• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: David Wald Joins Super Sonico English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ani12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Having just heard two of the English voices in this video, I think they sound good(Sonico actually sounds exactly like I thought she would, and this is from someone who has heard her Japanese VA a lot thanks to playing Super Heroine Chronicle).
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Nigri only sounds as awful as most female characters in Sentai dubs. Terrible, but not as horrific as it sounds on paper.

Normally judging a dub based on short clips isn't my thing but [generic Sentai soapboxing].

Wrong! Hilary Haag, Shelley Celene-Black, Meg McDonald, Caitlynn French. Dallas probably wishes they could get those actresses instead of some their actresses that sound the same. I tend to enjoy Brittney Karbowski, Monica Rial and Greg Ayres in Houston dubs more.

As for Nigri voicing Sonico, this is Sentai returning to the form that ADV had in generating controversy, which gathered attention and then sales. Multiple people who saw the Chuunibyou dub said that it was much better than the dub clips had lead them to believe, so this could be another case of that. But Luci Christian and David Wald are both very good at what they do, so I'll trust in their capablities.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

Just go all out in machine doll and make the protagonist and english pervert who gets a boner off seeing his doll.

Raishin in Japanese, so it wouldn't make any sense to given him an English accent
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

Raishin in Japanese, so it wouldn't make any sense to given him an English accent

We're judging on humor, remember? I could just write up that his mum was a fish smacking english women that smacked the Japanese out of him. Which also is a reason he looks the same as everyone else
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

We're judging on humor, remember?

it's hard following your train of thought, so the answer for me is no. I'm not even sure the the rest of what you wrote in response to me makes any damn sense outside of your head

Honestly, It looks like you're complaining that Bevins and Bonny Clinkenbeard didn't make Raishin into something he isn't. something i fail to comprehend when you make it clear just how upset doing something like that makes you
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

i fail to comprehend when you make it clear just how upset doing something like that makes you

I say make it different, or stay faithful. Machine doll is different while pretending to be faithful, thats what I hate. Just like D frag, Bento, maria, etc.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
For people say that there is no one that would such a dub of whatever show, try going to con where you can dozens of watchers at a screening room.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
For people say that there is no one that would such a dub of whatever show, try going to con where you can dozens of watchers at a screening room.

True but most convention goers won't buy much anime so how many of those viewers can you turn into paying consumers?

I know when I watched a 18+ dub premiere of an ecchi anime though, there was probably only 100 people there, and more than half left after 1 or 2 episodes. Of course it was 10 p.m when it started, but there is that too.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Psycho, I am allowed to voice my opinion. I'm not just saying generic bait comments to stir people up, I'm specifically talking about the article in question and giving what I consider to be constructive criticism of the company's practices. As long as Sentai continue to make the same mistakes, I will continue to voice my frustrations.

I honestly don't care whether or not people agree with what I'm saying or whether what I'm saying will change someone's mind but it is my opinion and it is relevant to the topic. If you've got any criticisms about the actual content of what I'm saying, feel free to voice them. But as it stands I don't think you fully understand where I'm coming from or why I feel the way I do.

You are allowed to voice your opinion up until you violate the rules. You're allowed to voice it provided you remain civil and avoid soapboxing. Constantly harping on Sentai's dubs in every thread possible is soapboxing. Especially when in many that is the only contribution you provide to that thread's discussion. There is a difference between actually going into details, whether they are accurate or not, regarding WHY you don't like a certain dub and simply saying along the lines of "here's another crap dub" or "way to go Sentai, another POS dub with the same hacks." You often provide the latter, which goes right into that be civil and no soapboxing thing again, and not the former which would be allowed. You've skated on this issue for a long time now.

Whether or not you're trying to stir people up or not bait comments are simply not allowed. They do nothing to help a thread's discussion. That whole be civil thing again. Whether or not you care if people agree with you, or whether or not they, or I, "get you" is also irrelevant to being civil (I think I made my point on that by now). So my suggestion to you is if you want to keep voicing your opinion without winding up on moderation you should do so civilly. It's right there in the rules at the top so how about we please follow that.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I'm assuming the mod is just going to ignore the condescending and downright insulting tone that you've taken on so I'll just ignore it too.

You'd be assuming wrong. They've already been talked to about their behavior. So how about you both just calm down at this point, avoid responding to each other to avoid further hostilities please. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2