• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Feedback response time

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
I made a suggestion in the Spoiler Tags Guidelines discussion thread almost a week ago that still has not generated any kind of ANN response. Not even a "we're looking into this and we'll get back to you" acknowledgement.

What is the point of having a Feedback forum if feedback is simply going to be ignored?

The problem is Christopher MacDonald has never bothered to appoint anyone who has responsibility for this forum. There is obviously no policy of answering any suggestion (even with just an acknowledgement) within a specified time period. It's the classic diffusion of responsibility result. Nobody is responsible, so multiple people (may) see a post and think, "eh, somebody else will take care of that." And of course, nobody does.

I can tell you as a customer this is an really annoying and frustrating state of affairs.

It would be great if ANN formulated some kind of policy for responding to feedback in a timely fashion. This is not a heavily used forum (probably for obvious reasons) so it doesn't seem like a timely response should be a massive drain on ANN resources.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
^
FWIW, I have been keeping track of where your post is located relative to everything else in the ANN Feedback forum. Since no one has bumped your posting from the #1 spot in the forum, I -- for one -- felt no need to respond. Since I am proscribed from detailing what goes on in the Staff forum, I cannot satisfy your curiosity about what kind of discussion is taking place at the moment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Rest assured, nobahn, I do not blame any of the moderators for this state of affairs. It is up to ownership to ensure proper response protocols are in place, not staff. It only becomes staff's duty to ensure the protocols are followed once they've been formulated.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
You're right, there is no one "responsible" for this forum.

I'd like to have one employee responsible for the entire community aspect of the site, but we don't have the budget for that.

I read every *new* thread posted in this forum within a few days of it being posted, and I decide whether it warrants immediate response, "looking into..." if it relates to the news team, I send them a link, if it's dev related I send it to Dan, if it's about reviews or columns I send it to Zac, etc... At that point, the thread "belongs" to that person and I don't get involved unless they ask me to.

That was an ongoing discussion and I was satisfied with how the moderators were handling it. So no, I wasn't reading that discussion anymore.

Even if we did have a dedicated community manager, I wouldn't expect him to follow threads that he felt he no longer needed to follow (ie: something that was being handled by another staff, or a volunteer).

In other words, that thread belongs to the moderators, and unless they bring it to my attention, I'm not going to look at it again. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I'll take a look at it next week when I'm working on forum stuff (Right now I'm here for the survey, and I only stopped by this forum because I saw a new thread in feedback).
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi Blood,

I'm sorry that I didn't sticky the thread myself. I wanted to, but I honestly didn't know that mods had the ability. I thought that only admins could do so and mods had to request it to be done. But I just found where and how to do so (after some digging around).

Huh.

Now I feel kinda blind and stupid. Whelp, the more you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
@ willag - I'm not sure how stickying (is that even a word???) this thread would have made any difference with respect to generating a response to my suggestion.

In any case, here is my suggestion going forward: mods should monitor this forum closely. It's not a very active forum, so this should not be difficult.

If a post that contains a suggestion has not generated a response within 48 hours, a mod should post a reply to it along the lines of, "thanks very much for this suggestion, it has been put forward for discussion and we'll get back to you as soon as possible" or words to that effect. Naturally, whatever the suggestion was should be posted in the private staff forum that admin/mods use to communicate with each other.

At least that way the poster knows his or her post has been seen.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I meant stickying the Spoiler Tag thread to the anime forum (or to this forum, which was my original intention). I imagine the other mods didn't touch it or do anything to it because it was my thread and we're told to not interfere with other mod's work. It wasn't until nobahn stickied the thread himself that it became apparent to me that I could have done it myself at any time. I was waiting on admin approval and for an admin to do it, previously. Admin were probably confused by the fact that I sent a PM requesting they do it when it was in my ability the entire time.

Anyways, you're right, I could have at least posted a response saying that we were working on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1