• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
I swear, week after week, I'm laughing harder than I should after reading the preview captions. And thank you, Gina Szanboti:,I'll never look Yakumo again without thinking of Katsura's phlegm.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
^ All part of our friendly service. Smile It's funny, I just had a similar experience this week with going from Rakugo to Ishida as Pad-kun in Classicaloid, rabidly cussing out a bird that just shit on him. The man is really showing off his range this season!

Episode 324

This was just awesome. What a great courtship story. "Let's go get some coffee." Leave it to Gintama to throw in erection and ball-crushing jokes in the midst of it all. And still, if Gintama employed a laugh track, it would have remained silent throughout those jokes, not because they weren't humorous, but because they just flowed so naturally from the narrative. Smile I don't know any other series that could pull that off (npi).
jtron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know who Kouka's voice actor is?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
Encyclopedia sez it's Rie Kugimiya.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
"If you don't mind, why don't we forget about this Orochi and go take out the Orochi in my pants." -- Is definitely one of my favorite lines from this series.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
jtron wrote:
Does anyone know who Kouka's voice actor is?

I was wondering that too because she sounded suspiciously like the adult Kagura in the movie -- Pretty sure it was Rie Kugimiya's name for Kouka in the ending credits (Keeping in mind my low kanji skills -- also double checked with the Gintama wiki)
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I loved episode 324, this is what I've been waiting for! I read some manga summary spoilers, so I knew somewhat what to expect, but it still surprised me. Umibouzo was hot when he was younger (!), but he was so, so bad at pick-up lines, lol! Along with "the orochi in my pants" clunker (he deserved to be hit for that one!) there was "can we get some coffee?" Yeah, great idea! Just take her to the nearest Abandoned Planet Starbucks! Smile
The whole episode portrayed their courtship as a sweet, ultimately tragic love story...it was very well done.
Some observations & Questions:
--Did Umibouzo get an erection during his fight with Utsuro??? That was weird!
--Is Mutsu a Yato? Is Utsuro? I think they implied it, but I'm not sure.
--Too bad Kamui takes after his mom, down to his smaller, more delicate frame--his dad was hotter in his younger days.
--So Kamui's basically a spurned emo Mamma's Boy who blames his Daddy for killing his Mommy. His character takes on a whole new dimension with this revelation, and gives me lots of hope that their family issues can be resolved in the end--he just has to get it through his head that leaving Kouan was his mother's choice. His father provided the impetus for it, but she didn't tell him straight out about the danger to her life, so he honestly didn't know. I got the impression that Kanko/Umibouzo would have stayed with her on Kouan had he known, which might have shortened his life instead.
--I love Kagura, she's been my favorite character since I started watching Gintama years ago. I never thought of her as having less issues than the others (especially since the show made it clear that her brother was allied with the villains). If anything, it's poor, boring Shinpachi who's had the least angst, issues, family baggage and character development. I'd love it if Shinpachi's background was more interesting (his family ran an important kendo dojo, where was his father/parents during the war with the Amanto? How did they die?). But as the glasses gag tells us, he's just there to be the comedic straight man most of the time. I feel like even Sadaharu has had more character focus than Shinpachi!
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
@Agent355

1. Yes he did. Just like he explained, it was an instict telling him that he is about to die, so he needs to "make some babies" so he can leave something behind. This is actually an instict which is real, but of course not that exaggerated.

2.Have u skipped some arcs ? Because it has been already confirmed a while ago that Mutsu is a Yato. Utsuro isn't.
Midaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This week episode was A+ to me.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
TheRahi00 wrote:
@Agent355

1. Yes he did. Just like he explained, it was an instict telling him that he is about to die, so he needs to "make some babies" so he can leave something behind. This is actually an instict which is real, but of course not that exaggerated.

It is a real instinct, but it's strange for it to happen during an intense fight, where the blood rush & adrenaline should be focused on the fight and not procreation. I loved his line, though: "I already planted my *best seeds* a long time ago!"

Quote:
2.Have u skipped some arcs ? Because it has been already confirmed a while ago that Mutsu is a Yato. Utsuro isn't.

Embarassed Yeah, I skipped a couple of arcs...

Ep 325: Kamui is even more of an emo Momma's Boy than I thought! Just look at his face when Kouka is dressing the wounds on his back. Poor baby. Sad Little Kamui and Kagura were adorable. Too bad Umibozu left them alone for such long periods of time. Some quality, hands on parenting, and maybe school?, could have prevented Kamui's downward spiral.
I have mixed feelings about Gin beating up Kamui. This is Kagura's fight, and Gin shouldn't get everything just because he's the protagonist. I hope it's Kagura's and Umibozo's words and actions that eventually convince Kamui to change sides.

Also Shinpachi...should probably be taking cover somewhere. Kamui could snap him like a twig.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
this week's installment contains a grand total of zero laughs.

I did catch one laugh (chuckle) (though it was hidden very well by some awesome BGM,

"His limiter came off"
I mean, that might not be meant as a joke and just is what it is, but it reminded me of... you know... every other shounen where there is literally a limiter of sorts. Recently I was re-watching Saiyuki, so I immediately thought of Goku.

Anyway, loved this episode. I'd been waiting to see this get animated. I kind of wanted to see Krazy Kagura again, but I think it would be a huge step back for her if she does go into beast mode after this arc. [/quote]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
With all the deaths recently I thought this fight would end in someone dying.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I am very glad with the way the anime has handled this Rakuyo arc, because the manga version of this fight in particular was incredibly long for some reason. Either Sorachi was stalling because the following arcs weren't quite wrapped up in his mind or the WSJ wanted the story to have a little one or two more volumes, who knows. I didn't really enjoy the Kamui vs Gintoki because it dragged way too long, the anime here just made it all the better for me. That being said, reading it weekly may have killed the momentum, perhaps rereading it would be in order.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Well it was nice to see Shinpachi finally come off the bench, even if he can't do much more than bleed.
Midaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well it was nice to see Shinpachi finally come off the bench, even if he can't do much more than bleed.

He saw Kamui needed help and took some action. That's what the Yorozuya do, no matter what. I guess, sometimes, one just needs a pair of glasses to prove that all fragile things can be as strong as the sight they protect. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 35