• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I'm both happy and disappointed, since this means we're almost certainly looking at another hiatus after the winter season. Let's just hope this one doesn't last two years. It always kind of irked me that other Shonen Jump adaptations can exist in perpetuity, but Gintama - which is a prime candidate for anime-original material - is constantly fading in and out.

I know they're just trying to keep things chronological, but this is a weird arc to (presumably) go out on, since spoiler[it's not really about Gintoki.] (Not really a spoiler, but you can never be too careful.)

But think about it, do you REALLY want fillers? Not that I don't have any faith in the animation team's ability to come up with some good fillers, but, at the same time, I'm still traumatized from the memories of the fillers that plagued Bleach and Naruto (I actually stopped watching the former because of them), so I would rather they just take a break and wait for the manga. While they might lose some viewers during the hiatus, those of us who are faithful will always come back. And honestly, with how the story is going, I don't think attracting new viewers is even a goal with them anymore. Not to mention, what kind of fillers would even work at this point? Comedic ones would be out of place while dramatic ones might impact the ongoing storyline.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
I'm still traumatized from the memories of the fillers that plagued Bleach and Naruto (I actually stopped watching the former because of them), so I would rather they just take a break and wait for the manga.

I once had a nightmare about Studio Pierrot being put in charge of Gintama.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
I think i'm just gonna sit in a corner crying, probably all the way through the rest of this series, but definitely until the end of the next arc. Crying or Very sad
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Kind of a weird question, but has Shigeshige ever been formally introduced to Gintoki's gang? I know he's often functioned as their victim du jour - and they helped take down his uncle - but does he even know their names?
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Kind of a weird question, but has Shigeshige ever been formally introduced to Gintoki's gang? I know he's often functioned as their victim du jour - and they helped take down his uncle - but does he even know their names?

If you mean formally as in, "Hi, shogun-sama, this is Kagura and this is Shinpachi", then no, I don't think so. But they've yelled each others' names in front of him, so I'm sure by now he knows who they are. Although I think he was formally introduced to Tae and Kyuubei.

Last edited by razberry_yum on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I think i'm just gonna sit in a corner crying, probably all the way through the rest of this series, but definitely until the end of the next arc. Crying or Very sad

Oh yeah, I'm with you there. And I actually disagree with Amy-san regarding the ending music over the last scene. It actually made me cry even harder. While it's an upbeat tune, because of how they first introduced us to the music with the ending sequence showing photographs of everyone's childhood and the people they've lost after they've become adults, the song took on a sad, nostalgic quality for me. Therefore, when they played it over that final moment, it was all the more devastating since it reiterated what is being lost there. I mean, right now, just imagining the empty space beside Soyo-hime in her photographs from hereon forth whereas before it would have been occupied by her brother is making me teary-eyed.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
If you mean formally as in, "Hi, shogun-sama, this is Kagura and this is Shinpachi", then no, I don't think so. But they've yelled each others' names in front of him, so I'm sure by now he knows who they are. Although I think he was formally introduced to Tae and Kyuubei.

That sounds about right. Outside of the serious arcs, it's often hard to get a read on Shigeshige - which is part of what makes him so funny.

Do you think he recognizes the Yorozuya every time they meet? Like, does he know Gintoki's the guy from the hostess club, the lifeguard, the person who rode him like a snowboard, and the one whose dog almost killed (and drowned) him - or does he think it's a different person each time? The latter is funnier, although it's probably not the case.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
razberry_yum wrote:

That sounds about right. Outside of the serious arcs, it's often hard to get a read on Shigeshige - which is part of what makes him so funny.

Do you think he recognizes the Yorozuya every time they meet? Like, does he know Gintoki's the guy from the hostess club, the lifeguard, the person who rode him like a snowboard, and the one whose dog almost killed (and drowned) him - or does he think it's a different person each time? The latter is funnier, although it's probably not the case.

I've always assumed he knows it's the same guy and that's why he puts up with it. He probably took a liking to the gang since the beginning because they treat him like a normal person despite knowing he's the shogun, so that's why he keeps on coming back for more punishment.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought there was a slim possibility the anime would end this arc with Shigeshige arriving in Kyo, adapt all the skipped manga stories (minus the Love Potion Arc), and tack Shigeshige's death onto the beginning of the arc that's starting next week. No such luck!
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I thought there was a slim possibility the anime would end this arc with Shigeshige arriving in Kyo, adapt all the skipped manga stories (minus the Love Potion Arc), and tack Shigeshige's death onto the beginning of the arc that's starting next week. No such luck!

When they didn't announce the next arc, I thought they were either going to do something like that or just take a break, but I'm glad they're just heading forward. There's really no turning back at this point! Maybe you'll get the skipped comedic arcs as special OAVs, much like the LP arc, so don't give up hope yet!
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
*inhales

SHOOOOOCHAAAAAAAN

It's obviously more impactful when you first see it but Shigeshige's faint smile was as heartbreaking as in the manga.

Also I'm really glad they will animate the next arc. We can even hope that the current manga arc is done (remember that this year starts the last manga arc in Gintama) so we can finish the anime in the highest hype for the conclusion.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
I love how Saito has been included in Shinsengumi crowd shots ever since his (very late) introduction. He's definitely the Gintama equivalent of Scruffy the janitor.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 308

OH MY GOD!!! SHO~GUN!!!!

It's over! It is really over. This is no going back now. "It's Shogun!" Punchline no more! This new arc, the Farewell Shinsengumi arc is really gonna be dark and epic with new awesome background music as usual. Who knows what's waiting for us but I don't care if they are disbanded. Just don't kill off any beloved characters. (Note: Do not confirm or deny this part. It will serve as spoiler since I don't read manga)

And where did you get the news that Gintama is ending this year? Where is the source?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote
At last December's Jump Festa event, Rie Kugimiya read a letter from Sorachi that stated the manga will be entering its final arc in 2016.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
It would great if they adapted those arcs as OVAs, since they apparently can't be adapted now in the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 35