• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game, Round 13.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
You're not quite right, dtm42. spoiler[Why would Rikiishi assist in the pre-match rub down of his opponent? He would be getting his own rub down from his own handlers. Character C is Nishi, the former prison bully and heavyweight fighter who becomes Joe's loyal ally as part of the Tange Gym team.] I'll give it to you, though.

I'm watching this as part of my project to watch older classics. I'm really, really enjoying them. Their visual and thematic aesthetics are so different from today's anime that they've rekindled that sense of strangeness I felt when I got into anime around 2007. Anime evolves steadily but slowly and I'm finding that much of the recent shows have a same-same feel about them. No wonder that it's the likes of Ping Pong, Flowers of Evil and Yurikuma Arashi that are recent shows I've enjoyed the most.

I'm not saying the old stuff is better. Certainly from a technical point of view they aren't, and any era would create its own sense of same-same. It does help that the long episode count allows for extended plot and character development. The spoiler[Rikiishi-Joe] final fight sequence of episodes is as magnificent as anything I've seen in anime. It wasn't until the final punch that I knew who I barracking for. The outcome is shocking and ironic and the fallout is beautifully handled.

If this man calls for the Vaseline be very afraid.

Are there any one-eyed characters in Hajime no Ippo?

The turn is open.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are there any one-eyed characters in Hajime no Ippo?

I'm not sure, but I googled images of Ippo's master and there were plenty of him that seemed like one of his eyes wasn't working, though on second thought it was probably just a black-eye mid-fight.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
You're not quite right, dtm42. spoiler[Why would Rikiishi assist in the pre-match rub down of his opponent? He would be getting his own rub down from his own handlers. Character C is Nishi, the former prison bully and heavyweight fighter who becomes Joe's loyal ally as part of the Tange Gym team.]

Uh, yeah, that does seem pretty daft. What actually happened was that since you mentioned a rival I thought I'd see who he was in case he was relevant in some way to the answer (like, in terms of context). I was also in a huge hurry since I thought I didn't have long before someone else got the answer. And, well, when it came time to put Character C's name into the answer unfortunately spoiler[Rikiishi] was still on my mind, and I put his name down without really thinking about what I was doing.

Tl;dr: time pressure made me do something really dumb.

errinundra wrote:
I'll give it to you, though.

Thank you for your generosity.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
minigame?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
spoiler["En's the one who broke your nose!"]
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
That is correct.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
What's it from? It's a great image.

(Putting on my scorer's hat I wish people would identify where the minigame pictures come from.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Knights of Sidonia.]

Next mini-game:

Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
Not only is the open turn going unclaimed but a super easy mini-game is going to slip away. How sad.

Well it's been 12 hours so I guess I'll step in.

Sub:

"To the pervert wearing someone's panties on their head, and the idiot shedding her clothes: make yourselves decent again and come out. Right now. If you don't, then this [blank] is going to get hotter than the latest oven."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[The three people involved are siblings.]
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Mio reacting to Maria's latest attempt to get Basara to seduce Mio (or attempt to seduce Basara herself) in Testament of Sister New Devil]?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Correct. spoiler[It's from episode 8 where Basara and Maria are hiding in Mio's locker.]
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
sub
Hey! Watch where you are grabbing, or I'll-- Oh, so that's it. Stop glad-handling my hair! It's something I've been keeping for a long time for just one person! You understand that, you big dummy?
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[This twin-tailed tsundere is the childhood friend of the protagonist.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
Crap, I wish I was at home so I could check my answer... Well, if I'm wrong then it should be an easy pick up...

spoiler[This is definitely Aika from Gonna be a Twintail. I think this might be during the fight with Dragguildy where she's fighting off a bunch of mooks and they go after her hair. She's obviously unhappy because her hair is for Souji. And it's not like she has anywhere else worth grabbing.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 100