• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 EDs of 2004

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
I'm hearing what you mean about Steve Conte's voice on this song. His singing style reminds me a little of one of the members of dc Talk, Kevin Max. Actually that whole song sounds like it could be a Kevin Max song to me now. (Oh man if I get flashbacks to middle school and high school every time I hear one of his songs because of this I'M BLAMING YOU, HOPE. I'M BLAMING YOU.)

Also I caught that reference in the description of Paranoia Agent's ED. Take a rest! Take a rest. Take a rest. Take a rest. Take a rest...
justsomeaccount wrote:
Paranoia Agent (if it's a question mark, who is the final point--?! ohh~)

Oh, crap. spoiler[Shounen Bat/Lil' Slugger is even standing in a green field in the end of the OP. I never even thought about it, but he's probably just behind the camera LAUGHING MADLY the whole time the ED goes on. Oh man. Now I'm creeped out.]

Good call on Gankutsuou's ED, too. I reeeeally don't like the OP for that show, but that ED has gotten firmly stuck in my head ever since I saw it yeaaaars ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

"Life is Like a Boat" & "Thank You!!" from Bleach

The 2nd ED by HOME MADE KAZOKU is essentially the resolution of the first ED, showcasing the leads (& especially Rukia) accepting each others friendship, & thanking each other for it. While not the absolute best HMK song, it's definitely one of them. I can understand that neither of these aren't in Hope's list, though, since she already did a list dedicated solely to Bleach EDs.

This song was from 2005, sorry ^^;

Anyway, this was sort of a pivotal year for anime music where shows started to get more high quality bands to perform themes. Sooo here are my choices:

10. BRAND NEW WORLD by V6 (Inuyasha ED8)
Kind of poetic the final ending is done by the band who did the first opening to the show, but I like BRAND NEW WORLD. Mostly because it does give a great vibe of unity. It's positive and uplifting.

9. Tobira no Mukou e by YELLOW GENERATION (FMA ED2)
I am not a huge fan of the original FMA endings looking back, but if there is one I liked the most was the second one. Mostly because I love the voices of YG.

8. Mirai Koukai by Tackey and Tsubasa (ONE PIECE)
A very warm song, and frankly up until the point of Fairy Tail, I thought this was better than both their openings before. Very mellow and different than their usual style, which is why I love it.

7. STEP by Beni Arashiro (Major ED1)
Honestly, if we judge this song by the full version, it wouldn't be here, but the TV cut is really good and Beni does carry the song well with her energy. I also think it's much better than her performance in Eyeshield 21.

6. Shiro no Jumon by DOA (Saiyoku Gunlock)
Usually artists from GIZA do CONAN themes, and they are usually female, which is why DOA are so unique since we... there is a male lead singer. While it's a quiet song, it has a faster than usual tempo and a memorable beat to it that I like a lot.

5. Sora Kakeagaru by Raico (Omnyou Taisenki ED1)
THAT SONG. The band did the 4th Naruto ending beforehand and while that song is ok, this is much better. This is probably one of the rare cases in which I like the fast rapping parts more than I do the singing. Mostly because it fits the shounen nature of the show. I will say the full version is better than the TV cut.

4. pureness by Nana Kitade (Beet ED1)
I never liked Nana Kitade beforehand. I am one of the few people who dislikes Kesenai Tsumi, but there is something very edgy about this song. While it is darker than her last song, it's not to the point it's a turn off, it is just very gloomy in tone. The guitars work well here too!

3. Kokoro Oduru by nobodyknows+ (SD Gundam Force)
MAYBE it has to do with the fact the song is in OUENDAN, the 3DS game from Japan, but in general it has a great beat and is VERY catchy. Extra points for the guy who sounds like Cookie Monster actually saying "COOKIE".

2. GLORY DAYS ~Kagayaku no Hi~ by GARDEN (Pokemon Advanced ED4)
I think the theme of this list in general is calmness. This is what I get from this song. The band did a phenomenal job with this song.

1. SUNDAY by The Babystars
It's one of my all time favorite anime songs. It's almost perfect in every single way that I have no way to criticize it.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
The same thing happened with [Monster's run on] the Sci-fi Channel run here in the States with it only being instrumental.

Yeah, I didn't even know there was a voice in that ED because of that. I'm curious to find out how JO found the version of the ED with the sung lyrics.

BTW, I was wondering where Gankutsuou would be on JO's ED list, and I'm kinda glad it made #1. It's one of the few EDs that I like better than its corresponding OP.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
BladeBlur wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

"Life is Like a Boat" & "Thank You!!" from Bleach

The 2nd ED by HOME MADE KAZOKU is essentially the resolution of the first ED, showcasing the leads (& especially Rukia) accepting each others friendship, & thanking each other for it. While not the absolute best HMK song, it's definitely one of them. I can understand that neither of these aren't in Hope's list, though, since she already did a list dedicated solely to Bleach EDs.

This song was from 2005, sorry ^^;

Well, in my defense, Hope did put "(First 2 EDs)" on the poll entry for Bleach. Anyway, the choice still stands with just the 1st ED.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes, good, that is basically the only right answer for number 1. Largely because of the way the episode endings would segue into that song, honestly, but just. Yes. I love that damn song so much. Also this has made me want to go rewatch Gankutsuou.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
varmintx wrote:
The same thing happened with [Monster's run on] the Sci-fi Channel run here in the States with it only being instrumental.

Yeah, I didn't even know there was a voice in that ED because of that. I'm curious to find out how JO found the version of the ED with the sung lyrics.

Well, certainly not from watching fansubs when it was airing. Twisted Evil

(Or just from listening to the Monster OST.)
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Hope, I *L*O*V*E* this feature.

For one thing, it's great to relive these old OPs and EDs. For another, as I am basically a music illiterate, I find your descriptions of the music tremendously illuminating. The pleasure of listening to the music and watching the visuals is greatly deepened by your analysis of the music and the imagery.

Thanks!

(I only wish you'd consider, maybe, a top 20...)
Maokun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Ahh... Shiki no Uta. What a melancholic song, even with its catchy, upbeat rhythm. Hearing it transported me all the way back...and then I realised it has been 11 years. Suddenly the song was perfect for the nostalgic mood of contemplating my own long-gone years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3