• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
I don't think the comedy mixes well with the Joui war, that has always been the more serious part of the show.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 271

I think so far,this was the best episode of this season until proved otherwise. Totally wrong way to use misdirection and when a guy who was about to die, start complaining over debts totally ruined the mood.

And best of all, the preview when they are still talking about their past and Gintoki is pissed off. Apparently this week, in Kuroko's Basketball's latest episode - they happen to discussed and demonstrate about Akashi's Emperor eye. Did the staffs at Sunrise somehow calculated this or was just pure coincidence? I'll take the later.

Finally to@Hameyadea: Thanks for answering my question.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or did the change of studios for this season change the artwork a tad? Everybody's eyes in Gintama have always creeped me out in sort of the same way ventriloquist dummies' eyes do, but I'm not getting that reaction this season. Can't quite put my finger on what's different.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I feel the same way. I think the current designs are slightly, SLIGHTLY more in line with the look of the manga.
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
"We're making a parody of Kuroko no Basuke. You know who we should get to voice Kurokono? The guy that plays Kuroko"

Oh Gintama. You crack me up every single time
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Is it strange that I'd now like to see an entire episode devoted to Takechi's childhood?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
I've always loved stories that pair Gin and Toshi, and this may have been my favorite one to date. It even managed to outdo the episode in which they were handcuffed together for a day - and that's no small accomplishment.

And yeah, non-human Amanto have become an increasingly small part of the series. Almost to the point of being nonexistent. (Despite Prince Hata/Baka being featured in almost every intro.) I think Shinpachi even made reference to this in one of the clip shows.

The only reference that went over my head this time was Hijikata's mention of "gay twins." Since he mentioned specific (bleeped) names, I assumed he was referring to actual people, but Google hasn't been much help.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
The only reference that went over my head this time was Hijikata's mention of "gay twins." Since he mentioned specific (bleeped) names, I assumed he was referring to actual people, but Google hasn't been much help.

They're Piko and Osugi, pop-culture critics and japanese celebrities. And yes, they're homosexual.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
*finds hat, tips it* Thanks! Your knowledge truly befits your user icon.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
So no Gintama this week, just a rerun of Fist of the North Star. No one remembers the episode where they robbed a bank?
bobob101

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So no Gintama this week, just a rerun of Fist of the North Star. No one remembers the episode where they robbed a bank?

It is a good thing Raoh has a get-away horse that can jump over buildings.

Not gonna lie, I got goose bumps when I heard the opening guitar part of You wa Shock. Oh Fist, what can't you make better?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

It is a good thing Raoh has a get-away horse that can jump over buildings.

Not gonna lie, I got goose bumps when I heard the opening guitar part of You wa Shock. Oh Fist, what can't you make better?

Aside from Streamline's terrible dub of the first feature film and DD HnK, I haven't seen any First of the North Star - yet I'm somehow able to recognize whenever it's being parodied.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Fair review. Certainly, it's pretty hard to gauge the comedic value of the episode when there is such a high cultural barrier like in this episode, so grading it based on how much a foreign viewer is going to enjoy it seems like a good way to go.

And I do remember googling the Mother developer to see how big his nostrils were (pretty big)
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Though funny, this was probably my least favorite episode of the current season. There have been plenty of other episodes in which the main group discussed ways to improve the series, and the first story didn't stack up very well against them. I'm pretty much with Amy on the second story; some great Otae moments, but nothing particularly memorable.

Stoked for the gender swap arc next week!
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Gender swap arc? Ahoho! So I made the right choice of leaving the series after watching the preview for the episode dedicated to Gintoki and Toshi. They should now just rename the series to Fujoshi-tama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 35