• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leongsh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 314

O.O I don't even... Shocked

As a manga reader, I was waiting for the reaction of the anime-only watchers for the reveal. I think for most manga readers, it was a similar reaction too when it was first revealed in the manga.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 314

O.O I don't even... Shocked

As a manga reader, I was waiting for the reaction of the anime-only watchers for the reveal. I think for most manga readers, it was a similar reaction too when it was first revealed in the manga.

As an anime-only follower, the voice was a dead giveaway, IMO. The long, beige-colored hair substantiated that further. Still was pretty surprising, though.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
It's a shame the Sasaki brothers never got a chance to make peace. Tetsunosuke certainly seemed willing to forgive Isaburo's attempt on his life, but the latter never truly acknowledged him as a member of the family. Had these characters been featured in more stories, that would have been a fun relationship to explore.

I don't think any of the main characters will join the dearly departed, either. If the last two arcs are any indication, supporting players are the only ones we truly need to worry about. Of course, prior to Shigeshige's demise, I never thought any recurring non-villain was at risk, so more surprises may be in store.

Admittedly, I'm a little unclear on how Zura's feigned-death pills work. If ingesting one sends you into a death-like slumber, how was Kondo able to spit it out at will? Was this supposed to be a nod to his inner strength or something?
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know how many more characters Hideaki Sorachi intends to kill off, but if the lead-in to each death is as emotional as this one, I'm going to have to stock up on tissues before the anime returns from its forthcoming hiatus.

You and me both...

When following this arc in the manga over several weeks, i was hoping against hope for Isaburo and Nobume to get their happy ending and when Sorachi killed him off in the last minute, i initially felt more rage than sadness...now i can agree that it was a fairly fitting solution to Isaburo's character arc and while i still would have liked for both of them to survive and to learn that it's okay to go on living, despite everything they've been through, i've made my peace with this ending. Special kudos to the voice actors for making that final scene especially emotional!

Just one more episode to go. Sad
voltaseca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
That "revelation" about Nobume was such a damned cop-out.
Like, come on Sodachi.
"Oh it's all a misunderstanding! It wasn't her!"
Stick to your guns.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
voltaseca wrote:
That "revelation" about Nobume was such a damned cop-out.
Like, come on Sodachi.
"Oh it's all a misunderstanding! It wasn't her!"
Stick to your guns.

I don't think he changed it midway, it was actually on purpose to go that way, and it works even better like this. Sasaki knew Nobume did not kill his wife, but it was the most likely possibility at first glance, so he says "I'm taking this child to fulfill my revenge", but what he actually meant was "I'm taking this child and raise her as she deserves it", as Kondo points out.

Meanwhile, it works for Nobume's character, as she clinged to the only one who would accept someone as her by their side: Sasaki. She too thought "We are together because he gave me the job to ultimately finish him", but she actually cherished their relationship as if he was a father for her, she realised this in her breakdown with Sougo and Kagura, she wasn't bound by anything anymore, and she also felt this even more when Sasaki told her he knew she didn't kill his wife: their relationship was true all along.
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
If Gintama continues to drop ranks even with the latest episodes being pretty close to perfect, I'll be livid. Evil or Very Mad

Honestly, the part where Sasaki and his wife were exchanging mails with possible names had me bawling as he plummeted to his death. Classic Sorachi.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't share Gintoki's sweet tooth, but I'd actually be open to sampling an Uji Gintoki-don. Conversely, you'd have to pay me (like, a LOT) to try a Hijikata Special.

It would be great if Crunchyroll could somehow secure the streaming rights for the Love Potion OVAs, although I realize that's incredibly unlikely. Heck, the 2014 OVA still hasn't been released in any official capacity.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Jeez why do all the long running series I'm caught up on have to be ending for now except the one I most want to (though the Itachi arc is welcome). Farewell for now Gintama *salutes*

I liked the ending well enough, though perhaps it would have made a better arc finale than season finale. They couldn't well go with their usual "aw shucks we got cancelled. Damned TV execs. *raises middle finger*" The whole season was great and almost a miracle to anime only viewers, considering the movie before it.

I think I tried Hijikata's combination of mayonnaise and rice, though not in that proportion. I don't remember it being bad, just not something I wanted to eat again. I would try Gintoki's though.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
^^ My husband put mayonnaise in blue box mac and cheese the other day, then fed it to me without advance warning. So gross. If nothing else, Toshi has bowels of steel.

Feeling conflicted and underwhelmed by the season finale right now. It wasn't really even as good in comparison just as an episode to most of this arc, or maybe I'm just bummed out, but it's like, Gintama isn't about the big continuity cliffhangers, and the Shoyo reveal followed by a big fat see ya later is weird and annoying.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
This would not be the season finale if it could be helped. I mean, they even switched the order of the arcs so the amount of episodes would fit within the air schedule. At production time, it was likely impossible to tell when exactly the second to last manga arc would end to animate it, so it was also too risky from a production and schedule standpoint to stretch it out with the Love Potion arc and some fillers here and there.

Of course, I'd rather see it end with the current arc and wait for the last arc and animate it, but there's no helping it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
At production time, it was likely impossible to tell when exactly the second to last manga arc would end to animate it, so it was also too risky from a production and schedule standpoint to stretch it out with the Love Potion arc and some fillers here and there

Setting aside the current manga arc, they have a cour's worth of comedic arcs and standalone chapters they chose not to animate, so I'm inclined to believe the goal was to end Gintama° with the Farewell Shinsengumi Arc.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
So perfect. So perfect and so damn beautiful. I've been waiting for this last episode since the chapters came out and it completely lived and exceeded all my expectations. I cried buckets. Heck, I cried buckets so many times during the last 16 episodes; my tear ducts are all dried up. Team Bandai Namco and all the amazing seiyuus of the series deserve a hearty round of prolonged applause for all the stellar work they put in this season, especially during the last two arcs. They more than did justice to Sorachi-sensei's manga. And I'm so grateful they even stuck in that little tag at the end to let us know that the anime will most likely return. I'm hoping they will be able to come back next year; but no matter when the anime returns, I will be there to support it.

I love Gintama. I will love it forever.
Midaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
It was a great episode!! But why did Gintoki say Gilgamesh at the begining? Does anybody know?
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, Gintama! I love the OP, especially the song, and the gorgeous ED images. If memory serves, there will still be bits of humor here and there, this is Gintama after all, but much like the Farewell Shinsengumi arc, the drama and action takes centerstage.

Since this season is named the Battle on Rakuyo, I do hope we will get another season after this named, appropriately, spoiler[The Battle on Earth]. I keep on hearing this season is the last, which is completely distressing, so I hope that's just a rumor and we will at least get one more season of the aftermath, which is still an on-going arc in the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 35