• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Gets 1st New TV Anime in 18 Years in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziko577

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Damn! Now I guess that's another show for the summer to watch. Please don't suck like Saint Seiya Omega did. Smile
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
This is super exciting! Dragon Ball Z was my very first anime, and still my favorite. I was seriously obsessed with it for many years. I remember when, for years, all we had were the 3 TV series (508 episodes) with 17 movies (4 DB, 13 DBZ) and 3 TV specials (2 DBZ, 1 GT). Then we got the two new movies, and now a new TV series. My inner 8 year old is ready!

I do enjoy GT, though the final arc is pretty underwhelming, even if the actual ending is strong. This will probably take place after the Majin Buu fight, but before the 10 year time skip in the last 3 episodes, in which case it won't quite erase GT. I honestly wish they would do more DBZ stuff that takes place pre-Buu, like during the 3 year time skip before the Android Saga, that the anime surprisingly had almost no filler for.

It's actually going to be on TV, so the budget will probably be higher than Sailor Moon Crystal, which debuted as an ONA (Original-Net-Animation). The animation should be better quality. And yes, the original DBZ and Sailor Moon had cheap animation too. Honestly, as far as animation quality goes, GT looked the best.

And so much time has gone by, I'm sure everyone has fresh ideas now. The franchise has been going strong nonstop in the US since 1996, but it had a long dormant period in Japan.

I suspect FUNimation will simulcast this. They might even do a simuldub. If they do that, I WILL sign up for their Elite Video subscription, no questions asked. Maybe it will simuldub on Toonami.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Well I have yet to watch DB sub and it will continue that way lets just hope Funi will simulcast this on Toonami
Toonami4Eva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, this cant be happening Anime hyper
I dont want to watch it but the fanboy kid in me says I must
Please just dont make it as crappy as GT with Kakarot being the focus. I want to see some epic fights with Uub and maybe Pan going Super Saiyan even if she's not useful. Oh I want to see SSG Vegito if possible Anime smile + sweatdrop he's my favorite character and he'd look sick as a SSG.
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Akira Toriyama is shaping up to be either the George Lucas or JK Rowling of manga. After creating a mega-hit franchise, he's afraid to try something new, and if he does, it ends up bombing because it's not as good as Star Wars/Harry Potter/Dragon Ball.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. DB really burnt him out, especially since it lasted longer than he intended due to pressure from his editors. After the hyper successful series he was able to take it easy and do a bunch of one shots and self contained stories. He seemed to be pretty content with that and some game design work. I don't think he was ever shooting for another on-going series. As an artist, a weekly series takes a toll on you. DB was definitely his magnum opus, and after 20 years it seems like he's finally accepted that. It touched the hearts of millions of people and now he's rested and ready to make some more.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Akira Toriyama is shaping up to be either the George Lucas or JK Rowling of manga. After creating a mega-hit franchise, he's afraid to try something new, and if he does, it ends up bombing because it's not as good as Star Wars/Harry Potter/Dragon Ball.

What in the actual fudge? What are you even blathering about? His one shots in the years after DB are full of some bonafied Gems. I suggest you read Cowa and maybe even Jaco. They're great fun.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

The thing you're missing is that Dragon Ball isn't Akira Toriyama first mega-hit franchise! NO! He already had made Dr. Slump, that was so popular that it was the anime that made the manga industry start to make popular titles into anime a normal occurrence.

Dr.Slump is still today the anime from Weekly Shonen Jump with biggest TV rankings!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
ShinuZERO wrote:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. DB really burnt him out, especially since it lasted longer than he intended due to pressure from his editors. After the hyper successful series he was able to take it easy and do a bunch of one shots and self contained stories. He seemed to be pretty content with that and some game design work. I don't think he was ever shooting for another on-going series. As an artist, a weekly series takes a toll on you. DB was definitely his magnum opus, and after 20 years it seems like he's finally accepted that. It touched the hearts of millions of people and now he's rested and ready to make some more.

That and he was already successful as a manga-ka even before Dragon Ball started with Dr. Slump already putting his name on the map. After DBZ he was set for life and is clearly coming back to it due to a resurgence in popularity and a genuine love for the series. For Lucas and Rowling their respective series put them on the map and have failed to garner any attention for any other projects, making people wonder if they're just one-hit wonders (though Lucas at least also had Indiana Jones under his belt). Lucas went back to Star Wars clearly because of legit artistic reasons (though they didn't work) and Rowling went back to Harry Potter after her attempt to be taken "seriously" flopped.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Is July enough time for them to have anything ready?
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I got tired of DBZ as whole as I grew up(loved it when I was younger of course), and told myself I would only watch anything DBZ related if it is new content. I watched KnK, and will watch FnF. Now I can watch Super. We just need to know when exactly after Buu.

We all know Funi is going to call it DBZ: Super. lol
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I am super excited for the series. I just hope that it starts where the last movie ended and not before. And with Akira Toriyama involved then it should be better then GT at least. I was hoping this would happen and that they would not make just movies. Now I just have to wait til July.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
The thing you're missing is that Dragon Ball isn't Akira Toriyama first mega-hit franchise! NO! He already had made Dr. Slump, that was so popular that it was the anime that made the manga industry start to make popular titles into anime a normal occurrence.

Dr.Slump is still today the anime from Weekly Shonen Jump with biggest TV rankings!

Yeah, but "Dr. Slump" doesn't get talked about as much. To give yet another George Lucas comparison, "Dr. Slump" is Toriyama's "American Graffiti" (moderately successful) while "Dragon Ball" was his "Star Wars" (his even more popular work that eclipsed the predecessor).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
My brother shared this with me this morning; I'm definitely excited. ^^

I'm hoping that Funi and Toonami will be able to do a broadcast dub like they did with Space Dandy. It'd be so awesome if they could do that!
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
antasad wrote:
Soo...

Will this be 'just another GT'?

Or will this be a 'well-overseen by Toriyama' kind of GT?

Is GT replaced by this, then? (story timeline-wise)

even Toriyama hated GT so it's safe to say this will be more canon then that series.
ETX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, there are people complaining that the Naruto franchise needs to end already...

Dragon Ball says hello. Again. 18 years later. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9