Forum - View topic
The X Button - Zest for Life


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kaioshin_Sama



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 1215
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one that immediately thinks of Persona when seeing and hearing a description of Tokyo Xanadu?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
B00m23



Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
It really, really irritates me that people are constantly comparing Tokyo Xanadu with Persona. So, if an rpg is set in modern Tokyo, features high school students, features school life elements, and features supernatural elements it's automatically a Persona rip-off? Ugh. Also, it weirds me out that otome visual novels are considered games, as it's literally just reading and selecting choices(especially Amnesia). I fail to see any "play" in that description.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Via_01



Joined: 24 Aug 2014
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
It really, really irritates me that people are constantly comparing Tokyo Xanadu with Persona. So, if an rpg is set in modern Tokyo, features high school students, features school life elements, and features supernatural elements it's automatically a Persona rip-off? Ugh. Also, it weirds me out that otome visual novels are considered games, as it's literally just reading and selecting choices(especially Amnesia). I fail to see any "play" in that description.


I prefer the term Shin Megami Tensei ripoff... Though I know it's not that. It’s just really hard not to compare the two, as the similarities ARE there, and Xanadu probably does take some influence from SMT.

And about visual novels (not just otome)... I consider them games because they are an interactive piece of software that requires of player input to further advance a story, and the player can affect the outcome with his choices,
so it's technically a game... Just technically. It simply doesn’t fall on any other category.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 2328
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Bravely Second shipped today, I can't wait to play it.

Tokyo Xanadu is getting better and better as the information trickles in, it has the potential to be a GOTY candidate along with Bravely Second.

There's also more great gaming news on the Neptunia side of things.

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/hyperdimension-war-neptunia-vs-sega-hard-girls-introduces-original-protagonist

Also, Girlfriend (Kari) has a game for the Vita for the summer, but it won't let me date Matsuri so no thanks. Why only have 8 girls that are datable in a game that has almost 8x as many is puzzling by me. I didn't say have all of them but have at least 20-25 available to appease as many fans as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redcar



Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 149
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
I prefer the term Shin Megami Tensei ripoff... Though I know it's not that. It’s just really hard not to compare the two, as the similarities ARE there, and Xanadu probably does take some influence from SMT.

Yeah, if anything that key art for Tokyo Xanadu reminds me of Devil Survivor 2, what with the focus on pulling magical things out of cellphones. That being said, it does look good, though I'd rather XSEED localize more Legend of Heroes first if we're talking about western releases.

As for Zestiria, I'm definitely looking forward to it, despite the issues that game has had. They can take as long as they want to localize it, so long as it's well-polished. On the topic of things that make it unique among Tales games, it seems Go Shiina is back on the job composing with Sakuraba, to a seemingly fine degree of success. Overall I feel like it'll probably be a good time, as long as it's more of a complete game than either of the Xillias Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B00m23



Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Did you guys happen to see gameplay footage? Xanadu's combat looks fun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guile



Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 483
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
B00m23 wrote:
Also, it weirds me out that otome visual novels are considered games, as it's literally just reading and selecting choices(especially Amnesia). I fail to see any "play" in that description.


Visual novels are more games than those Tellgame adventure games at least. Your choices and decisions in visual novels matter and there's multiple different routes and endings to end up in, just like one of those old choose your own adventure books. At least as far as Walking Dead is concerned the ending was always the same and it was just a choice of "Do you want this character to die now or do you want them to die later?" which seemed pretty weak. If those games are considered games, then visual novels definitely should be considered games as they have more consequences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B00m23



Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
B00m23 wrote:
Also, it weirds me out that otome visual novels are considered games, as it's literally just reading and selecting choices(especially Amnesia). I fail to see any "play" in that description.


Visual novels are more games than those Tellgame adventure games at least. Your choices and decisions in visual novels matter and there's multiple different routes and endings to end up in, just like one of those old choose your own adventure books. At least as far as Walking Dead is concerned the ending was always the same and it was just a choice of "Do you want this character to die now or do you want them to die later?" which seemed pretty weak. If those games are considered games, then visual novels definitely should be considered games as they have more consequences.


Like I said, I simply don't consider something that consists solely of reading to be a game. It's my distinction, and I understand that many will disagree with me. But, can it really be argued that Umineko and Higurashi are games? Both of those titles feature zero choices, and only reading. Many people describe their experience with these titles as "playing"; which, again, is very odd for me to read/hear. But, whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doctordoom85



Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 1889
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
B00m23 wrote:
Also, it weirds me out that otome visual novels are considered games, as it's literally just reading and selecting choices(especially Amnesia). I fail to see any "play" in that description.


Visual novels are more games than those Tellgame adventure games at least. Your choices and decisions in visual novels matter and there's multiple different routes and endings to end up in, just like one of those old choose your own adventure books. At least as far as Walking Dead is concerned the ending was always the same and it was just a choice of "Do you want this character to die now or do you want them to die later?" which seemed pretty weak. If those games are considered games, then visual novels definitely should be considered games as they have more consequences.


That's only true for Season 1 of TWD. Season 2 is a completely different matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B00m23



Joined: 19 Oct 2014
Posts: 59
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote="B00m23"]
Guile wrote:
B00m23 wrote:
Also, it weirds me out that otome visual novels are considered games, as it's literally just reading and selecting choices(especially Amnesia). I fail to see any "play" in that description.


Visual novels are more games than those Tellgame adventure games at least. Your choices and decisions in visual novels matter and there's multiple different routes and endings to end up in, just like one of those old choose your own adventure books. At least as far as Walking Dead is concerned the ending was always the same and it was just a choice of "Do you want this character to die now or do you want them to die later?" which seemed pretty weak. If those games are considered games, then visual novels definitely should be considered games as they have more consequences.


Like I said, I simply don't consider something that consists solely of reading to be a game. It's my distinction, and I understand that many will disagree with me. But, can it really be argued that something like Umineko and Higurashi are games? Both of those titles feature zero choices, and only reading. Many people describe their experience with these titles as "playing"; which, again, is very odd for me to read/hear. But, whatever. Now, if we're talking about something like Utawarerumono or Tears to Tiara, that actually feature battles; that's a different matter entirely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
se37



Joined: 08 Dec 2007
Posts: 221
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
redcar wrote:

As for Zestiria, I'm definitely looking forward to it, despite the issues that game has had. They can take as long as they want to localize it, so long as it's well-polished. On the topic of things that make it unique among Tales games, it seems Go Shiina is back on the job composing with Sakuraba, to a seemingly fine degree of success. Overall I feel like it'll probably be a good time, as long as it's more of a complete game than either of the Xillias Confused


The only main "problem" Zestiria had was the fans crying about Alisha is not a main member of the party and the awful DLC they had for her. From what my sister told me (who has played the game and lurks on Japanese forums), all it was that a bunch of fanboys and otaku's got upset that she was in the promotional art and not a full playable character. I'm really hope that it isn't a half-game like Xillia was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 3833
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I honestly want more Grandia, but given the horrible direction the series has gone in since Takeshi Miyaji, rest his soul, departed after directing Grandia I and II, it would take an amazing amount of work to revive the series at this point.

*Grandia Xtreme, while having a fantastic and seamless battle system, suffered from poor character development and a story that was just there for the sake of having one, and this was where the series started to show signs of tumbling.

*Grandia III was a blasted embarrassment to all involved; again, a great battle system with a higher difficulty than the past three games thanks to watered down stat growth, but it suffered from a story so lackluster that it's impossible not to laugh at the final boss stating "I will destroy all love!" right before you fight him. The cast was also devoid of any real interesting qualities, save for Dahna and her bitter outlook regarding the heart.

*Grandia Online's name alone tells you the series was on its way to an early grave. It was a bad idea and, surprise surprise, the servers were shut down back in 2012 due to poor reception. I saw that coming from miles away. It's the same fate that befell Tales of Eternia Online.

After all that damage done, all that remains of Grandia is making cameos that most people probably don't even get. Justin's hat appearing in Ragnarok Odyssey Ace as a piece of gear is one such pitiable example. If GungHo cares at all for what Grandia did bring to the table in the past, then it should be able to craft a Grandia IV, one that captures the positive factors of the first two games (characters and story) with all the battle system trim and polish of Xtreme and III (combination moves and air combos among other things). My vote goes to Grandia.

Tokyo Xanadu: It certainly looks awesome. I imagine it would be a good localization choice, given some folks here just love their RPGs to have lots of high speed action and over the top combos. I wonder what Ys would be like if it became just as frenetic (though the series's later installments are definitely frenetic enough).

Godzilla: We always need more of our favorite giant monster here. No questions asked.

Tales of Zestiria: I know the game's Japanese version has earned all kinds of ire. I joke about how the Alisha incident will go down in Tales history as one of the biggest "tragedies" in the series (it really wasn't a "tragedy" at all in my opinion when you consider how the series messes with typical JRPG tropes, but you know how fans blow things out of proportion). I've been told that Rose is considered an unacceptable replacement for Alisha. I've been told the battle system doesn't seem to be as exciting as merging with divine beings sounds like it should be. But despite all the complaints, I'm still going to play it and judge the game for myself.

Quote:
Oh, and lots of newly coined, perplexing fantasy terms like exsphere and spyrix and bodhi blastia.


In every Tales game, it's never hard to remember the made up terms they use, yet you call it perplexing. I'm not sure why you keep bringing this and the characters' names up every time a Tales game is set for localization.

se37 wrote:
From what my sister told me (who has played the game and lurks on Japanese forums), all it was that a bunch of fanboys and otaku's got upset that she was in the promotional art and not a full playable character. I'm really hope that it isn't a half-game like Xillia was.


To quote a very amusing post on AbyssalChronicles: "I bet those Japanese gamers who complained intensely are all males who didn't get to ogle Alisha in different costumes enough." XD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 4543
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:


The only main "problem" Zestiria had was the fans crying about Alisha is not a main member of the party and the awful DLC they had for her. From what my sister told me (who has played the game and lurks on Japanese forums), all it was that a bunch of fanboys and otaku's got upset that she was in the promotional art and not a full playable character. I'm really hope that it isn't a half-game like Xillia was.


I'm curious. How was Alisha handled in the story? If she was still important in the grand scheme of things or pulled the "traitor" card found in most Tales series, then yeah I can see their reactions to be silly. If they shoved her aside sloppily, then I can see where they come from.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ani12



Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
se37 wrote:


The only main "problem" Zestiria had was the fans crying about Alisha is not a main member of the party and the awful DLC they had for her. From what my sister told me (who has played the game and lurks on Japanese forums), all it was that a bunch of fanboys and otaku's got upset that she was in the promotional art and not a full playable character. I'm really hope that it isn't a half-game like Xillia was.


I'm curious. How was Alisha handled in the story? If she was still important in the grand scheme of things or pulled the "traitor" card found in most Tales series, then yeah I can see their reactions to be silly. If they shoved her aside sloppily, then I can see where they come from.


spoiler[From what I've heard, she leaves on her own after a while because she had to borrow Sorey's power to see the Seraphim, which was having a bad effect on him, plus she had her own goal of reforming the kingdom, and it required her to split up with the party(why, I guess we'll see).]

This whole Alisha thing should be considered a spoiler, but I guess not anymore. <.<

Whatever this game does, I'd say decide it's quality on your own, ignoring the more intense reactions to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
toddc



Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Posts: 162
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:


Quote:
Oh, and lots of newly coined, perplexing fantasy terms like exsphere and spyrix and bodhi blastia.


In every Tales game, it's never hard to remember the made up terms they use, yet you call it perplexing. I'm not sure why you keep bringing this and the characters' names up every time a Tales game is set for localization.


Hey now, I didn't make fun of character names this time around! And they're pretty normal fantasy names in Zesitira, too.

I think the sci-fantasy vocabulary is a tradition for many Tales games, and it's a symbol of how they tend to wrap themselves too tightly in mystical concepts toward the end. It's like Final Fantasy's predilection for crystals and people named Cid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group