• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: David Wald Joins Super Sonico English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
For a show nobody cares about, they're sure stringing out the dub cast announcement.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
For a show nobody cares about...

Not sure where you got that from, but last time I heard, there are plenty of folks out there that are excited to watch Super Sonico.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Nigri only sounds as awful as most female characters in Sentai dubs. Terrible, but not as horrific as it sounds on paper.

Wald sounds okay I guess but if the 'Bow Chika Bow' from the last clip and the 'Say whaaaaaaat!?' from this clip are a reflection of the direction the rest of the dub takes I am not going to have a good time.

Normally judging a dub based on short clips isn't my thing but putting faith in Sentai has only led to disappointment after disappointment for me. I might be coming off as overly toxic when I voice my opinion on them, but the main reason I dislike Sentai is simply because I respect the hard work that goes into making a good English dub. And I don't feel they provide that.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanRootBeerDubber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
David Wald is sure doing justice for Mr. Kitamura.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Overall, this seems like what I wanted for Sonny Strait to do as Koro Sensei in AC. Stick to one specific emotion at all times when not required to go over the top.

But I do wish David was more over the top in the end. But it fits his design overall and going farther would just be my exclusive vision.

And once again, I'm suprised with Nigri. Her first clip sounded like Alexis Tipton but alot younger. But here it expresses her more softer side when with her manager, its like a Emily Neves/Brina Palencia. But put togethor.

Guess Monica's clip will be next before Sonico gets the last laugh.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
but if the 'Bow Chika Bow' from the last clip and the 'Say whaaaaaaat!?' from this clip are a reflection of the direction the rest of the dub takes I am not going to have a good time.

No shit, really? Its like you don't want the writers to have a good time in this while fitting the shows sense of humor. You can't shove a poetic oscar barfing mess in every title when the content itself doesn't rely on that. You know? Just like a certain christian movie studio owned anime licensing company used to realize back in 2010-12

Quote:
but the main reason I dislike Sentai is simply because I respect the hard work that goes into making a good English dub. And I don't feel they provide that.

Oh sure, sure. Guess D-Frag and Machine Doll deserved ALL the work it needed. Oh, but its about FEELING. I FEEEEEEL that with versatile improvements after 2013, Sentai is still the better company. And even for a crappy mess like Sonico, they still get a smirk on my cold hearted face while doing something new for themselves while being flamed for what even fans in the past experienced from studios YET bait an entire community Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

For a show nobody cares about, they're sure stringing out the dub cast announcement.

That's probably why they need to do that.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

pretty sure this show was popular when it was still running
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I edited out the last comment in your post SquadmemberRitsu because there was no need for the bait comment. The reason you come off as overly toxic, as you put it, in regards to Sentai is because you take every chance possible to soapbox against them. We all get it, you don't like them and their dubs. That's fine by the way. Nobody has to like them or their dubs. I don't always like them myself. But bringing it up in almost every single thread related to a Sentai dub announcement, cast announcement, or other thread somehow related to a Sentai Dub is just tedious at this point and soapboxing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
That mask reminds me of the hannya mask Miya of Sekirei uses.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
That mask reminds me of the hannya mask Miya of Sekirei uses.

Also Hannya from Kenshin mixed with SweetTooth from Twisted Metal, yes?
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:36 am Reply with quote
David Wald is a masterful voice actor.

I especially love his work as Gajeel.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
David is definitely a top tier actor his Sigmund in Machine Doll stole the show for me and he is very good here too.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Psycho, I am allowed to voice my opinion. I'm not just saying generic bait comments to stir people up, I'm specifically talking about the article in question and giving what I consider to be constructive criticism of the company's practices. As long as Sentai continue to make the same mistakes, I will continue to voice my frustrations.

I honestly don't care whether or not people agree with what I'm saying or whether what I'm saying will change someone's mind but it is my opinion and it is relevant to the topic. If you've got any criticisms about the actual content of what I'm saying, feel free to voice them. But as it stands I don't think you fully understand where I'm coming from or why I feel the way I do.

bs3311 wrote:
Overall, this seems like what I wanted for Sonny Strait to do as Koro Sensei in AC. Stick to one specific emotion at all times when not required to go over the top.
I don't think that approach would work very well with the whole black comedy vibe the show has. Koro as a character is made to be intentionally goofy and over the top in contrast to his horrific desires.

Quote:
No shit, really? Its like you don't want the writers to have a good time in this while fitting the shows sense of humor. You can't shove a poetic oscar barfing mess in every title when the content itself doesn't rely on that.
I'm assuming the mod is just going to ignore the condescending and downright insulting tone that you've taken on so I'll just ignore it too.

I know made that 'Colloquialism' joke in that other thread but generally I'm fine with liberal dubs as long as there's some sort of purpose to doing it that way or the changes add something to the series. My problem with this dub in particular is that I find the additions to be very obnoxious and not very funny.

Usually I don't feel I need to do this, but in light of the circumstances I think I should emphasise that you're well within your rights to disagree with me. That being said, I don't intend to insult you or anyone else who enjoys their work so I'd appreciate it if you were a bit less aggressive in your responses.

Quote:
Quote:
but the main reason I dislike Sentai is simply because I respect the hard work that goes into making a good English dub. And I don't feel they provide that.

Oh sure, sure. Guess D-Frag and Machine Doll deserved ALL the work it needed. Oh, but its about FEELING. I FEEEEEEL that with versatile improvements after 2013, Sentai is still the better company. And even for a crappy mess like Sonico, they still get a smirk on my cold hearted face while doing something new for themselves while being flamed for what even fans in the past experienced from studios YET bait an entire community Laughing
Okay, now THIS looks like a bait comment to me.

First off, I've never seen those shows or their dubs so I don't see the relevance and it's not related to the topic so I don't see why you even brought them up. Second, I get that you don't agree with me but I have nothing against you personally on the count of the fact that... well, I don't even know who you are and the same goes for you to me. So I don't see why you feel the need to provoke me.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
I have no interest in Sonico, but when I hear him all I can picture is Reiji Sakamaki..
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
I don't have interest in this show but David Wald is top notch. Where's Phi Brain season 3 already? They released the first two seasons fast but its like they have no interest in the show anymore. Which is a shame because its one of the few starring roles for David Wald. Also shows his versatility, voicing a teen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2