• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2015 Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
More news about videogames would be amazing. I'd really love if you guys did a review of a japanese DVD/BD, at least for those shows that have not been licensed here in America, like Hyouka or Higurashi kai, the 2nd season of the series or others. I know it would be hard to do that, but knowing your opinion on those shows would be great.

Anyway, you are doing a great job with this site.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the amount of reported news is in overabundance. Scrolling though a ton of articles of some random people getting married or pregnant is a nuisance just to get to an actual anime related post.

Also, I have the layout without any images/thumbnails but the big spotlights at the top of the page are impossible to turn off and are an inconvenience since it slows down my computer.

Also I guess the people that work for you could be a little nicer to the site members in the forums, but I suppose that's too much to ask for..Otherwise everything is fine.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I believe there is a setting which allows you to not see interest articles on the home page, but I don't know where it is.

Also, you forgot to include Anime Limited in the favourite company list. Totally would've voted for them if you had.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The articles he mentions (pregnancy, marriage) are usually posted in news but you're right that you can turn off or select only certain feeds on the front page. It's a bar that reads "All - News - Interest - Reviews - Anime - Manga..." etc. It's directly under the large header but above the date.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Product announcement post threads need less shilling.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I wish you could split interest into interest articles that matter and useless filler. At least you're not full of "We Want More Money" Clickbait yet.
TotalPotato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I like the episode-by-episode reviews, but what I don't like is coming to the site not having caught up on the latest episode yet, then seeing a little titbit on the front page that will spoil something. Now, I'm using the term "spoil" here, but to ANN's credit, the spoilers are usually extremely minor. Nonetheless, it has an impact on my experience as an anime watcher, and I would appreciate some way of knowing when there's a new episode review for a series without getting any episode-specific information before I click on anything.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wish you could split interest into interest articles that matter and useless filler. At least you're not full of "We Want More Money" Clickbait yet.

Can you give some examples on with interest articles you don't find interesting? I'm taking note of input on that by readers so it'll help the section a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the poll itself, some of the questions have *extremely* odd possible answers; someone should really go over the poll text closely. (For example, possible hobbies include "drinking" and "girls", one of the possible anime sites was a totally irrelevant joke twitter account, etc.)

Regarding the mechanics of the site, the major thing that bugs me is the advertising skins that make the entire right and left edges of the screen into clickable links; if you have multiple browser windows open and want to shift focus back to the window with ANN, you have to be very careful about how you click on it or you will end up connecting to the advertiser's site rather than just foregrounding the window. I don't know how hard it would be to make the "live" part of these skins restricted to the images, rather than have it run all the way down?

Regarding content, the thing I would most like to see is at least a mention of *all* newly available / continuing streaming series in the Preview Guide, even if they aren't significant enough to justify reviews. I know Zac has said that posts on the short-short series in particular gather no reader interest, but I look to ANN in part to let me know what exists, not just what might be popular. Perhaps there could be a Preview Guide page for "Other" with a listing of series that are available but aren't getting individual writeups, even if it's just a bare list of the title and streaming site(s).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I kind of enjoyed the survey, but I'm surprised there were no options for N/A. In other words there are questions that may apply to those that may participate in what they're asking, but there is no option for those that don't or minor involvement. So you end up having to pick an answer just to continue with the survey. Like, I have no plans of buying anything. Because I've done it. I'm surprised there was no entry for what type of equipment do you own to watch your anime. As for favorite sites, ANN is what I view day in and day out. Before I even discovered ANN I had numerous sites to visit for news but it wasn't religious devotion. Just a visit here a visit there depending on what I wanted to look up. I was mostly on gaming sites. Now most of those anime sites are "dead" links. After discovering ANN I've found it to be easier to look up news on the latest shows, news articles, manga reviews, vintage media, con reports, license announcements, the encyclopedia, game reviews, community (which has been very helpful in their suggestions and recommendations), etc...

Of course I hate when you have a question where it's seems it's for multiple interest but you can only pick ONE.

But other than that I look forward to ANN applying the feedback given.
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
What's the deal with the poor rollout of a newer version of the "My Anime" feature and keeping it that way? I'm surprised that such a large feature of this website was not even mentioned in the survey.

The newer version has been in beta for too long with seemingly no change, despite the number of problems it has. I don't know how many of us have been captured by it, but it's kinda hard to go back to the older one once you've been updating the newer, making it even more of a pain.

Problems with the newer:
- No integration with the rest of the site, like the older
- Some aired movies have a zero duration, so you can never mark them as "seen all"
- Search often never completes or doesn't start
- Plenty of niggly UI usability issues

Animenewsnetwork is great otherwise, thanks for doing it, but this large feature being left as poor is quite a sticking point.
tuklaw324

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Please bring back Right Turn Only or at least have a frequent ANNcast with Super Manga Pals. I discovered a lot of really good manga because of these two.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
With the ever growing popularity of Light Novels and (thanks to) their anime adaptations, I'm looking forward to more LN coverage.
Interviews with LN authors sound great too.

(I've got to say this since the options in the survey mostly listed only for anime or manga, only found one LN option which is clustered with VN)

Anyway, I also voted for the behind the scene of anime productions. You know, it'll be interesting to have a sort of Shirobako columns. Or more coverage on people behind the anime productions: well-known animators, anime directors, art-designers, writers, composers, mecha-designers, etc.
Study on sakuga animation also seems very interesting.

And with many anime studios started to identify themselves with certain distinctive style, would be great to learn about each of them too.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
For anime and manga purchased, do you mean items/volumes or series? For anime, the difference is not so big since most are 1 cour and 1 volume (except for Aniplex) but for manga there's a big difference.

For the viewing preference, I'm probably in the minority, but I just want to throw out there that Fansubs/Rips are not mutually exclusive with those who also buy and stream. Despite buying a lot of BDs and some DVDs, I still chose Fansubs/Rips because I rip, store and view via PC anyways, and I realized that I'd save a ton of time just to download and use my discs only for some extras.

Regarding what we'd like to see, one of the options was animation process. I like the studio tours you had before. The behind the scenes look were great. I like your written interviews but to be honest, most are somewhat boring. There's usually some nugget of interesting info or insight though, so I still try to read through all of them. But if your interviews were video like or were combined with the studio production videos that would be awesome. I'm thinking of the kind of video extras on Japanese releases and we very rarely get. I suppose that would be paid/licensing thing?

Also, is Astro Toy still going on? Japanese video games, certainly any related to anime/manga has good coverage and so do quirky merchandise, but Figure news and reviews seems to be lacking entirely.

Ambimunch wrote:
In my opinion the amount of reported news is in overabundance. Scrolling though a ton of articles of some random people getting married or pregnant is a nuisance just to get to an actual anime related post.

I would prefer ANN err on the side of having more News and Interest articles than less since that is primarily what gives ANN value to me. I can quickly skip over anything I'm not interested in on the front page. One way to satisfy everyone would be to have more granular categorization that can be added to the filters, like what type of News.

lebrel wrote:
Regarding the mechanics of the site, the major thing that bugs me is the advertising skins that make the entire right and left edges of the screen into clickable links; if you have multiple browser windows open and want to shift focus back to the window with ANN, you have to be very careful about how you click on it or you will end up connecting to the advertiser's site rather than just foregrounding the window. I don't know how hard it would be to make the "live" part of these skins restricted to the images, rather than have it run all the way down?

I also would like less of the ad skin area to be active links too.. however, the current ad skins are not fully active either, only the upper half. If you scroll down to the blank areas, you can safely click there to switch windows.

Last edited by configspace on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
asckj1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Right Turn Only column brought back. I got motivated for buying many manga series by reading the reviews in that column.

Other than that, if ANN would review the anime series after they have finished airing instead of the the episode by episode analysis, it would be much meaningful.

Good job ANN team! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7