• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Universal Theme Parks to Feature Nintendo Attractions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping for some Pokémon attractions!
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this is something they might eventually replace the Marvel Super Hero Island portion of Islands of Adventure with. I've been wondering if they'll eventually change that now that Disney owns Marvel Entertainment. Seems kind of silly to have a large portion of their park dedicated to properties owned by their biggest competitor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LokiReed

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
This sounds really cool, but is this Universal Japan only, or does it include the U.S. as well?
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:
This sounds really cool, but is this Universal Japan only, or does it include the U.S. as well?

Most likely both. Both Kyoto and Orlando were mentioned in the PR announcement.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, the folks in Florida can look forward to seeing a Super Mario theme park sometime in the future. Smile
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Rainbow road roller coaster! (That would be my childhood dream come true right there.) A Pokemon merry go round! Kirby 4-D rides! Luigi's haunted Mansion... POKEMON SNAP THE RIDE!!!! (You know like the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at Disney only instead of shooting laser's at targets for points your shooting pictures of Pokemon for points!) The possibilities are endless!!!!
Jex2193

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Rainbow road roller coaster! (That would be my childhood dream come true right there.) A Pokemon merry go round! Kirby 4-D rides! Luigi's haunted Mansion... POKEMON SNAP THE RIDE!!!! (You know like the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at Disney only instead of shooting laser's at targets for points your shooting pictures of Pokemon for points!) The possibilities are endless!!!!

Just reading your post got me hyped. A Rainbow Road roller coaster? I hate roller coasters but I would go on that one just because of Rainbow road.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
I wonder if this is something they might eventually replace the Marvel Super Hero Island portion of Islands of Adventure with. I've been wondering if they'll eventually change that now that Disney owns Marvel Entertainment. Seems kind of silly to have a large portion of their park dedicated to properties owned by their biggest competitor.
I personally doubt it, but that's just me. From my understanding, the Marvel Super Hero Island part of the park is still one of the most successful portions of the entirety of Universal Orlando, and one of Universal's biggest draws (the Hulk roller coaster) is there. That said, they do sell a lot of Marvel stuff, and that's money that's going to Disney, so... yeah. You have a point on the merchandise front lol

That said, I think the most likely possibility is that Lost Continent gets torn down finally. As much goofy, kitshy fun it has going for it, there's no denying that the attractions are pretty lackluster compared to other areas, it has no theme based around a preexisting property and (most importantly) attendance always seems to be pretty low. Of course, time will tell.

I'd be shocked and really upset if they gutted the Marvel stuff. Literally some of my favorite parts of that park; the Spider-Man thing, Doctor Doom drop and the Hulk coaster are all amazing.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:
I personally doubt it, but that's just me. From my understanding, the Marvel Super Hero Island part of the park is still one of the most successful portions of the entirety of Universal Orlando, and one of Universal's biggest draws (the Hulk roller coaster) is there. That said, they do sell a lot of Marvel stuff, and that's money that's going to Disney, so... yeah. You have a point on the merchandise front lol

That said, I think the most likely possibility is that Lost Continent gets torn down finally. As much goofy, kitshy fun it has going for it, there's no denying that the attractions are pretty lackluster compared to other areas, it has no theme based around a preexisting property and (most importantly) attendance always seems to be pretty low. Of course, time will tell.

I'd be shocked and really upset if they gutted the Marvel stuff. Literally some of my favorite parts of that park; the Spider-Man thing, Doctor Doom drop and the Hulk coaster are all amazing.

Most fellow Floridians I've talked to seem to think both Marvel Super Hero Island and Toon Town are most likely to go. Marvel because it's largely owned by Disney now, and Toon Town because it's so dated. I think they wouldn't be gutted though so much as rethemed, like how many of the rides that were originally part of Lost Continent were rethemed for Wizarding World of Harry Potter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CR85747

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
LokiReed wrote:

Most likely both. Both Kyoto and Orlando were mentioned in the PR announcement.

Kyoto and Orlando were mentioned in their contexts as the HQs of Nintendo and Universal Parks.

Not that Nintendo isn't coming to Universal's American parks, especially that the announcement didn't limit itself to any particular region.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1