• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Sequel Spinoff Manga to Run in Viz's Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
OMGitsAIAS wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
I hope the manga fails.

Why all this hate. Seriously. Is anyone forcing you read it....

I know that no one is forcing to read it and is mainly from my upset NaruSaku self.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
OMGitsAIAS wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
I hope the manga fails.

Why all this hate. Seriously. Is anyone forcing you read it....

I know that no one is forcing to read it and is mainly from my upset NaruSaku self.

you have issue.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Of course this would've been in Viz's Shonen Jump. Western readers are so desperate for anything Naruto that Black Clover, a pretty blatant Naruto rip-off, has been put into the magazine.

Viz wouldn't pass up an opportunity to put the backbone of the magazine back in with new content.
Tajima

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:

Gotta respect mangakas that have sufficient vision, talent, confidence and pride to leave behind a very popular series to try something new and succeed, thou, those fall in the land of geniuses, so not easy. But if a series big enough like Nartuo was created the magaka can very well semi-retire in a high note and do other projects instead.

No shit. Few mangaka in Japan reach the level of fame Kishi did with Naruto. He basically made a name for himself in history with his very first series.

He'd be retarded to not milk it to the end.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Tajima, it depends on how you define "milking". I think running over 15 years in a mag is milking it.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos, would you say the same about One Piece or a series like Berserk?

Personally I don't mind if there is a spin off, I much perfer if something is left alone, at least for a year or two but everyone has to make a living.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is so very popular that I'm sure Kishimoto could retire and live comfortably for the rest of his life with royalties money flowing in. I think it IS milking it. Two things though: I don't think milking something is necessarily a bad thing (Pokémon and Peanuts get milked like crazy, and they never affected the quality of their source material), and I think this was Shueisha's decision, not Kishimoto's.

Most series in Shonen Jump end because they've become unpopular whereas Naruto remained popular until the very end, and Shueisha wanted more. If Kishimoto was not going to do it, Shueisha would've gotten someone else. Kazuki Takahashi didn't want to do any more Yu-Gi-Oh!, for instance, so they got his assistants to make Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. Then Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's. Then Yu-Gi-Oh! R. Then Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXaL.

I still stand by my hypothesis that Masashi Kishimoto's one-shots towards the end of Naruto meant he wanted to draw something other than Naruto and was getting bored of it.
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

Why do people keep saying this? It's not even getting the cover in Japanese WSJ in its premiere issue. The publishers as well as the author insist that it will be a limited series I'd imagine 3-4 months tops since they said until summer.

it is not getting the cover? I was thinking Naruto and One Piece will share the Japanese WSJ cover this week (Naruto returns and most hyped chapter of One Piece) also there will be a dialogue between Kishimoto and Oda
Tajima

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
_Darkblondie_ wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

Why do people keep saying this? It's not even getting the cover in Japanese WSJ in its premiere issue. The publishers as well as the author insist that it will be a limited series I'd imagine 3-4 months tops since they said until summer.

it is not getting the cover? I was thinking Naruto and One Piece will share the Japanese WSJ cover this week (Naruto returns and most hyped chapter of One Piece) also there will be a dialogue between Kishimoto and Oda

I'd be surprised if Naruto wasn't on the cover somewhere.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Kadmos, would you say the same about One Piece or a series like Berserk?

Personally I don't mind if there is a spin off, I much perfer if something is left alone, at least for a year or two but everyone has to make a living.

While I don't read them, I would say yes. While I am fine with spin-offs in general (depending on the series), I am saying I hope that this spin-off fails because of the lack of a NaruSaku ending and how Kishi did a rather controversial ending.
Tajima

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

While I don't read them, I would say yes. While I am fine with spin-offs in general (depending on the series), I am saying I hope that this spin-off fails because of the lack of a NaruSaku ending and how Kishi did a rather controversial ending.

It won't fail.

NaruSaku will never happen.

The ending was not "controversial".
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

Depending on how you view it was.

- Naruto & Sasuke's highly anticipated fight ending in a draw.
- The story jumping ahead years after the war, with the fates of certain characters and other aspects being left vague.

All those other complaints

- Sasuke deciding to walk the earth, rather than be punished for certain things he did (and didn't do) over the course of the series.

- The Kohoha 11 hooking up in and outside of their circle.

- Kakashi's face not being revealed.

- Gai being relegated to a wheelchair.

- Naruto honoring Neji by naming his son Bolt.

- The Last being an interquel to solidfy Naruto and Hinata's relationship.

Are just people being petty and bitter.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Popular and long manga only end when the artist dies. I expect to see AMG make a comeback within a few years as well. These comics are their livelihood unless they got some sweet royalties in their contracts (doubt it).
Sinbad96

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Zelgadis_Knight wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:
like beating a dead horse...

Dead? It more like miking an cash cow dry, since Naruto is still popular Razz

but the cow is no where near dry. he last naruto is the best selling Naruto movie ever.

You don't seem to understand what that mean. Basically, shounen jump is keeping the series going on when it should end already. Cashing in on the money.
Sinbad96

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tajima wrote:

Depending on how you view it was.

- Naruto & Sasuke's highly anticipated fight ending in a draw.
- The story jumping ahead years after the war, with the fates of certain characters and other aspects being left vague.

All those other complaints

- Sasuke deciding to walk the earth, rather than be punished for certain things he did (and didn't do) over the course of the series.

- The Kohoha 11 hooking up in and outside of their circle.

- Kakashi's face not being revealed.

- Gai being relegated to a wheelchair.

- Naruto honoring Neji by naming his son Bolt.

- The Last being an interquel to solidfy Naruto and Hinata's relationship.

Are just people being petty and bitter.

He ended the Naruto with the theme. Everybody is happy!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3