• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Love Story!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
While I can sort of see Takeo shouting "Man up!" at his buddy for just basically "abandoning" the girls to go get help, I felt like his "Man up!" was more about taking Nanako's feelings into consideration, since Kiruhara's been really off-kilter the whole time and seems to be actively avoiding opportunities to be honest with himself about Nanako--that "we're just friends" bit was especially bad. Plus, Takeo seems to appreciate people trying their best, even if they aren't successful, and Kiruhara just seemed really half-hearted the whole time, only to start wallowing in self-pity at the end--which wasn't really deserved given his lackadaisical attitude.

To me, that's what Takeo's "Man up!" was really about: doing your best, even if your best isn't all that great. Or maybe I'm just reading into this too much. Razz
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
well, I can finally disagree witha review of this show

Quote:
(Using the show's OP for this was a nice touch.)

nah, I think it's lame, a lto fo shows do that whenever they need an insert song and have no money or a musical producer to get them one.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I also wonder what the endgame with Suna is as he is the only character i can´t predict the actions of. The question regarding his orientation the board addressed way earlier seems valid to me too. (Don´t call Hayato a saint yet...)

People throw this word around, but Suna really seems completely asexual to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a love interest later on, but I kind of find it refreshing that he hasn't yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
I was just happy to see a partial translation of the OP's lyrics! It's about baking! Very Happy

Man, I love this show!

Kurihara was giving mixed signals the whole episode, though. I agree, the "man up!" speech was more about that.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii: it's obvious that Takeo was more referencing that, but then, producers, don't try to put as a representative example of his attitude a dangerous situation like this one where safety prevails over all and try to make it all about "being especially caring about her" and blaming him for saving them in the best way, it just makes this clear as a transparent savior fantasy bullshit. "Ohh, how brave he went to save me from three threatening delincuents, even though he was beaten or stabbed and Yamato and I are being forced to be with them in the streets or even hurt by being a fight between them! Oh whatever, at least he didn't save us by calling Takeo for two seconds and ensuring nobody is hurt, he reaaaally cares about me~~".

It bothers me these kinds of stories that are about "it's okay if you are a weak man, doesn't matter" when they are still going full-force with the "man up" attitude, if this is where the author thinks the lowest bar is then it's not pleasant. A curious case is Great Teacher Onizuka which has two arcs like that for the same character, being the first one a pretty good one, and the second one totally awful (sad, yes).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I kind of agree with justsomeaccount, although to me that little thing was just a momentaneous dud in an otherwise very sweet episode that also had some amount of actual relationship drama, something I'd been wanting for a while. I thought Afro-kun did the right thing in rushing to get help instead of jumping into a fight he absolutely couldn't win. If he had "manned up" and tried to protect the girls, it's likely Takeo wouldn't had made it on time and all three of them would've ended hurt. It was a little disappointing and frustrating that people got mad at him and that no one acknowledged that he'd made the best possible choice in a potentialy dangerous circumstance

But other than that I really liked the episode and it felt like a nice change of pace
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:04 am Reply with quote
Aside of the "man up" scene, I really had to roll my eyes at the girls completely freezing up and cowering because some delinquent talked to them. Talk about tired cliches and outdated ideas.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I thought Afro-kun did the right thing in rushing to get help instead of jumping into a fight he absolutely couldn't win. If he had "manned up" and tried to protect the girls, it's likely Takeo wouldn't had made it on time and all three of them would've ended hurt. It was a little disappointing and frustrating that people got mad at him and that no one acknowledged that he'd made the best possible choice in a potentialy dangerous circumstance

I think people are overstating the danger. Granted, LOGICALLY, I also thought Afro made the right decision, BUT we're talking about a few guys mouthing off in a Karaoke parlor. We're not talking US gang members with guns, or even (as far as we know) knives. From what was visible, the worst we should've expected is Afro taking some punches.

I think the big PROBLEM with the scene is that they spent WAY too much time setting the character dynamic that culminates in that scene. (ie. Afro was an @$$) Honestly, like I said, I agree that in THAT instance, Afro made the right choice. But the problem is that I face palmed when he did it, because it is preceded by a LITANY of WRONG choices. (He starts off on the wrong foot by teasing her for an outfit that she's obviously trying to look cute in, and it only goes downhill from there) Basically, the girl left the group because Afro was kind of being a jerk, and his chance to play the "hero" (which was not staged) is thrown away.

All that said, there's really no point in ANY guy in that circle trying to play "hero" since they're never gonna match "run into a burning building to save a couple of girls that were making fun of him" Takeo.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
When they do kiss, they'll have to be careful Takeo doesn't suck her face off.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Takeo's mom is so awesome! The way she caught another pregnant lady who was slipping on icy stairs on the street, despite being 9 months pregnant herself is Takeo-level superheroic. And as your review points out, her relationship with Takeo's dad is basically a gender-reversed Takeo/Yamato. We don't know much about Takeo's dad, but we know that his mom was an amateur wrestler at one point, and that she's tough, strong, and less traditionally pretty than the average shojo heroine.

Takeo's face is a perfect combination of his parents' faces, too. I never noticed how much so until Episode 19.

Anyone else laugh at Suna's rejection of Takeo's marriage proposal ("I will be okay with her marrying you, Suna!" "No!")This story's *not* gonna have one of those endings and its all the better for it. Very Happy

But Takeo's baby sister could have shojo manga sized issues as she grows into the awkward phases of adolescence. It's not always easy being the tallest girl in class. I would totally read a sequel about her!

The review didn't mention it, but this episode actually ended on a cliffhanger--what are the Goudas going to name their new baby? I was kind of hoping ep 20 would be titled "My Sister" and would be all about bringing the baby home, but we're skipping to Valentine's Day (it's titled "My Chocolate"). I hope they tell us the baby's name anyway, and not just leave her unnamed as some kind of running gag. That'd be cruel.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this episode and I'm really glad it didn't end up like I thought it would with something terrible happening. Perhaps, that is why I like this show so much. It defies my expectations by not doing stuff like that. Also, by having a cast of actual nice and caring people. <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe how much I am loving this show. I marathoned it over the past couple days, and this show makes me so giddy with happiness. Seeing the end of this ep, I hope the blue oni is about to finally find his own bit of happiness? It may not happen, but a guy can hope can't he?
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
CrimsonDX wrote:
I can't believe how much I am loving this show. I marathoned it over the past couple days, and this show makes me so giddy with happiness. Seeing the end of this ep, I hope the blue oni is about to finally find his own bit of happiness? It may not happen, but a guy can hope can't he?

Well, as much as i want Suna to find happiness, i'd hoped they wouldn't forcibly pair up everyone in this show for once...you don't need to be in a romantic relationship in order to be happy (just as not everyone in a romantic relationship actually is happy...) and Suna never seemed all that desperate to get a girlfriend. But well, it is shoujo after all...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Two things of note from this episode:
1) I'm curious if Takeo ever got chocolate from Suna's sister, which he might've mistaken for (or even been told was) "obligation chocolate". That just seems likely to me and something I wondered.

2) I LOVED the brief scene of Takeo talking to his baby sister. With all the times Takeo has gone to Suna for support and advice, I truly would LOVE it if every episode included a scene of Takeo getting "counseling" from his less than 1 year old sibling. Laughing
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
CrimsonDX wrote:

Well, as much as i want Suna to find happiness, i'd hoped they wouldn't forcibly pair up everyone in this show for once...you don't need to be in a romantic relationship in order to be happy (just as not everyone in a romantic relationship actually is happy...) and Suna never seemed all that desperate to get a girlfriend. But well, it is shoujo after all...
I have to say personally I really don't want to see Suna wind up with someone. a lot of members of the ace/aro community have been seeing a lot of themselves in Suna and headcannoning him as ace and/or aro. quite frankly ace/aro people could use more representation, especially more positive representation, and he really seemed like good potential representation for them. so I'd hate to see that potential taken away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11