• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sound! Euphonium

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
I would equate this more to K-On than Hyouka, simply because the main casts are essentially like the main casts from K-On, girly and moe to the point of abnormality. Whereas Hyouka actually had some male characters to spice things up.

Mmm, I disagree. I don't think the cast of Sound! Euphonium is "moe to the point of abnormality." The large majority of the cast feels like they could've been girls I knew when I was growing up. Maybe slightly exaggerated, but most fictional characters are. When you compare them, to, say, the cast of Clannad, or even the main girl in KnK, the difference is pretty striking. The characters are more than just a handful of cute quirks, they already are starting to feel like well-realized people, and I suspect that'll continue as the series goes on.

So you are saying that they are fictional characters and some of them are slightly exaggerated. How does that not make the characters feel abnormal? They may not compare to some of the extreme personalities in Clannad, but they are certainly out there. The only part of the show that actually feels real is Kumiko, and her childhood friend Aoi. The rest of the cast feels like they are there to provide comedy, which they certainly do.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Hmm...no. This doesn't track. I'm pretty sure "Euphonium" is just a made up word like Adamantium or Edutainment. It's not a real instrument. The instruments are: Trumpet, Flute, Saxophone, Tuba, Big Saxophone, Flatish Round Trumpet, and Drum. This is all the instruments. This show is a lie.

Excuse you. I'm not a musical person, and even I know how to use google. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphonium

Yeah, like Wikipedia isn't in the pocket of Big Band. Gimme a break.

Although I must admit, I now notice my list was actually somewhat incomplete. I forgot about the Trombone (duh) and the Anti-Flute as well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
I hope they get into some serious music playing and less moping about past failures that will surely inform the entire rest of the series with unneeded drama. Anyway, still glad that we get a music show that's not exclusively about piano, violin, or guitar Think of all the past musical anime and those will be the only instruments.
Takigan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
brightchen97 wrote:

AND THE WAY they designed and incorporated the instruments into the frames are also stunning...I wonder how they managed to achieve the look of that golden brass shine, while still animating it, as you can see time and time again during the OP...perhaps its the orchestral nut in me that's flipping with excitement over this....

As someone whose degree and career is based in band instruction, the instrument animations were something I was extraordinarily impressed with. The level of detail and research that the artists undertook in the production demands admiration. The Trombone in episode 2 is virtually an exact replica of the Yamaha Xeno YSL-882.

[/img]

The foley work is impressive as well. When Hazuki puts the Tuba mouthpiece into "Tuba-kun" the sound effect of the metal scraping sounds exactly and distinctively like what putting the mouthpiece in the actual horn sounds like for real.

Really looking forward to seeing more of this.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
@Takigan
It was mentioned elsewhere that Yamaha is involved with the production committee of this show. If that is correct it might explain both the accuracy of the depiction of the instruments and why they didn't need to change "Yamaha" in the animation.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Takigan
It was mentioned elsewhere that Yamaha is involved with the production committee of this show. If that is correct it might explain both the accuracy of the depiction of the instruments and why they didn't need to change "Yamaha" in the animation.

No, the production committtee for this show is:
Kyoto Animation
Pony Canyon
Lantis
Rakuonsha

Yamaha is credited as Instrument-related Cooperation, meaning they likely provided example instruments for reference which would allow the production to keep their name on the instrument.

Additional "Cooperation" credits are for the Kyoto Visual Imagery Promotion organization, the town of Uji's sightseeing division, the Kyoto concert band alliance, the Japanese concert band alliance, the Kyoto Cultural Museum, the Keihan railway, the Kyoto concert hall, and East Uji High School's concert band.

Somehow none of those get thought of from people who can't read the credits as "financing the production" yet Yamaha does. Maybe the "no speculation" rule needs to be more firmly enforced to prevent situations like this.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the correction. This isn't speculation, just misinformation. At any rate, Yamaha was involved.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Mmm, I disagree. I don't think the cast of Sound! Euphonium is "moe to the point of abnormality." The large majority of the cast feels like they could've been girls I knew when I was growing up. Maybe slightly exaggerated, but most fictional characters are. When you compare them, to, say, the cast of Clannad, or even the main girl in KnK, the difference is pretty striking. The characters are more than just a handful of cute quirks, they already are starting to feel like well-realized people, and I suspect that'll continue as the series goes on.

So you are saying that they are fictional characters and some of them are slightly exaggerated. How does that not make the characters feel abnormal? They may not compare to some of the extreme personalities in Clannad, but they are certainly out there. The only part of the show that actually feels real is Kumiko, and her childhood friend Aoi. The rest of the cast feels like they are there to provide comedy, which they certainly do.

They're not abnormal if pretty much all fictional characters I like that. You can never have a fictional character that's truly as complex as a true human being because fiction just doesn't have the time for that. That's why even movies and things based on real people will exaggerate things or change the story to make it have "better" dramatic beats.

I just really don't see how you think the characters are so out there. The only character in the show that I can't think of someone I've known in real life that's similar is Sapphire/Midori, honestly. I've definitely known the quiet and serious, determined people like Kumiko's friend in middle school, I've known overly enthusiastic and weird obsessive nerds like Asuka (the vice president), I've had teachers just like the band adviser, I definitely knew girls as a kid that were way too loud and hyper like the tuba girl. They're not just moe stereotypes to me, particularly since there's no indication in the show so far that the characters are going to be reduced to one or two traits (the clumsy shy one, the tsundere, etc) like a lot of more trope-y anime are. There's already signs that there's a bit more to all of the characters than that, at least to me personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Daaamn, that club advisor is brutal. But he's right though: if they can't even play a beginner's piece together, then there's no point in introducing them to more complex pieces, let alone for the sake of participating in a festival where they'd probably give a mediocre performance. And even if they felt they were "forced" to make a choice, they still chose to aim for the nationals, and if they are not willing to see it through, then they are clearly wasting the teacher's time, and most importantly, their own time, as Nick said.

For me, one of the hightlights of this episode was when Kumiko went to choose her euphonium. In episode 2, she expressed that she wanted to choose her own instrument, as she euphonium was pushed onto her, so she feels dissatisfied with having to play the same instrument yet again.

But the scene where she sees the euphonium, and how her smile was reflected on the surface... it was just perfect. She didn't say anything, but it became clear to my eyes that, despite everything she said on episode 2, she's still fond of the euph., and probably still enjoys playing it.

Man, this show really made me want to play my flute for a change... it's been a while since I played... in fact, I think I'm going to do so right now.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:

For me, one of the hightlights of this episode was when Kumiko went to choose her euphonium. In episode 2, she expressed that she wanted to choose her own instrument, as she euphonium was pushed onto her, so she feels dissatisfied with having to play the same instrument yet again.

But the scene where she sees the euphonium, and how her smile was reflected on the surface... it was just perfect. She didn't say anything, but it became clear to my eyes that, despite everything she said on episode 2, she's still fond of the euph., and probably still enjoys playing it.

I liked that scene a lot too. It paints a very good picture of Kumiko just from that look alone and it lends a lot of context to a lot of the later scenes.

For as much as Nick read into the scenes as Kumiko being swept up in other people's flow I can't help but disagree because of the very subtle characterizations, such as the scene with the Euph. Other things like the way she looked when she was told not to play at home, and when she saw everyone goofing off it gave a very subtle sense of frustration and disappointment. As much as she acts like she doesn't care you can see on her face that she really does, a lot.
We never explicitly see her being dragged away for the circular breathing exercise. I read it as Kumiko wanting to start over from scratch, it's easy to forget the basics and since she never had any intention of continuing originally it makes sense she would want to redo the basics just to psyche herself back up.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, the advisor could been even worse like him throwing chairs at them or something. Laughing

I am loving how the dramatic foundations are being built up without being overblown; it feels rather natural. I'd imagine once the band starts taking this seriously, we will be treated with a lavish performance with gorgeous animation to boot.

One thing is for sure; this show is not K-ON! 2.0 with a different set of instruments.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
One thing we should notice is that Kumiko was happy Kousaka talked to her, even if it was something small as "Take that desk", maybe this is linked to when Kousaka outbursts in frustration and Kumiko understands what she means, and probably is what determines her to step it up. And on this regard, if I recall correctly, Kousaka changed instruments, right? Maybe there is something in there, Kumiko wanted to change the euph, and would have if she really wanted, and Kousaka actually changed hers, just saying.

On another important note, Asuka is best character by far.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
One thing we should notice is that Kumiko was happy Kousaka talked to her, even if it was something small as "Take that desk", maybe this is linked to when Kousaka outbursts in frustration and Kumiko understands what she means, and probably is what determines her to step it up. And on this regard, if I recall correctly, Kousaka changed instruments, right? Maybe there is something in there, Kumiko wanted to change the euph, and would have if she really wanted, and Kousaka actually changed hers, just saying.

On another important note, Asuka is best character by far.

Reina Kousaka played the trumpet in middle school much like she is doing in this series. We observed in episode 2 that she was talented playing it during her audition to play it here and that takes a lot of practice to achieve such level of performance.
CapNatsukiSan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Let's just say that I'm feeling sorry for Riyogaa...a certain Youtuber who failed to enjoy everything that's on my favourites list...from Clannad to Disappearance...you name it...I distinctively remember hearing him say in a dismissive tone 'hey, another...KyoAni Moe show...I'm not going to watch that, not sure if its gonna be K-on 2.0 but I'm skipping that.' Not sure why I mentioned him...maybe its because its most memorable in my mind right now.

Anyway, I'm glad I looked past all pre-show scepticism and continued watching...what I get is constant visual perfection, and now, drama I can relate to, and well executed from the framing to the subtly brutal dialogue.
Ergo Proxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Have to disagree strongly with the reviewer. This week's episode was the show's strongest one yet. The teacher is great
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15