• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Noragami Anime English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
For those of you who've watched the series, I was thinking about getting it for my middle school's anime club. I can show up to PG-13 stuff, but it can't have tons of fan service or extreme violence. I've heard great things about Noragami, but is there a lot of T&A or extreme violence?

Thanks!

The only violence at least for now is mostly on spirits and spectres, almost never (at least visually) on human-looking characters, it does get rougher on the end and most likely on the next season, but nothing a 13 yo can't stomach.

And the fanservice (in the sense of panty-shots, focusing on breasts, etc.) is extremely low, the only fanservice-ish tone would be Bishamonten's kind of revealing clothes but nothing the anime or the manga focus on and one scene in which two characters awkwardly sleep together. So yeah, I think it'd be just fine.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

The only violence at least for now is mostly on spirits and spectres....

And the fanservice (in the sense of panty-shots, focusing on breasts, etc.) is extremely low...So yeah, I think it'd be just fine.

Thank you!!!
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I've always been unimpressed by english dubs. Subs are the way to go for me.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:
@GokuMew2 Voice acting is not about being natural. It's about being believable enough to fit a character. As a person who loathes comparisons between JP VAs and English VAs, I shall not make one, however, given that many Japanese VAs admit that overacting is common in the bulk of anime, it shouldn't be an issue.

After all, nobody in real life uses the Japanese displayed in a shonen anime. It would be considered rude, due to the amount of slang, abbreviations and inflection. Using copulas such as "ze" and "ore" in Japan is an indication to what kind of person you are. Although terms like "yarou" are not as harsh as the English "bastard" or "jerk" or "f*cker" they are still considered to be rude.

Naturalism is the last thing you want in anime. That's precisely why I dislike any language version of Ghibli movies. Too naturalistic, but not believable in the slightest.

Besides, it's a trailer. Trailers with few exceptions generally don't give the full picture of a show or movie. After all, I though GITS Innocence was an action movie back in 2003. I realized it was more of an artsy, visual composition than it was an action movie. I know from what posts I've read of yours that you're more of a Japanese fan. No problem with that. Completely respectful view. However, if you're going to judge something, at least watch a few episodes of the dub. If you don't like it, fine, whatever. You wasted your time. However, it's always best to look at something for what it is than what it is not. I know this as a semi-Catholic apologist. You always have people looking for something when it's not there or twisting the context of something. Just try it out and see for yourself.

I did not want to go into a real comparison which is why I kept my comment SHORT on purpose and also inserted phrases like "personally." It is my PERSONAL opinion that most dubs do not sound "believable." By "natural," I meant that the lines flow and that the character sounds like someone could possibly sound like that without it being forced. I consider good acting to be when you can't tell the person is acting. (Not saying that this was bad, but I personally didn't find it "believable," which seems to be your main criteria.) It's not about the contents of the lines being read; it is how those contents are delivered.

I think it is perfectly fair to make initial judgments from a trailer. It's like watching a movie trailer... Producers have less than a minute to grab the audience and convince them that it's something worth watching in full. A good trailer was Kill la Kill. It wasn't a series on my to-buy list so I didn't watch a full episode dubbed, but the trailer was enough to grab my attention and the acting in that seemed rather good. The acting in non-Japanese animated features like Disney and Pixar are generally very good as well, imo.

Yes, I like Japanese seiyuu, but that doesn't mean I like everyone blindly. There are some seiyuu whose acting I think still needs some work, like Ono Kenshou. He's good when it comes to expressionless characters like Kuroko, but when he has to display emotion, yeah... I think he still has some growing to do as a voice actor. I find his deliveries to be rather flat. (She's not a seiyuu by trade, but that SKE chick that play's Kagami's sister in Denpa Kyoushi is horrible. She's totally just reading the lines.)

Anyway, just because I said I didn't like the dub, it is not without proper reason. It was not a blind opinion as you seem to think.

(Just fixed some typos and made a few clarifications.)

Last edited by crosswithyou on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
IxvSakuravXI wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
YES!! So called Jason Liebrecht for Yato! Preordering the first chance I get.

Right?? its so perfect I literally fangirled when i read the article loll. Liebrecht is so perfect for this character. So, so perfect.

I've been a fan of Liebrecht ever since Darker Than Black, and seeing he hasn't been a lead role since Eden of East, I had my fingers crossed on this one. And lo and behold!

Yeah, he was great in DTB.

Cast looks great.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
totally pre-ordering, it's not even a question. And season 2? I must have been hiding under a rock the last several months because I had no idea, practically fangirled right out of my pants, can-not-wait!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
GalicianNightmare wrote:

@GokuMew2 Voice acting is not about being natural. It's about being believable enough to fit a character. As a person who loathes comparisons between JP VAs and English VAs, I shall not make one, however, given that many Japanese VAs admit that overacting is common in the bulk of anime, it shouldn't be an issue.

Much of anime are fantastical and caricatures, meaning people don't really talk like that in real life. But these make for better animated visuals, while the more subtle natural acting works better for live-action.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

Uh, okay? Thanks for stopping by? Confused
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:

If you're always going to be disappointed, why comment? There's no point on commenting since you're always going to be disappointed. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Saves you disappointment.

@GokuMew2 Thank you for your opinions. I mostly disagree, but they were offered in a polite manner.

Because of who I am (a dark skinned Celt, who comes from places where three very related languages are spoken and three cultures meet) I suppose I'm significantly more tolerant on dubs and the like. Granted, the Portuguese aren't generally tolerant of dubs, but the Spanish, including Galicians are, I suppose. I suppose I like to hear things in different ways, because I grew up speaking different 4 languages. I can accommodate difference to the point of defensiveness.

If I seem defensive, I'm sorry. I've always been defensive of dubs. I don't like comparisons. Why compare what is not the same? I can't even compare Portuguese and its sister languages, Galician and Spanish. They may seem the same, but when you realize that Galician has aspects closer to Spanish than Portuguese and that pronunciation is different, I can't really see how you can compare.

I don't know how believable acting sounds in Japanese. I can barely speak enough Japanese to satisfy a 3 year old. I may like the sound of some VAs, but I watch the original language mainly out of respect of an anime's origins. However, what is believable in Japanese is not believable in English and vice versa. I can't recall a single anime in Japanese where foreign accents were attempted. Granted, some may question the accent ability of many English VAs/roles, but in perhaps the only direct comparison I will ever make, the former is obviously better than the latter, in as much as the latter never even attempts to try. I think there's a taboo against that in Japan. That's already one reason why comparing and contrasting is rather silly.

What is "good" delivery to a Japanese may be horrible to English and vice versa. Japanese is a much more tempo language than English, hence why it is faster. So although many people may not like how "slow" some English VAs dub, it can't be helped if the goal is to match the mouth flaps as close as possible.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Uh, okay? Thanks for stopping by? Confused

No problem, man. Cool
himesaminako

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
Was I the only one who thought Yato sounded awful? Sounds like a middle aged man. The voice wasn't bad but it just didn't suit Yato's character to me. Hiyori sounded cute/nice, but some of her line deliveries seemed off. Everyone else sounded O.K.

Also that electronic synth music or whatever it was was horrible and didn't fit the tone of the show or the trailer at all. The composition was a mess and sounded like some guy was just mashing keys on a keyboard. It was definitely too loud too which annoyed me even more.
Aisama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Mmm... First impression from trailer, everyone sounds good to me except for Yato and Yukine. Yukine sounded a little too old for a kid, and that tones in Yato's voice, particularly when he scream and shout, just doesn't rub me right. Though he sounds ok and quite sexy when he just talk. Might need some getting used to for those two for me.

Anyhow, I'm most thrill for the release! I'm just happy it's getting a release because now I can finally buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2