• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Love Story!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
Well i am caught up with vol.8 of the manga so i know what sort of "secret" will be reveled next week Smile. See you then and and seinen dogZ like me are watching too.
I even got a friend onboard who never saw a shoujo anime before so if this isn´t a gateway show/manga than i don´t know what is. It won the award for Best Shōjo Manga at the 37th Kodansha Manga Awards, was nominated for the 6th Manga Taishō in 2013 and also nominated for the 18th Annual Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize "Reader Award" in 2014.
None of you even met my favorite character yet who would be Gouda´s dad, his mother is cool too and Ai Sunakawa is 19 btw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Episode #4:

I didn't particularly liked that whole "Takeo is obviously going to be the Hero of the Day" approach in this Episode. It felt forced, especially after Episode #2 also ready had something very similar in tone-, plot & narrative- and lead-up-wise. This show will be a 24-episode one, so I'll wait a bit more, but two Hero of the Day scenes - and done quite blatantly at that - out of (then) 4 Episodes aired isn't too reassuring.

Episode #5:

Really, the mandatory Love Rival is so causally olaced within the narrative? Now, unlike my gripe with Episode #4 (and by extension, Episode #2), I found this Episode's narrative to be quite funny and easy-going. I was more (in the lack of a better word) dumbfounded by it. That whole "Yamato clearly hides something" was played a tad too much, by overall it was an enjoyable Episode.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Getting its main couple together in episode 4 differentiates it from everything else in the genre,[...]

Well actually no, Kare Kano gets them together also in 4 episodes and it goes further into the relationship in future episodes (although that show is so highs and lows to the extreme in every way possible that it's hard to opinate about it, MLS is more consistent and healthier), but other than that I don't know another one.

This episode was more on track than the weak previous one, I'm glad Ai as romantic rival is gone and it went in a cute way. Maybe so much noise over such small gestures are a little overbored, and I still expect Takeo to have more defects, but this review noted the importance of physical attraction too that I didn't think about when I just saw the episode. It's still very very cute and I hope it keeps developing the relationship more.
blessed

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I busted something inside my stomach the way this weeks ep had me laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Poor, poor Suna. That scene had me LOLing. I'm surprised he didn't suffocate!
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
I actually thought the kiss scene at the end was a bit uncomfortable? Like how Suna repeatedly said no, and even said he thought it would be "gross", and Takeo ignored him and did it anyway. Normally that would be considered sexual assault (saran wrap or no) so it's a bit disturbing how many people found that scene ~hilarious~.

That said I still adore this show so far, but I wish that part had been done differently.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
I didn't like how it was handled either, but I guess we're in the minority. There was a way to do that scene that would have been funny, but they made some choices that make me wonder if it's actually going to have some fallout instead of just being a joke.

Suna trying to back him off with, "You're crossing a line here," the brief close-up of Takeo as a terrifying red-eyed monster as he growls "I'm resolved to do this," and the detail of Suna's breath fogging the plastic wrap as he clearly was suffocating, all made the situation feel genuinely dire to me, and not a joke. But then, the final off-camera scream was delivered like a punch-line so maybe they were just bad choices and not intentionally distressing?

I think it was how the scene started out with Suna doing his usual low-key methods of steering Takeo onto less annoying tracks, and built into him looking really scared when he realizes it's not working this time. Even in my most benign interpretation, all I could think of was Lenny in Of Mice and Men.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
Really liked the look back at Ai`s crush. Was such a wonderfully cute reason, and helped a lot in making her a better character than the last episode portrayed her as. This episode was the cutest one yet, and glad his niceness was only about helping a kitten from a tree this time. Definitely felt the fire was a bit much though still cool.

I think the real fun of the kiss was the fact that the series hinted heavily at Sunakawa liking him. A real abrupt cruel end to the shippers (not that they would stop). Yes the imagery was very creepy, but they wanted to make sure it wasn`t too similar to girls doing it. Also, Suna is definitely dead and won`t be appearing next episode.

A lot of times an uncomfortable image can be saved by the tone. This series is innocent enough that it did not make me feel uncomfortable at all with the scene. I can understand the queasiness though.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
And there you have it folks. The "big" secret Is just a red hearing and Yamato is still an innocent variation on the Yamato nadeshiko trope and nothing else. She is the purer one in the relationship i might add and her doubts came more from the lies then anything else.
The things some people came up with... but i saw though the misdirect when i read the series last year as vol.2 is a bad place to turn the tables. I am a fan of the rape joke variation @the end of ep.6 due to the surreal earnestness but i get the criticism.

If anyone of you still isn´t into the show then feel free to jump of now as this type of content will be the norm. A bit of actual drama is coming too but you will see and Ai will be a main cast member from now on. Is it just me or is her VA not age appropriate at all.
Her voice acting is well done but she sounds twice her age! Another worry is that Madhouse may pull a gecko ending (these and changed endings are their one Achilles heel) and not just choose a natural jump of point. There isn´t on though as of now... Hm.
Whatever and only the repackaged GitS Arise is better this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I didn't like how it was handled either, but I guess we're in the minority.

Count me in the minority, if it is in fact a minority. That scene bugged me on two counts: first, it was yet another iteration of the super-tired "homosexual panic" trope - oh noes, a boy wants to kiss me and I'm a boy too and gross! However, more egregious than that was the really creepy "you are going to do this whether you want to or not" rapey vibe.

residentgrigo wrote:
Is it just me or is her VA not age appropriate at all.
Her voice acting is well done but she sounds twice her age!

I've had the same thought.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
That scene bugged me on two counts...

Slapstick comedy for our fujoshi friends, lot more funnier than these usually are so I count it as a big bonus for this series.

residentgrigo wrote:
Is it just me or is her VA not age appropriate at all.

Kikuko Inoue? She is 17.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Blood- wrote:
That scene bugged me on two counts...

Slapstick comedy for our fujoshi friends, lot more funnier than these usually are so I count it as a big bonus for this series.

An opinion that could only be held by someone with a really crappy sense of humour. Rolling Eyes
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...really crappy sense of humour. Rolling Eyes

That's the secret for good life.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Wasn't a fan of the forced kiss scene, either. Very out-of-character for Takeo and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the series' comedy. Sure, Takeo's a fiercely driven guy, but nothing we've been shown so far indicates that he's someone who would subject his best friend (or anyone else, for that matter) to something like this. I understand that shock humor often requires characters to do and say things that run counter to their established personalities, but this was just unpleasant.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Very out-of-character for Takeo...

I'd say it was completely in-character. Takeo is the manliest of man in love and he will stop for nothing to protect his Little Missus happiness, no siree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11