• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2015 Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
I kind of enjoyed the survey, but I'm surprised there were no options for N/A. In other words there are questions that may apply to those that may participate in what they're asking, but there is no option for those that don't or minor involvement. So you end up having to pick an answer just to continue with the survey. Like, I have no plans of buying anything. Because I've done it. I'm surprised there was no entry for what type of equipment do you own to watch your anime. As for favorite sites, ANN is what I view day in and day out. Before I even discovered ANN I had numerous sites to visit for news but it wasn't religious devotion. Just a visit here a visit there depending on what I wanted to look up. I was mostly on gaming sites. Now most of those anime sites are "dead" links. After discovering ANN I've found it to be easier to look up news on the latest shows, news articles, manga reviews, vintage media, con reports, license announcements, the encyclopedia, game reviews, community (which has been very helpful in their suggestions and recommendations), etc...

Of course I hate when you have a question where it's seems it's for multiple interest but you can only pick ONE.

But other than that I look forward to ANN applying the feedback given.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I definitely prefer keeping forums on a separate page from the article itself. I know that isn't the modern way of doing things, but I feel like comments under the article end up getting lost pretty quickly and it tends to result in people only responding to whatever comments happen to be immediately visible.

The replies on this were 50/50. We're aware of the pro/cons, so we're going to have to think really deeply about whether or not to implement this, and if so, how to minimize the cons. As it is, we haven't made a decision.

configspace wrote:
I'm not a webdev so I don't know if this is feasible. Maybe you could have single data but two displays to satisfy both? What I mean is you could keep it in the forums but have it optionally displayed/accessed in the article page, much like how you have options for some other site details.
That's very feasible, and quite easy. In fact, we already determined that, If we put the comments under the articles, it would definitely be something of this nature. The biggest concern with putting the comments under the articles however, is the way this would affect the flavor of the comments. A hybrid system would do nothing to diminish the possible increase in crap comments. We want to do this because it encourages people to comment. We don't want to do this because it encourages people to post short, almost pointless comments.

Northlander wrote:
When you do season rundowns, it would be nice if we could keep discussions about each show separate somehow. Those threads tend to rise in page numbers really quickly, and you usually cover a LOT of shows.

Good idea, I'll let Zac know.

residentgrigo wrote:
Bring Pile of Shame back first of all and not every random news item needs a separate talk-back section (as some are way too connected with each other).

This was the most requested column return. Justin's finished with that column, he doesn't want to do it anymore, but we'll look into a similar column with a different author.

Quote:
News on current anime could be liked to the forum section for the weekly reviews as the people who will participate there will probably be interested to talk about said news stories with each other and not in multiple different places.
Very interesting idea. Not something we can implement easily, but we'll keep it in mind.

Calathan wrote:
However, I was looking it over and noticed that RightStuf wasn't a choice for favorite anime company (it was listed under retailers, but not in the earlier question where the choices were licensors).
Damnit. I'm really embarrassed about that (And AnimEigo. Nothing we can do now though... I'll make certain it's there next time. Also left out the new UK companies.

Quote:
For general feedback, the thing I would most want to see is for submissions to the Encyclopedia and error reports to get processed faster.
Dan is hard at work on this.

Sped17 wrote:
I miss Anime News Nina. I would love to see that brought back, but I think a similar comic for the site would be fun.
Something is in the works. Smile

RosaBatata wrote:
I think this poll would benefit from a country option.
Don't worry, we know where you live. The survey logs that data automatically. I can see the answers broken down by country.

Bashnek wrote:
And since when is KissAnime a legal streaming service? don't they monetize fansubs?
User added. We turned off the user added option after a while because people were filling it with fansub sites. One of our staff cleaned up the list, but missed some of it. I've removed all the pirate sites.

checarlos87 wrote:
I liked the idea of bringing Brain Dive back (actually learned of the column on the survey itself). I love academic discourse on otaku culture and videogames.
We loved the column, but the readership was too low. I actually have a plan to bring back some of the columns though...

VanGosroth wrote:
Product announcement post threads need less shilling.
Could you give me an example of one of these posts?

lebrel wrote:
Regarding the poll itself, some of the questions have *extremely* odd possible answers; someone should really go over the poll text closely. (For example, possible hobbies include "drinking" and "girls", one of the possible anime sites was a totally irrelevant joke twitter account, etc.)
User submitted answers for that one are added to the list. We figured there was no possible way we could think of all the hobbies people like.

Quote:
I don't know how hard it would be to make the "live" part of these skins restricted to the images, rather than have it run all the way down?
Only the foreground images are clickable... Maybe some of the advertisers are putting a transparent image over the entire length of the page...

Chrno2 wrote:
I kind of enjoyed the survey, but I'm surprised there were no options for N/A.
From the survey introduction "For "none of the above" you can leave any question blank."

liquidblueocean wrote:
What's the deal with the poor rollout of a newer version of the "My Anime" feature and keeping it that way? I'm surprised that such a large feature of this website was not even mentioned in the survey.
Sorry. I'm not happy with this. We want to fix it, but we just don't have the resources right now.

MidoriUma wrote:
Against my better judgement, I filled out the survey. My fears appear to be well founded, as you're clearly trying to build marketing data (fortunately I use adblockers). Still, there's an off chance that you might improve the site with this data, so I'll cross my fingers.
We're very up-front about the fact that some of the data is for marketing purposes. We said it on the front page, and we said it in the intro.

Chocolate Misu wrote:

3 - ANN contests wrapped up in a timely fashion
I pretty much have to decide if we're going to stop doing contests because we just don't have the time to wrap them up on time... Sorry. Is it better late than never, or better to just not run them ?

chronos02 wrote:
I would like to see ANN in some other languages, such as French and Spanish.
Both are in the works. ANN French will be first as it is part of the AnimeLand project.

Quote:
Besides the above, I would be really pleased to have an app with notifications of when an article is released,
I should have included a question about an app in the survey. It's on the "unscehduled development" list. Ie: We plan to do it, but have not schedule for it...

Emma Iveli wrote:
After doing it, I do have one complaint: The question about going to Japan someday. There should be a third option saying "I have already been there" and the same for learning to Speak Japanese like "I have already learned".
Good point. I'll add them next time.

aquadon1963 wrote:
an additional choice in the encyclopedia / on the search for titles by genre page of ( japanese / with sub titles) OR (DUBBED in english) i understand that newer titles change from sub to dub (sometimes within months ) but with time this could be dealt with.
This will be possible with the new encyc, so I'll point it out to Dan. With the current encyc, it wouldn't work very well. (You could search releases this way now though).

Quote:
2) For A.N.N. to be a bit more pro active in letting the anime companies know which titles Dub LOVERS would be interested in seeing / buying
Good idea.

Lili-Hime wrote:
Also have you guys ever thought about doing news / reviews of any non japanese animation?
Yes! We'll start reviewing non-Japanese animation as soon as we've reviewed all the Japanese animation... That's actually not a sarcastic answer. We have nothing against non-Japanese animation, and we could debate forever about whether or not we should be covering it. But the debate is pointless, because as long as we aren't successfully covering everything Japanese, we aren't ready to try to cover something else... and we'll never be ready. That said, we do, very occasionally, cover stuff that we think would be of particular interest to anime fans. But the link needs to be really strong.

GokuMew2 wrote:
- A text transcript of ANNCast would be nice. Sometimes the topic that is being discussed sounds interesting but I don't have the time to listen. I'd rather just quickly read it instead.
I think Zac wants to do this, but it's time consuming.

configspace wrote:
Also, is Astro Toy still going on?
The column is finished. Coverage of the material (anime toys/figures/merch) will be back very soon.

Emerge wrote:
Also kinda amusing how the poll turned into an illegal stream database.
Crying or Very sad

Cosmos503 wrote:
My #1 request, is to bring back the old version of the Stream...I get it, too much for one person to watch (good thing really hehe), but it was the best way to quickly scan what new stuff was going on in the season,
I don't think there are any plans to bring the column back, it's redundant with the new streaming reviews. Those streaming reviews don't work for your purposes?
Quote:
Finally, more news from Funimation, especially what shows they plan to dub...
Well, we can't focus on "more news from one company." But we'll definitely try to make sure that all relevant news about what North American companies are bringing out is posted on the site. Actually, virtually all of it is, but with so much news, I think it would be great if we had some sort of status page on certain topics. For example a list of licensed, but unreleased anime...

Ingcoliptis wrote:
1. On the Topic of AdBlock: I think there should be something saying "please don't block ads". Kind of generic, but I wasn't even aware that ANN ran ads until this survey, and I bet there are other people that use AdBlock and don't know. Most people download it and forget about it, so something asking to turn it off might alert people that they should turn it off (which I am promptly doing in response).
Thank you for saying that!

Quote:
2. On the topic of a subscription service: I was unable to elaborate, as there was no text box, and the answer box was restricted to numbers, but I feel that "special perks" isn't enough information to put a price on. I suggest creating some kind of rough draft, and slowly revising it, with feedback from a select group (most likely that participated in the survey)/anyone on ANN.
I actually started doing exactly that last year. The project is temporarily stalled, but very high on my priority list.

doc-watson42 wrote:

Lastly, a second "Other" option for "Outside of anime and manga and other Japanese culture related interests, what are your other favorite hobbies / activities / interests ?" would have been helpful.
Unfortunately our survey software doesn't support that as an option.

Oraculo wrote:
So think of this what you will... but the main reason I use AdBlock for ANN are none of the above. I primarily use it to block the many offensive female T&A pictures on your site.
We recently added a feature to block all "PG13" skins on ANN. If you don't want to see T&A, just go to your account settings page. Unfortunately we haven't extended this to regular ads yet, but most of the problems were related to skins.

DK1105 wrote:
One thing I would like to see would be a preview guide wrap up article done. I love reading the preview guides but it is easy to miss something. Just a simple these are the show to really look out for would be nice. I think using the community score and comparing it to the staffs picks could be interesting. I tend to sway much more towards the staff opinions

Maybe a season wrap up that's more short form guide that leads into the more in-depth weekly write ups.
Both great ideas. I'll point them out to Zac.

bemused Bohemian wrote:
However, Re ANN Podcasts: could you PLEASE empty your guns and check your verbal bullets in before recording the interview and leave politics (right, left, wrong, indifferent, vitriolic, whatever) outside? It really ruins the audio experience listening to you guys/gals interject and/or wax/wane your agendas re politics/social engineering instead of stuff anime related.
Zac does love to speak about social issues that are important to him. I'm not certain he'd still be "Zac Bertschy" if he checked his politics at the door. I certainly understand your point of view though, and I'm sure Zac understands that you listen to the podcast to hear about anime, not politics. That said, when he talks about politics/social issues in anime, he is going to color it with his POV. The show was never meant to be an objective/neutral look at the issues. Anyways, he'll see your comment.

Spider wrote:
What about methods of consumption? There were several questions about devices, presumably regarding site format or how to deliver content and Ads. I am very much attached to the RSS feeds as they let me quickly tear through article titles/intros, and then I consume the content on the site with a Desktop/Laptop. Server side filtering options for more customization of feeds might actually be beneficial (though maybe that's just me). I wade through all the 'Interest' articles easily (offline even), separate from 'News' articles, and it's well worth it in is this format.
Yeah, that would have been an interesting question. We'll ask it next time. Thanks for you other comments, I have no immediate replies, but your comments were very insightful / interesting. Thanks.

Last edited by Tempest on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
I definitely prefer keeping forums on a separate page from the article itself. I know that isn't the modern way of doing things, but I feel like comments under the article end up getting lost pretty quickly and it tends to result in people only responding to whatever comments happen to be immediately visible.

The replies on this were 50/50. We're aware of the pro/cons, so we're going to have to think really deeply about whether or not to implement this, and if so, how to minimize the cons. As it is, we haven't made a decision.

I'm not a webdev so I don't know if this is feasiable. Maybe you could have single data but two displays to satisfy both? What I mean is you could keep it in the forums but have it optionally displayed/accessed in the article page, much like how you have options for some other site details.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Chrno2 wrote:
I kind of enjoyed the survey, but I'm surprised there were no options for N/A.
From the survey introduction "For "none of the above" you can leave any question blank."

Thanks Tempest (we got a new avatar). I wasn't sure doing that was applicable. I'll keep that in mind toward future surveys. Surprised
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
However, Re ANN Podcasts: could you PLEASE empty your guns and check your verbal bullets in before recording the interview and leave politics (right, left, wrong, indifferent, vitriolic, whatever) outside? It really ruins the audio experience listening to you guys/gals interject and/or wax/wane your agendas re politics/social engineering instead of stuff anime related.

I need some examples of "political opinions" you find distasteful or otherwise unwelcome in the show. We never discuss politics on the podcast itself. If the issue is "don't say things I don't agree with" I can't accommodate you on that.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say I'm extremely against putting comments under the articles; in my experience, this invites a fire-and-forget attitude towards them, whereas the current forum format makes it easy and convenient(but for the broken new post feature) to keep up with them, even if you don't post.
Chocolate Misu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Chocolate Misu wrote:

3 - ANN contests wrapped up in a timely fashion
I pretty much have to decide if we're going to stop doing contests because we just don't have the time to wrap them up on time... Sorry. Is it better late than never, or better to just not run them ?

I'd say best to not run them at all if it's going to take a couple months to finish up. I entered the Index/Railgun contest and have been fretting about it for weeks because I have to move and change addresses soon (not that I'd win it anyway). I'm sure other apartment dwellers have the same worries of having to move before winners are announced.

edit - I remember thinking when the VAMPS ticket contest was announced that the winner would probably get their tickets a month after the concert lol Laughing
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Chocolate Misu wrote:
Tempest wrote:

I'd say best to not run them at all if it's going to take a couple months to finish up. I entered the Index/Railgun contest and have been fretting about it for weeks because I have to move and change addresses soon (not that I'd win it anyway). I'm sure other apartment dwellers have the same worries of having to move before winners are announced.

I am of the opposite opinion. I am of the school of thought that winning something free in a contest is worth the wait. The vast majority are not under the same constraints you mentioned. Plus, if the issue is a change in address and you're one of the winners you could always PM the staff you're new one if you're announced as a winner. I think the effort and attempt to do the contests and offer free prizes, normally of decent value and quality at that, are worth the wait. Perhaps a more happy medium of announcing the winners quicker if possible would suffice.
Chocolate Misu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
And here we have to value the worth of the wait. To me I would value the wait more if there was a definite day winners would be announced. But since there is no definite date most of the time and we've witnessed some contests not even having winners at all, it becomes less worth it. And if they can't promise to announce winners any faster, then I don't really value it at all anymore.

edit - I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon but I remember the "what does Sailor Moon mean to you" contest left a bad taste in my mouth....
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Chocolate Misu wrote:

The winners for that contest were notified a month and a half ago...

The page on ANN was just never updated.
Chocolate Misu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
My reading ability derped hard just then... Never mind what I just typed. Laughing

I guess that brings us to another functional request I was going to suggest. The search could use some help. Is there a way to filter search results from the most recent to least recent news results? I was trying to find the article about the last volume of Chi's Sweet Home the other day and couldn't find that either... Laughing
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Chocolate Misu wrote:
I guess that brings us to another functional request I was going to suggest. The search could use some help. Is there a way to filter search results from the most recent to least recent news results? I was trying to find the article about the last volume of Chi's Sweet Home the other day and couldn't find that either... Laughing

A fixed search is... on our to-do list <sigh>.

In the meantime, I suggest going to the Chi's Sweet Home page in the encyclopedia and looking under "in the news."
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Related to that is this issue, where not everything for a title shows up in its Encyclopedia entry.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Whomever added the "Cels and Genga" tab doesn't quite understand artwork. It should read "Cels and Douga". Most people don't collect genga; those are the preliminary sketches that become the douga and they're usually discarded. Douga are done on the white sheets of paper and are the final copy.

Anyways, enough nitpicking over technical terms.

I think I've mentioned it before on earlier surveys, but I would like to see ANN spread out into other areas that interest people. While I realize that a lot of the interest columns are geared towards sponsors because they pay the bills, there are a good amount of readers on this site who are interested in the dynamics behind the series they enjoy from an animation perspective. Having a couple of columns geared towards artwork would be interesting as would having a column or two on those that collect shikishi. There is a small, but vocal, community on Rubberslug, many of whom are dedicated and active collectors. I'm not sure if he'd be up for it, but if anyone could write an engaging column, I'd recommend Sensei. He knows a lot about the media, is the one person pretty much everyone in the community turns to for artwork and/or preservation advice, and is also a former English professor.

I often feel that the convention columns focus more on cosplay and industry panels offered and less on the actual meat of the con. Some of the guest panels are very interesting and provide a better picture of the industry and that individual's experiences in it. While some of these guests are sometimes covered in an interview, I often feel that other sites are better able to cover this area than ANN.
wewtgoose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Registered just to ask about a possible feature. I visit ANN daily and consume the News more than anything. I don't care for dubs and am not interested in news about it. However, filtering out "Anime" or "News" as a category is too broad of a brush just to avoid those topics. Would there be a reasonable way to add and filter out sub-topics (no pun intended)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7