• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Club Hosoda

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
Even as a kid I could tell that the movies and episode 21 of Digimon were something special. I was a pretty big digimon fan, so when I saw Summer Wars the connection instantly clicked.

If you're really into Hosoda's early work, I'd also recommend tracking down the episodes he directed for Ojamajo Doremi Dokkan (40 & 49) and Ashita no Nadja (5, 12, & 26)

obviously it leaves more of an impact if you've seen the rest of the series (and you should because they're both great series in their own right), but his episodes easily stands out artistically in the rest of the show. Episode 49 of Doremi Dokkan had me bawling it's so great and heartwarming.

and Nadja 26 is such a beautiful episode. when people take screenshots and gifs of that show, they mostly take them from that episode.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
and Nadja 26 is such a beautiful episode. when people take screenshots and gifs of that show, they mostly take them from that episode.

Is that the one set at Alhambra Palace in Spain? If so, yes, that episode is absolutely stunning.

I wonder how the folks at Ghibli feel about Hosoda now. As their star is setting his is still rising, and he may well inherit Miyazaki's mantle as Japan's premiere director of big-budget family anime -- even without taking over Studio Ghibli.

How I got into One Piece late: I just started watching it. Came in during the Impel Down battle, and just kind of gradually absorbed what was going on through osmosis, movie adaptations of manga arcs, and "Episode Of" TV specials. The TV series is paced so glacially that barring a major Kai-ing of it, I don't see myself ever making the time to plow through it from the start.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Regarding One Piece as a very long series, and no doubt that's become the single biggest hindrance to the series's popularity in the west, the new fans who come in seem to do one of two things: They either read the manga straight from the beginning (daunting and reserved only for people with a lot of free time), or they just jump in mid-series. You can do that sort of thing with One Piece and figure things out after a short while.

Something else to consider is that every saga is a self-contained story. It is connected to other stories, but in the same way that episodes of Gravity Falls or Adventure Time connect to each other. If you don't want to invest the time to experience the entire series, you simply have to find where a saga begins and you'll get the idea before long.

You can get more out of the series by starting from the beginning and paying attention to every little detail that comes up, but you don't have to. All you truly need to know are the basic personalities of each of the Straw Hat Pirates, which make themselves obvious after a few chapters with them.

SuperDuperDog wrote:
Seriously why isn't that 6th film here?

Funimation is in charge in One Piece and has done each of the Hosoda films so far. More than likely going to do the next.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it.

Josh Kocurek, brand manager at FUNimation in charge of One Piece, knows Baron Omatsuri is the most requested One Piece movie (now that Strong World and Film Z have been dubbed and released) and is attempting to prioritize that. No word on if it's actually happening though.

Carlooo wrote:
Really? Film Z was that good? I thought it had boring villains and a rote plot. What did you think was good about Film Z? This is honestly interesting to me, I'm not being sarcastic.

I definitely prefer Hosoda's film, which I thought really captured the humor of One Piece in its first half, while racking up the tension in its second half.

Film Z ties in extensively with the series (the villain is canon, for instance), so it tends to be well-liked by One Piece fans. The prevailing opinion among One Piece fans is that they like how the environment depicted in the series could break someone like Z and that his motivations are entirely reasonable.

The Unofficial One Piece Podcast has done several pieces on Film Z, including a running commentary; it is the host's favorite One Piece movie (though the crew itself is split between Film Z and Baron Omatsuri).

sokpupet wrote:
It's amazing because the Baron is the only villain, canon or otherwise, to actually defeat the Straw Hats.*

*spoiler[Kuma didn't defeat them, he saved them.]

Whether Aokiji is a villain or not is debatable, but he certainly curb-stomped the Straw Hats on Long Ring Long Land. Rob Lucci also wrecked whatever Straw Hat members were present when they were invading Galley-La HQ.

Guile wrote:
I've never seen the American dubs of Digimon's movies but did they really combine 3 separate movies into one? That sounds absolutely horrible and a complete mess. How did they do it? I know the dub itself was terrible and full of jokes but that sounds like they went the extra mile to annoy people.

As far as long shounen goes. I never understood the hate they get here at ANN from the staff. Do they feel intellectual superior and above watching 'generic shounen', whatever that term is supposed to mean? Or is it really just the episode length? Length has never bothered me about a series. I always wish a series got more episodes, never less. I'm also up to date on Detective Conan, Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pocket Monsters and shounen are some of my favorite series each week to watch. I never saw how catching up to them is an intimidating task unless someone expects to do it in a single week.

Yes, they combined the short about Tai and Kari when they were very young, that Diaboromon movie, and its sequel. They are completely separated, with each movie fading out, an "X years later..." screen, and the next movie fading in. I actually quite enjoyed it when I was younger, though I know it had a 20% on RottenTomatoes.

But yeah, it's basically done as a triple-feature. It's not like it was cut up and mixed together like a salad.

Long series tend to be avoided by professional critics because they have so much on their plate that they really don't have time for long series unless they're already a fan of that series or they've been assigned long-term towards it. These guys may be watching 20 or 30 series at a time. It's a lot to take in.

koinosuke wrote:

I honestly feel like you've never watched One Piece. Considering that unlike all the other long-running series you listed, OP has always had an ending planned out, and (aside from a surprisingly scant amount of filler) has continually been about moving forward towards that ending. Every arc adds new detail to the world and complexity to a constantly coalescing story, one that just happens to be a long, immersive, and detailed complete story. This is in comparison to DB, Naruto, and especially Bleach, where its so much easier to tell that the authors rarely thought ahead beyond whatever arc they were currently working on. Why you even have Conan and OP in the same sentence here especially confuses me, since Conan is almost a completely episodic show, which is the exact opposite of OP.

You can't really tell what canon material is truly extraneous either. Oda likes to take elements from stuff that was previously thought to be stand-alone stories and incorporating them into the series, such as the Skypeia saga causing a revolution in Dial technology. The only story arc so far that's contributed nothing of greater significance later in the story is the Dave Back Fight arc, and even then it's clear Oda has plans to bring back characters and other things from that arc. For instance, spoiler[Foxy was skipped in "From the Decks of the World," even though Tonjit was not. This points towards Foxy being someone more important.]

Wandering Samurai wrote:
I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you sir. The destination and goals of One Piece has been made clear since the beginning of the series. Luffy declares in the very first chapter of the manga that he is going to become the Pirate King, and if you watch enough of the first quarter of the series, One Piece is located on Raftel, which is not really a secret to anyone now.

A bit of hairs to split: The One Piece is only popularly theorized to be on Raftel, and most of the characters in the series subscribe to that theory. Gold Roger only mentioned that he left all of his treasure together in one location (hence the name of the treasure), but he never specified where.

It may well be Luffy's straw hat, for all we know. (Nothing contradicts it so far, as a matter of fact.)

Lord Starfish wrote:
The problem is though, while they hardly ever do full-on filler episodes... once you get past a certain point, around episode 200 or so, the anime's pacing becomes pretty much 1-1 with the manga-chapters. And when they have to make a 21-minute episode out of 18 pages of manga, (sometimes even less than that... Lately they've been breaking up chapters in the anime and covering it at a roughly, oh... 3/4 of a chapter per episode ratio) naturally there ends up being a lot of padding. Admittedly, it's still far less padded than Dragon Ball Z at its worst, but just because we haven't had a full-fledged filler-arc lasting longer than 5 episodes since 2007, that doesn't mean that the One Piece anime is well-paced... Actually I sort of feel like having full-fledged filler-arcs would lead to the actual canon material being better... but with how long Oda's story-arcs are getting and how closely linked they are, I realize that this wouldn't really be possible without going the route of "Yeah, the main story continues and our heroes are right in the middle of a huge conflict... BUT NOW WE'RE GOING TO GO BACK TO A PREVIOUS POINT AND FOCUS ON SOMETHING COMPLETELY UNRELATED FOR HALF A YEAR!"

That be from the Impel Down arc and onwards. They've gotten much better at padding out the chapters now, but at the beginning, they were very, very rough around the edges. Impel Down went at a snail's pace in the anime whereas it was a lightning-paced story in the manga.

I think One Piece filler can work if they do it in the style of Straw Hat Theatre, where they provide completely different settings and scenarios and are upfront about it being non-canon.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
A lot of the best parts were about Z himself since it mostly expects you to already be familiar with the rest of the cast. I think it did a good job of giving Z understandable motives even though he was the villain. spoiler[His death and his crew's reaction to it was especially good]. It did slow down a bit during the middle, but the fight scenes near the end made up for it. It also had really good animation and I like that style way more than Hosoda's film. Also, seeing an attack called "Sexy Fire" is just hilarious.

That would make it pretty horrible as an introductory piece.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Videogamep wrote:
A lot of the best parts were about Z himself since it mostly expects you to already be familiar with the rest of the cast. I think it did a good job of giving Z understandable motives even though he was the villain. spoiler[His death and his crew's reaction to it was especially good]. It did slow down a bit during the middle, but the fight scenes near the end made up for it. It also had really good animation and I like that style way more than Hosoda's film. Also, seeing an attack called "Sexy Fire" is just hilarious.

That would make it pretty horrible as an introductory piece.

I don't think it was ever intended as one. The main plot requires at least some familiarity with the world of One Piece for it to make any kind of sense. I don't think it was ever advertised as any kind of introduction. It's popular enough in Japan that most viewers wouldn't need one anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Some One Piece fans do think it can be a good introduction to the series. I would disagree. I think Strong World would've been better for it, but even that requires you know the history of the world of One Piece, as its opening scene shows Garp and Sengoku getting attacked in the past without any context. It does actually bother to introduce viewers to the Straw Hats though.

Based on my experiences though, fans tend to be terrible at deciding what to show interested newcomers.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Some One Piece fans do think it can be a good introduction to the series. I would disagree. I think Strong World would've been better for it, but even that requires you know the history of the world of One Piece, as its opening scene shows Garp and Sengoku getting attacked in the past without any context. It does actually bother to introduce viewers to the Straw Hats though.

Based on my experiences though, fans tend to be terrible at deciding what to show interested newcomers.

I would recommend that newcomers just start from the beginning. It may be a huge time commitment, but it's completely worth it in my opinion. A lot of the best moments require the investment that comes from getting to know the characters over the course of the series and skipping too much could make it harder to do that. One Piece also has a tendency to turn minor characters and details into major plot points later (spoiler[Garp, Buggy, the damage done to the Merry]) so it's really best to watch it from the start, even if it has a bit of a slow start and a large time commitment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
For me, long-running series tend to get tiresome after a certain point. For anime, it is about 50 episodes. For manga, it is about 40 volumes. For fan fiction, it is about 150,000 words. For novels, it is about 500 pages. The ideal length is about half for all of those. I value good conclusions, that feeling of completion and everything tying together. I value an emotional climax and wrap-up, and a strong character arc that does not drag things on. Every long-running epic has always felt too long-winded for me with too much repetition. After a while, the journey loses its splendor. Self-contained arcs can help with that but after a while if the arcs start following similar formulas then the same issues occur.

One Piece certainly sounds interesting but I doubt I could sit through it all.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
[quote="vanfanel"]
kawaiibunny3 wrote:

I wonder how the folks at Ghibli feel about Hosoda now. As their star is setting his is still rising, and he may well inherit Miyazaki's mantle as Japan's premiere director of big-budget family anime -- even without taking over Studio Ghibli.

Hosoda's become quite popular and respected, probably at the forefront of acclaim for currently active family anime film direction. There's no denying that he's had an impact over here in Japan; most people have heard of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children, even if they haven't actually seen the movies. But I don't think his popularity or fame can really be considered Ghibli-level at all yet. Ghibli is such a pervasive aspect of pop culture here, with 22 films (all but perhaps one of which are household-names), 6 years where a Ghibli film had the biggest box office of all films in Japan, with Princess Mononoke briefly being the most successful film of all time in the country, and Spirited Away still being the most successful film in Japanese history. Without Miyazaki the two newer films may not have pulled in as much money, but they've still made an impact, and even if Ghibli never makes another film the indelible cultural effect Ghibli's films have had aren't going away any time soon. Schools here still regularly play songs from Totoro over the loudspeakers on a daily basis; town offices have piano melodies from Ghibli films playing quietly in the background. I don't think Miyazaki or Takahata or even Suzuki are feeling especially threatened by Hosoda's success; they're all pretty much retired and can rest on their laurels as the most successful and important anime film company in our modern day. Hosoda will hopefully continue to be successful and create great films, but I don't think he'll be outshining the Ghibli or Miyazaki legacy any time soon.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
@leafyseadragon

Aokiji put the fear of god in them to be sure, but they got away.

Rob Lucci sent Luffy and Zoro flying and that was it.

Baron took out everyone but Luffy and gave him a real run for his money. I realize my wording could have been clearer (he didn't win, obviously), but Baron still holds the high score in fighting the Straw Hats Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3