• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Vampire Hunter D Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Remember watching this on TNT (or was it TBS? before Sci-Fi started airing anime) at 2am on a school day (after a samurai film at midnight and before Robot Carnival at 4am - yeah stayed up all night then still went to school that day). Laughing

Did it air on TNT/TBS? I just recall it being shown on CN back in '96, along with Robot Carnival and Twilight of the Cockroaches. Although, since they're all Turner networks it wouldn't surprise me if all 3 passed it around since they were kinda scraping for programming in the earlier days.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Discotek got the better film. I own the original release and feel zero desire to double dip.

True, but the 85 film is still decent enough. I'm more concerned about VHD:B's BD actually being a new transfer from film.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I thought that Discotek had this film. Wasn't there an announcement somewhere or was it for the new film?

It wasn't for the first film but for Bloodlust.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I really wish that Madhouse would do another Vampire Hunter D film, but it seems like they may have waited too long.

There was a lot more interest about a decade ago when Dark Horse started publishing the novels in English, DMP started publishing that manga adaptation, and there were plans for an American comic and possibly a Hollywood film adaptation.

Alas.

At least the novel translations are still coming along. They're up to volume 23 now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Remember watching this on TNT (or was it TBS? before Sci-Fi started airing anime) at 2am on a school day (after a samurai film at midnight and before Robot Carnival at 4am - yeah stayed up all night then still went to school that day). Laughing

Did it air on TNT/TBS? I just recall it being shown on CN back in '96, along with Robot Carnival and Twilight of the Cockroaches. Although, since they're all Turner networks it wouldn't surprise me if all 3 passed it around since they were kinda scraping for programming in the earlier days.

Yeah, early on, cable stations were looking for programming (including Nickelodeon with anime shows like Grimm's Fairy Tales and Maya the Bee).

But it was definitely before '96 and definitely not CN. Quite sure it's TNT (though also possibly TBS since they're right next to each other in our channels, and both start with "T" Turner). I remember checking the TV Guide magazine every week for months afterwards to see if they would be shown again (hardly any internet back then to simply do a web search) - but alas, never did.

I surmised it was probably some sort of special Japanese films marathon that I just happened to stumble upon that night, not regular programming, and thus never repeated. (Was doing homework --yeah I do it late-- and just kept the TV on as company, since everyone else already asleep.)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
I thought that Discotek had this film. Wasn't there an announcement somewhere or was it for the new film?

It wasn't for the first film but for Bloodlust.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Wow, it's surprising with all of the older stuff they've would have been the ones releasing this title.
Desslok

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Sentai will get the rights to the Streamline dub? I haven't seen it for a hundred years now, but I remember it being pretty well done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2