• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
^ I haven't noticed "often." But maybe referencing Asahi Brewery's "golden turd" building? The goose that laid the golden egg?

This looked like someone was living on a diet of Bubble Yum.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else find Elizabeth funny just by being there, seeing it in there uniform planting bombs alone was enough to make me laugh.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder what this anime would've been like had it been dubbed.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:

If the dub of the Benizakura movie is any indication, it wouldn't be great.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
animechic420 wrote:

You thought the movie dub was bad??? I only really seen it once, but don't remember much about it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
animechic420 wrote:

You thought the movie dub was bad??? I only really seen it once, but don't remember much about it.

I mean, it wasn't the worst dub I've ever seen, but I didn't think the voices really suited the characters, and a lot of the jokes didn't translate well. In fairness, making a series like this work in English is no mean feat.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Genos wrote:

As a side note, I really don't like this cour's OP. I think I'm alone on this one, but it feels childish to me (not that Gintama isn't a shounen anime, but normally the animation/music feels more sophisticated).[/spoiler]

I don't like it either. It's very different from all the other openings, so I guess I should give them points for trying something different, but yeah, it's pretty forwardable. My favorite is still the Donten OP that started ep 100 (or was it 102...basically during the Shinsengumi/Tosshi arc). LOVED both the song and the sequence. I never forwarded through it.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Does anyone else find Elizabeth funny just by being there, seeing it in there uniform planting bombs alone was enough to make me laugh.

YES. I loved her the moment I saw her; having a character like her and having Zura become attached to her (Zura, who HATED Amantos before she came along) was definitely a stroke of genius.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
animechic420 wrote:

I mean, it wasn't the worst dub I've ever seen, but I didn't think the voices really suited the characters, and a lot of the jokes didn't translate well. In fairness, making a series like this work in English is no mean feat.

I've heard several people mention that before, that the jokes don't translate well, but I have to disagree a little. I laugh just as much reading the manga and reading the subtitles in English. I'm almost completely Japanese illiterate so hearing the words do not help me at all, although the performance of the seiyuus do add more to the experience. Perhaps everything would be FUNNIER if I understood all the puns, but still, without that, it's funny enough for me.

I haven't heard the dubs yet, and while some American VAs are quite good, I so cannot imagine Gin-san and the gang having any other voices than their own that I don't even want to bother giving the dubs a try. There is just no way the VAs could measure up to the original seiyuus.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:
animechic420 wrote:

I've heard several people mention that before, that the jokes don't translate well, but I have to disagree a little. I laugh just as much reading the manga and reading the subtitles in English. I'm almost completely Japanese illiterate so hearing the words do not help me at all, although the performance of the seiyuus do add more to the experience. Perhaps everything would be FUNNIER if I understood all the puns, but still, without that, it's funny enough for me.

I haven't heard the dubs yet, and while some American VAs are quite good, I so cannot imagine Gin-san and the gang having any other voices than their own that I don't even want to bother giving the dubs a try. There is just no way the VAs could measure up to the original seiyuus.

I don't fully comprehend a lot of the Japanese wordplay used throughout the series either, but watching an English cast perform a pun-centric episode (like recent watermelon-splitting story) would be incredibly awkward without tremendous dialog edits. I think a lot of anime comedies are good candidates for dubs, but Gintama, with its wealth of Japanese pop culture references and puns, isn't among them IMHO. That being said, if another company tried its hand at dubbing the series, I'd give it a chance. The Benizakura dub set the bar pretty low.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
One thing people didn't mention it all is what makes Gintama great apart from comedy,serious moments,good animation is...OST. Many new secondary-characters and arcs gets new unique ost and they're all outstanding. First Gender-swaping arc, second Grim Reaper arc and now Saito Shimaru. I love his ost.

PS: Is it me or "It's Shogun!!" theme is being used alot ever since this latest Gintama season begins? It's like now become a standard ost.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Well, looks like I was wrong. If the spoiler[Shogun Assassination Arc] is beginning on December 2nd, there's no way they can fit the seven remaining humor-centric stories into the next month's worth of episodes. For reasons that are obvious to anyone who's current with the manga, adapting these stories will prove impossible once they forge ahead with the aforementioned arc. (Unless they're presented in the form of awkwardly-inserted Naruto Shippuuden-style flashbacks.) While the Gintama anime has always adapted stories out of order, this will mark the first time a huge chunk of material has been skipped over entirely. Starting with this arc, the series becomes a very different animal, and I was hoping to see all the funny stuff animated before the tonal shift took place.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Haven't watched it yet, and I only vaguely remember this story from the manga, but I look forward to discussing it here when I do. Comedy-wise, it'd be pretty hard to top the season openers.

Speaking of the manga, does anyone else think Sorachi is gearing up for the end? The last eight-ish months have been pure epicness -and he seems to be wrapping up all the series' continuing narratives. I really hope I'm wrong, but this honestly feels like curtain call. Plus, if the manga's going to conclude in the near future, that may explain the anime's revival.

Bite your tongue!! Ok, I kinda agree it feels that way too, but still, bite your tongue! I'm still hoping that maybe he's concluding this portion of the series just so he can introduce a completely new storyline: like introduce totally new enemies that has no ties to the past but is even more formidable. Something like that. Technically with a series like Gintama, even if he ends it in the near future, he can always pick it up again a couple years down the line if inspiration strikes. As long as he doesn't kill off anyone important.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
I'm still hoping that maybe he's concluding this portion of the series just so he can introduce a completely new storyline: like introduce totally new enemies that has no ties to the past but is even more formidable. Something like that. Technically with a series like Gintama, even if he ends it in the near future, he can always pick it up again a couple years down the line if inspiration strikes. As long as he doesn't kill off anyone important.

I won't give up hope, but Sorachi's claim that "preparations to end the series are underway" and the current arc's pervasive endgame vibe have me worried. Personally, I'd be fine with him wrapping up the overarching plot and re-shifting the focus back to comedy, but I realize that's unlikely.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
razberry_yum wrote:
I'm still hoping that maybe he's concluding this portion of the series just so he can introduce a completely new storyline: like introduce totally new enemies that has no ties to the past but is even more formidable. Something like that. Technically with a series like Gintama, even if he ends it in the near future, he can always pick it up again a couple years down the line if inspiration strikes. As long as he doesn't kill off anyone important.

I won't give up hope, but Sorachi's claim that "preparations to end the series are underway" and the current arc's pervasive endgame vibe have me worried. Personally, I'd be fine with him wrapping up the overarching plot and re-shifting the focus back to comedy, but I realize that's unlikely.

Yeah, I think the manga will be ending soon too. The arc we are in looks to be building up to the climax of Gintama's whole plot, that's been slowly gearing up for a very very long time. I really can't think of a better time for Gintama to finish, than with this arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 35