• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Gets 1st New TV Anime in 18 Years in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
Kuroko the Best Stalker wrote:
They are milking it for all it's worth. And Toei? smh
Will this be one chapter per episode..

Seeing as this will be original to animation instead of adapting something, they can go at whatever pace they need.

Thespacemaster wrote:
hey if there is going to be anime that is going to officially make the GT SAGA non canon i am in,,, but they had better not mess this up like last time so i am cautious >.>

The movies have already made GT non-cannon so don't worry. This will most definitely end up better because the original creator is actually involved this time.

OH&S wrote:
Why? WHY!? What more can Toriyama bring to the series 18 years after GT? He was fed up with it by the end of the Buu Saga and his newest movies have shown that the most innovative thing he's come up with in the past 20 or so years is to change the hair colour of Goku from black to red or yellow to blue.

I'm not saying my inner child isn't intrigued by the major inspiration of a whole 2 generations returning but progress has been made in storytelling in the anime/manga industry. We can't keep going back to DB again and again.

I guess you're just basing this off of screens since you sound like you haven't even seen BotG. He completely opened up the DB universe with talks of dimensions and even possibly more saiyans out there. It's pretty exciting to me and other fans. He said himself he's going to take focus away from transformations, the SS SSG thing was just a gimmick for the movie. Progress has been made and Akira Toriyama has done plenty of things and has grown as an artist as well so I think it's safe to say the new series will thrive as long as he's inspired. You say "we can't keep going back to DB again and again" but the last series was 18 years ago, dude.

antasad wrote:
Soo...

Will this be 'just another GT'?

Or will this be a 'well-overseen by Toriyama' kind of GT?

Is GT replaced by this, then? (story timeline-wise)

GT is definitely out of the picture now. And this is basically the original author creating the anime straight on instead of drawing a manga first and having it adapted by a studio.

Dietrihm7 wrote:
Dragon ball is a dinosaur, it spawned many things in it's image and the parts that weren't used in evolution died off. Toriyama helped sire in some of the greatest mangaka of our time, but beyond a nostalgic factor and as new material for die hards, I don't see this project reaching a new audience. The game has changed, and manga's&anime that contain the same quality of depth as DB are either grand fathered into relevance (One Piece) or shuffled into the fluff Shonen category(not a compliment).

I don't want to see Toriyama's legacy tarnished in any way, but that's what will happen if he continues to hang around too long.

Where have you been the last few years. DB hype is stronger than ever. It started with Kai a few years ago, so the exposure to newer generations is definitely there. They're still airing Kai and are actually on the final arc so this is good timing. As we saw with Battle of the Gods, Toriyama has found a way to recapture the heart of Dragon Ball and still have the serious action elements of Z. BotG was a spectacular return to form that seemed like a warm up for something greater. His legacy won't be tarnished any time soon. Have you seen the box office numbers for Revival of F?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
I just find it funny how everything in GT has been rendered as an alternate continuity at best. DB Online wrote a completely different scenario for Post-Buu with Gohan writing a study about the art of Ki manipulation, the recent movies have shown blatant disregard to GT possibly being canon at all, Xenoverse has mentioned as a split timeline, and now this.

In fact, it seems like Toriyama is bringing more elements of the deceased DB Online into the mix more and more, so I wonder if elements of that will make it into Super Dragon Ball.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
i had a feeling this was coming. I mean you kinda had a feeling they weren't going to let this series keeping running with just film releases ...
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
I know it says after buu but how many years after buu? wil it start where Z ended with Goku traing Uub or wil it start after Resurrection F?

I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!

the only other thing I think it could be is a mini series set after Resurrection F but before Goku went to train Uub

but for me I hope it's after Z ended, I liked GT but these new movies have made GT mute point

still it would be nice if they would keep SSJ4 in this new series, SSJ4 is cool
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
ShinuZERO wrote:

I guess you're just basing this off of screens since you sound like you haven't even seen BotG. He completely opened up the DB universe with talks of dimensions and even possibly more saiyans out there. It's pretty exciting to me and other fans. He said himself he's going to take focus away from transformations, the SS SSG thing was just a gimmick for the movie. Progress has been made and Akira Toriyama has done plenty of things and has grown as an artist as well so I think it's safe to say the new series will thrive as long as he's inspired. You say "we can't keep going back to DB again and again" but the last series was 18 years ago, dude.

Look. IF Toriyama genuinely manages to bring something new and exciting to the table with this series that allows it to stand on its own without being propped up by the original series, then of course I'll gladly welcome it.

But the series is teasing a new foe stronger than Buu and Frieza so the problem of Power Creep in the series will be showing its ugly face again. There's been different dimensions since the Buu Arc so that's hardly new. The prospect of more saiyans isnt really exciting (its actually rather annoying if more and more keep popping out).Toriyama may have become a better artist but that only affects character designs as this isnt a manga.

The thing that I'll be looking out for is how Toriyama has grown as a storyteller and how much he has grown since setting the standard for shonen manga fights.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
Mixed feelings here. On one hand, this is exactly what I wanted whether it was me as a child back or now after seeing the wastes of potential that Kai and the most of the material after it (not seen the Frieza movie yet - not expecting good writing or power balance).

On the other, Dragon Ball hit a chord with me mostly within the 16 volumes and the addition of more contrived forms, bosses and interactions is only serving to make the experience more convoluted.

Some of the games (Dragon Ball Origins, Ultimate Butoden, Legacy of Goku 2 to name a few) were actually doing a great job at carrying on the legacy and to be frank, I don't think Toei even if there is "Toriyama supervision" (Whether it is "Original Creator: Akira Toriyama" or more) can step it up especially with some of their recent animated projects.

We haven't heard about how long they intend this last, but I hope for a short and sweet addition to the series even if they are implying that there will be a new big bad and perhaps a slow arc dedicated to training to beat this new foe. I hope the main voice cast members are healthy and available enough to live through the project, this isn't the 80s and 90s after all and we did lose some voices even back then (Roshi is on his fourth voice actor - mostly due to recasting but he also lost his first one before DBZ ended).
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
[Powers up Internally]
Kaitonic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
So damn hyper for that and after being a big fan of since more than 15 years ago, I can't wait to see what the plat will be and can't wait for it this July.
MinoDMC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
Great news !!!

Dragon Ball is my favourite anime from the time when I was a kid.
I hope the series will be very long.
I can't wait for the premiere !!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
Oh wow.

I'm...not sure how I feel about this...
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
I pray that the eldest cast members stay healthy. If the new series ends up being on the same level as Battle of the Gods (haven't seen F yet), then I'm going to be pleased.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
I guess by new means a series not based off of the manga since DB Kai 2014 is rather new but manga based.
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
OH&S wrote:
Look. IF Toriyama genuinely manages to bring something new and exciting to the table with this series that allows it to stand on its own without being propped up by the original series, then of course I'll gladly welcome it.

But the series is teasing a new foe stronger than Buu and Frieza so the problem of Power Creep in the series will be showing its ugly face again. There's been different dimensions since the Buu Arc so that's hardly new. The prospect of more saiyans isnt really exciting (its actually rather annoying if more and more keep popping out).Toriyama may have become a better artist but that only affects character designs as this isnt a manga.

The thing that I'll be looking out for is how Toriyama has grown as a storyteller and how much he has grown since setting the standard for shonen manga fights.

The power creep can be avoided with clever writing, as proved by the movies. I wasn't just talking about his art, he also wrote as well as drew many manga since DB ended. Jaco the Galactic Patrol Man and Sand Land in particular stand out as great manga in their own right. He's definitely grown as a storyteller. You're acting as if the movies didn't happen, which clearly prove he's still got it.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
Excitement level over 9000! That's impossible! It can't be!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
Excitement level over 9000! That's impossible! It can't be!

I think it is possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9