's main unusual trait is something we take for granted in modern society--the strongly held belief that all people are equal, and his determination to abolish slavery even in the face of opposition and impracticality. He believes these things intrinsically, without a zealous religious basis like their enemy.

One example of his stance on equality is how he wants to be seen as equal to Elam, and needs to feel as practically useful as him. This is shocking to everyone around him not only due to his royal status and sheltered upbringing, but because Parsian culture doesn't promote these ideas at all. People in his world (except, Narsus, who's shown to be an extreme anomaly) take birth status for granted. Just being a "nice" kid by our modern standards is enough to make him completely unusual in his world.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Secondly, does any of this really matter? There's more plotting, more battling, but ultimately it's a diversion from the story's main drive: getting Pars back under control and Arslan's personal journey. Rajendra is a fun character, but the show hasn't given us much reason to care about this subplot specifically. F

yeah , I kidna dislike the fact you point out, in other histories I have read when there is an important goal A, but then the history divert o goal B; I usualyl enjoy that a lot as it feels like B is important enough so that A can be postponed, which makes the plot harder to predict as you know B can happen at any moment ; but in this series B just feels like a distraction; it coudl work better if narsus had had a line like " we are not strong enough to free pars, so we should make allies and help in the coup" (for example), so this feels like a necesary, if unforeseen step.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
I dunno. Seemed clear to me if they didn't involve themselves in the Sindhuran civil war they were going to be blindsided. Not really a sideshow. Again, as I've pointed out earlier, this show is in no great hurry to rush to the end. Story wise that makes for a lot of padding. In a show that mixes up the story with world building (as opposed to just pretending like Pars is all there is and minor stuff is happening off screen) it can justify itself as long as it uses the time. We might be okay to not find out about Sindhuran politics, but then again are you watching this show in the hopes this is a on the edge of your seat action adventure? It's clearly not, so
... And Arslan is pretty well developed by this point. I can't help but figure that particular criticism is nothing more than a statement of "I don't like what Arslan has developed into". Fair enough, he's not the brash young shonen leader some would hope for. But that's just personal taste. I rather enjoy him and his naivete.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Arslan's main unusual trait is something we take for granted in modern society--the strongly held belief that all people are equal, and his determination to abolish slavery even in the face of opposition and impracticality. He believes these things intrinsically, without a zealous religious basis like their enemy.

One example of his stance on equality is how he wants to be seen as equal to Elam, and needs to feel as practically useful as him. This is shocking to everyone around him not only due to his royal status and sheltered upbringing, but because Parsian culture doesn't promote these ideas at all. People in his world (except, Narsus, who's shown to be an extreme anomaly) take birth status for granted. Just being a "nice" kid by our modern standards is enough to make him completely unusual in his world.

Yup. I think that easily sets him apart how intrinsically he believes in it, it's such an usual way of thinking here let alone for someone who was in his position.

jr0904 wrote:
but its that naivety and pure that attracts people towards him. especially hard nose people like that strategist and his servant.

more importantly he's not like that prince from moribito where unfortunately it took like 10 eps for him to shed those privileges that came with being prince ( and personally he should have stayed with balsa in the end ). and luckily its only a growing phase so he wont be that naive for long.

as for the dub its definitely top notch. while its not a as good as other fantasy series like scrapped princess and moribito, its definitely a must see.

don't be surprised if dismuke gets a mention for end of year honors as male lead. though i am a realist & the odds of that upset happening are really low,especially compared to the dub performances for SAOII and Durarara season 2.

Agreed. Also, yeah, Dismuke's done a fantastic job. They have a real nice cast for this.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This brings me to the general problems with Arslan's character. While his leadership strategy has changed over time as he's faced new challenges, his personality and values are very static. Arslan is less a protagonist and more a pivot point for the interesting characters as they grow and move the plot. That's not always a bad thing, but it's a problem here because we keep being told that he's changing without seeing it except in some very small ways.

That's my biggest gripe with this TV adaptation verses the OVA. By this point in the OVA he's become much more confident and assertive. The TV series is trying so hard to make him sympathetic and compassionate that he comes off as weak and neutered.

OVA Arslan at this point is ready to lead an army, TV Arslan at this point still sits atop his horse waiting to be saved.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This brings me to the general problems with Arslan's character. While his leadership strategy has changed over time as he's faced new challenges, his personality and values are very static. Arslan is less a protagonist and more a pivot point for the interesting characters as they grow and move the plot. That's not always a bad thing, but it's a problem here because we keep being told that he's changing without seeing it except in some very small ways.

Personality and values aren't just things that change easily. Those are, quite literally, what make a person themself. And to begin with, I don't think either of those things need to change. It's been very clearly established that Daryun and Narsus (and by extension everyone else in his party) are on his side precisely because of his personality and values. His leadership strategy has changed over time, and he has become more prudent, thoughtful and experienced. That is basically the definition of character development.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 17