• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Heroic Legend of Arslan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jppcouto

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Farangis's design resembles Lust from that series, but her personality is more like Riza Hawkeye's or Lan Fan's.

I don't see similarities between Lust and Farangis: http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Lust/Gallery

Really ANN, stop saying nonsense. The character design from Arslan Senki doesn't look like FMA's. You are just confusing with the art style.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with this episode (8) was that the battle felt like such a stretch. That Narsus' plan worked so well, without any real hiccups, seemed like kind of a cop-out, honestly. I had to suspend my disbelief a lot more than I felt comfortable doing, considering how grounded the series has been otherwise.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
My biggest problem with this episode (8) was that the battle felt like such a stretch. That Narsus' plan worked so well, without any real hiccups, seemed like kind of a cop-out, honestly. I had to suspend my disbelief a lot more than I felt comfortable doing, considering how grounded the series has been otherwise.

I agree with you, I thought it was the adaptation then I watched that part from Arslan Senki OVA and for my surprise it happened almost in the same way.

Still...it's for now the best show of 2015.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

I agree with you, I thought it was the adaptation then I watched that part from Arslan Senki OVA and for my surprise it happened almost in the same way.

Still...it's for now the best show of 2015.

Eh... Definitely top tier, but I still think Kekkai Sensen from this season and Death Parade from the Winter are better. To each their own. I think it's been a pretty darn good year so far for anime, better than 2014 was at this point, so that it's second best in the season is saying something. Then again, the show's not even half over, so we'll see how it ends up.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
At this point I agree the FMA comparisons are not as important. In the beginning I had an issue with the similarities of the art style but it`s far enough in to not worry about those things. Farangis is not borrowing character from previous Arakawa characters as much as the original authors version of her. I am glad that the outfit while outlandish is not being played up.

This fight was improved upon over the OVAs and the whole point of it is to show that the men Kharlan had with him had no real desire to see things through. They`ve been behaving worse and worse to their own people which makes loyalties low, and in the darkness can`t determine what all is going on. Morale is a huge factor and outside of there not being arrows shot at Arslan it was done pretty well. The danger of the fight was the fact that the soldiers could reach Arslan. From the battle of Atropatene you should know that their fear of Daryun is kind of justified.

The series needs to progress much further before having a stab at being the top of a year. And the Game of thrones references are getting more awkward as the series continues to show that Arslan isn`t carrying all of that ill will into his actions. He wants things to work out for everyone which is something that series only uses as an initial facade to be lost to the truth of the horrors of war.

Not really upset with Rose`s reviews of the series as she sees things a lot different than I would expect and it`s interesting. Just feel she is relying too heavily on comparisons to things that really are not fitting comparisons for the show. The links on Mithras`s many incarnations were a good addition of course. Obviously this is focusing on his Iranian version. I wouldn`t look to Mithraism as a drawing point from where Farangis comes from. Outside of Lusitania we`re looking at a polytheistic world where theism has any sway. The story to a large extent avoids bringing too much religion in.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm new to this remake of Arslan (I have the old OVAs, which ended too abruptly). When FUNi gets around to dubbing it if they haven't already announced a cast, they should get the Manga UK dub cast to reprise their roles AND consistently romanize the names unlike the way both the original Japanese licensors of the OVAs and CPM did (to be fair, it wasn't CPM's ida). Manga UK's dub of the first four episodes just worked. It fits our Hollywood-born expectation of ancient civilizations speaking with British accents, however unrealistic that is.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Sadly the awkward change in the second OVA was a company requirement. Whether they can reprise the roles of the first half of the OVA which is one of the best dubs I`ve heard (tend to not go for dubs) is highly determined by how much influence the Japanese company takes in their dub work.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
They're romanizing the name as Hermes?

This guy's name in the novel is Hi-ru-me-su (ヒルメス). It has a large number of possible romanizations, but I don't see how they can get Hermes out of it.

Hermes in Japanese is written as either He-ru-me-su (ヘルメス) or E-ru-me-su (エルメス -- the spelling most infamously mis-romanized as "Elmeth" in Mobile Suit Gundam).
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Didn`t the OVA`s pick the same name or was his name not revealed before the change? Hermes was most likely picked for it`s ease for an English speaking audience.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Ok, so, is it just me, or was the animation in episode 9 absolute garbage?
jppcouto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
Ok, so, is it just me, or was the animation in episode 9 absolute garbage?

No, it isn't just you... for a 2015 show that gonna have probably 24 episodes, the animation of the current episode looks horrible.

This series is really great, but ANN can't give always A grade for almost all episodes. I mean even looking interesting with all that cool plot, episode 9 looks so DERP. The only thing that saves the visual of that episode is the last part (few minutes) where happens an awesome fight.

Last edited by jppcouto on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the preview, we head into book 2 material next week (I'm trying to read ahead of the show). Biggest difference in the adaptation so far is Etoile, who spoiler[still hasn't been introduced as of the midpoint of the second novel. All scenes with this character are either anime-original or future "flashbacks" placed chronologically where they should/could happen. No idea which.].
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Deleted for trolling. ~nobahn
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Once again, a very good episode. Exciting, plot moving, and further expands the narrative, themes and characters without feeling bloated or overwrought. Considering that the show is steadily getting better, I think this might turn into my AOS.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
jppcouto wrote:
Recently, the reviewers of ANN are almost girls...and I don't want be a jerk for saying that but the old male reviewers were better.
It's not that they're women, it's that some of them try to review anime under the lens of feminism when there is next to no reason under the sun to use an ideology that is so far-removed from the world of anime.

You might as well try to review anime under a Marxist perspective. Or maybe even a Christian one! If anyone did that they would be laughed out of ANN, but no, feminism gets a special exemption.

Funny, there's not a single mention of feminism in this review at all!

So that means this is both off-topic and needlessly personal. This is where this line of conversation stops. Period.

Side note, we have several new male reviewers right alongside the couple women, (it was actually completely 50/50 when we brought people on, but two of the new men left within a couple months.) So it's interesting that you choose to mention the gender of new reviewers as if it's some contributing factor to reviews not being as good. By interesting, I mean awful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 17