• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Frequent logouts

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Around the time things were going sideways for the subscribers using HTTPS Everywhere, I started noticing the site was asking for me to log back in almost every time I visited. Not a subscriber. Not using HTTPS everywhere (or any other new plugins.) As mentioned in the other thread, there have been a number of out-of-bounds warning messages, but that's happening in lots of places, so probably unrelated.

Most recently it happened twice this evening. The first I expected, as one of the earlier tabs had to be forced closed (wasn't on ANN.) The next time I opened IE11 (after closing normally & cleanly) to do a quick search, it again asked me to login.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
1) did you check the "remember me" option?
2) is your browser setup to discard cookies upon exit? (i.e. permanent cookies converted to session cookies)

Either way, you have to find out what happens to the "remember_user" cookie that allows you to automatically relogin when you visit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook--

You mention using the IE11 browser. Have you considered using either the Firefox &/or Chrome web browsers?
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4444393#4444393
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Dan:
1 - Yes, I make sure to check the box before swiping to let the password manager enter the information. Yes, the box was checked when I first saved it, so no risk of it having remembered the box unchecked.
2 - No, cookies are retained. Should it be named differently than [email protected] or contain anything other than just some token string? I don't recall whether the front page layout is maintained even when it forces the new login, which might speak to this point some.

nobahn: Yes? No? Either way, not interested.

EDIT (5/11): despite already being logged in, the credential manager wanted to help log me in, but it might have been related to the "site unavailable" errors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1