• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you prefer English titles for listing of shows or Romaji titles?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
English. Most of those Japanese titles go in one ear and out the other, and I never remember them, unless of course I use it lot or it doesn't have an English title and forces me to remember the Japanese one out of necessity.

If I'm listing it like say...recommending it to someone I default to whatever the English licenser had called it, so that they can find it easier. After all, how someone searching a shelf at Best Buy looking for "Mirai Nikki" going to find Future Diary, otherwise.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Frankly, I find it annoying when people continue to insist on using the romaji titles even long after an official and widely-accepted English title has been established. I still occasionally run across people who call Neon Genesis Evangelion "Shin Shikei Evangelion," for instance.
Same here. I can understand sticking to Japanese titles where the English titles are not straightforward or logical translations, like Rumbling Hearts, Ah My Buddha, Living for the Day After Tomorrow, Shattered Angels, and the like. But the people who insist that titles like Kino's Journey, Allison and Lillia, Strawberry Marshmallow, or Please Teacher/Twins are unacceptable localizations are either insufferable purists, or people who just memorize romaji titles without actually understanding them. "I don't know what Familiar of Zero is, I've never heard of that show, but I've seen all four seasons of Zero no Tsukaima."

dtm42 wrote:
If I watch an old fansub then I'll probably call the show by its Japanese name, even if an English name now exists.
Interestingly, when a more liberal group released the show known in romaji as Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ##.avi, people were just fine with it, though perhaps they used The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi instead. In an attempt to move the needle a bit, I've deliberately used existing titles or invented new English titles for some of my own fansub releases.

Night fox wrote:
Personally I just use the title I like best, which in most cases is the version I first heard of; e.g. I immediately recognize the show Nagi no Asukara, but A Lull in the Sea? What's that? Laughing
"Nagi" does mean "lull," which I picked up from watching the show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I still occasionally run across people who call Neon Genesis Evangelion "Shin Shikei Evangelion," for instance.

Likely this is because Neon Genesis Evangelion is broken Engrish at its worst and doesn't at all depict the actual name from the Japanese title, which would be closer to 'New Century Gospel'. Granted practically everyone calls it Eva or Evangelion, so this rarely ever comes up.

For me, I'll switch between the two. Though if an English title is just unbearable (like My Bride is a Mermaid) then I'll just stick with the original title in roomaji.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
English for me

Place to Place
The Irregular at Magic High School
The Squid Girl
Valvrave the Liberator
Chrome Shelled Regios
Black Butler
The Darker Descendant
The Melody of Oblivion

You name it Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Romaji.

But I have an affinity for the Japanese language so......yeah. I won't yell at you if you use the English title though because the romaji ones can be quite a mouthful. Anime hyper

"Hagane no Renkinjutsushi"......yeah, most people can't even pronounce that! In that case, I use "FMA". It's easy and immediately recognized.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Mostly it comes down to which name ended up being the one I knew it as; it's a pain to have to see another title and have to recognize it as one I already know under another name or hunt down a title by an alternate(on MAL I have to locate some of my shows just by one word because I can't memorize two oversized titles). I don't tend to refuse titles on principle(though Akuma no Riddle stays in Japanese, because the English title is beyond ridiculous) and about the only one listed under English that didn't take I can think of is Nichijou(where it's plastered all over the place to the point where you wonder why they bothered with an English title).
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
Drizzy_Dan wrote:
I know ANN uses English titles as often as possible and that actually makes it kind of hard for me to add shows to my list when I only know the Romaji titles. I've actually grown to prefer the Romaji titles myself over English titles.

English titles. The japanese title or its romanji version are useless to me since they convey no meaning at all. So I definitely prefer a translated english title (with the original japanese title between parenthesis).
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
So, Naruto Shippuden is actually known as Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles in the English-speaking world? Well that certainly makes alot more sense... or maybe not? After having seen more than 400 episodes of the show, people must have given up hope of ever finding out what that hurricane business is all about. Laughing
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
So, Naruto Shippuden is actually known as Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles in the English-speaking world?

I did not know that.
I have never seen the show, but I have encountered a lot of advertisements and discussions and have never seen anything other than "shippuden" until now.
I have been able to confirm that "hurricane chronicles" is the translation, but does anybody use that as the title?

As for the question about the listings.
As I said in an earlier post I prefer that the listings use whatever title the North American release is using, because that is what I will be watching.
What title the release should use is really a different topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
I also forget the romaji titles a lot, I think that if you don't speak the language remembering sounds you don't understand the meaning is way harder than remembering the words in a language you understand. So I use the titles that are understood by both North and South Americans usually (which is the English language title most of the time).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
You do know that you can search by the romaji title and it'll show up in the search results, right?

For example, Weiß Kreuz (Japanese title). Searching for "Weiß Kreuz" or "Weiss Kreuz" ("ß" can also be written as "ss") will pull up the TV series, the manga, the OAV, and the sequel TV series (Weiß Kreuz will also pull up the Side B manga. I'll need to add the "ss" version as an alternate title). The official international title for the series is "Knight Hunters," as you can see from the 2 TV series (the only ones available in English).

So if you're having problems finding titles, just do a search. It's faster than browsing the listings anyway.

Both "Weiß Kreuz" and "Weiss Kreuz" are German titles. Laughing

Nah, but I prefer the English titles. I happen to find Japanese to be a rather beautiful language, but it is a lot easier for an monolingual English-speaker such as myself to remember and search for an English title than a Japanese one. Granted, some Japanese titles (Shakugan no Shana, Nagi no Asukara, &c.) are relatively simple, but some are just...too much. It gets annoying in the Anime forum sometimes because the titles of the series discussion threads are not always updated appropriately, leaving me rather lost, and it's hard enough to find a thread via the search function as it is.

Night fox wrote:
So, Naruto Shippuden is actually known as Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles in the English-speaking world? Well that certainly makes alot more sense... or maybe not? After having seen more than 400 episodes of the show, people must have given up hope of ever finding out what that hurricane business is all about. Laughing

No, it's still officially titled, "Naruto: Shippuden", as far as I know. "[The] Hurricane Chronicles" is what that roughly translates to, yes, but, like a number of notable anime (again, Shakugan no Shana and the like), the English licencors and distributors opted to retain the Romaji title. I guess maybe they decided it flowed better or something.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
If the show is legally available in North America, either streaming or on disk, I want the title used for that purpose. If a show previously streamed under one title is now available on disk, I would prefer the title for the disk version. This makes it easier to find a show.

If it is not legally available here, I have no preference.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I think the reason why some titles never get translated, while others do, has a lot to do with how nicely the Japanese name flows when spoken by a native English speaker. Shakugan no Shana and Kaze no Stigma are two good examples of this, and "Shippuden" is just easier to say than "The Hurricane Chronicles."

Last edited by Key on Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
English please, ofc unless the japanese is pretty simple and widely used. Japanese only on MyAnimeList drove me crazy when my friend pushed my to do one. "Wtf is Kurenai no Buta? Oh Porco Rosso."
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 am Reply with quote
^ Interesting that Porco Rosso is considered the English version of the name. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3